The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 1, 2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Stiletto

Aiming sequence

Quick question, how do you guys aim? Do you put the gun out, sight in, and lower to target? Or do you raise to target?
Old April 1, 2005, 02:52 PM   #2
gb_in_ga

Depends on what I'm doing at the time. Rapid fire -- raise to, it is faster. Slow fire for accuracy -- raise through, then drop to. That's the way I learned to do it when I used to shoot tournament/match archery (NFAA freestyle class: compound target bow, long stabilizer, V-Bar counter weights, scope & trigger release), where tack-driving accuracy was the name of the game.
Old April 1, 2005, 07:09 PM   #3
Dwight55

Old habits die hard (if at all), . . . and mine is no different. I was always taught in younger years to lift the muzzle so you always come down on the target and practice so that "on target" and "trigger release" occur simultaneously.

Thass the way I do it, . . . works for me.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 1, 2005, 07:14 PM   #4
Springer45

Never thought about it before, but interesting question...I guess I go high on the bull, drop down, then raise slightly. No formal training though.
Old April 1, 2005, 08:53 PM   #5
USP45usp

I'm with Springer45, I've never really thought about it. I guess I just try to come on target. I have a slight tremor in my arms/hands (do to loss of muscle mass) and so I have to kinda fire when I'm "zeroed".

The only thing that I really notice is my breathing. I come onto target and inhale and then exhale slowly as I'm pulling the trigger.

I just tried to reenact what I do (gun empty, no round chambered, triple checked) and I just try to come right onto target. Draw, out, up to target POA I guess (depending if I have to aim high or low but normal target sight is just Draw, straight out).

Now with rifle, I aim high and then come down on target but that again is my breathing. When you inhale your lungs push your arms up and then when you exhale it brings everything down and when you hit "zero" then you fire. Anyway, that's the way I do it and as Mr. Dwight puts it,

Quote:
Thass the way I do it, . . . works for me.
Wayne
Old April 2, 2005, 12:00 AM   #6
Steve in PA

You should always come up to the target, never down. The reason being you never want to block the target.
Old April 2, 2005, 10:42 AM   #7
eka

All the firearms instructors I have been around over the years have taught to come out of the holster, push the pistol straight at the target, focus on the front sight, and press the trigger straight back.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old April 2, 2005, 11:03 AM   #8
yorec

Yep eka - pretty much part of the draw - bringing the pistol up in both hands to chest level and then "pressing" or "punching" out toward the target is the method in vogue rigth now... Find the front sight as the pistol comes to the end of the thrust - with numerous repetitions it will be close to on target the the trigger press can begin immediately. Wouldn't call this raising or lowering - but either could happen depending on where the "punch out" ends up.

Another method I've been taught though, is to swing the gun up from waist level - like a pump handle - catching the sights as they rise on target. (if at all - this is a method used in drawing for "point shooting" where sighted fire is not always waited for...) Guess you'd call this method raising to target, but the sights aren't consulted unless the distance is over 10 yards.
Old April 2, 2005, 11:30 AM   #9
USP45usp

Quote:
You should always come up to the target, never down. The reason being you never want to block the target.
Makes sense .

Wayne
Old April 2, 2005, 12:13 PM   #10
gb_in_ga

"You should always come up to the target, never down. The reason being you never want to block the target."

If you are shooting rapid fire, yes. If you are doing a combat draw, yes. If you are slow firing for pinpoint accuracy, no.
Old April 2, 2005, 04:51 PM   #11
Steve in PA

Fight like you train, train like you fight.

If you are a bullseye shooter, then coming down on target would work. If you are not a bullseye shooter then I would not recommend that technique.

I have one part-time LEO in my department, who was "taught" to come down on the target. I keep reminding him that is not the way it should be done in the real (street) world.