The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2007, 10:42 PM   #1
RockyMtDan

Winchester Model 70 Bolt Binding

I have a 5 year old Winchester Model 70 that has some accuracy problems. 1 out of every 3 or 4 shots is off by a few inches at 100 yrds. It may be me but I suspect the gun. I took stock off the other day and when I reassembled it the bolt was difficult to close. It moves smoothly through most of the stroke but binds just as it closes. There are 3 screws that hold the action to the stock. I followed instructions to tighten the front screw first, then the rear screw and finally middle screw and that the front screw should be very tight, the rear screw fairly tight and the middle screw just snug. In order to get the action to close smoothly I need to loosen the front screw until it is snug but not tight. I would appreciate any advice anyone could give on if this could be causing my accuracy problems and what I need to do to resolve the issue.
Old November 25, 2007, 10:55 PM   #2
Gbro

For whatever reason your magazine Trapdoor screw is binding up the bolt. it may have been over-tightened, or just a bit to long.
The trap door screw is the shorter of the 3 screws by .325 inch. The screw should measure about 1.395 inches.
Maybe all you have to do is cut the screw down 1/8 inch.

You could cut a small shim from like a credit card that will fit into the pillar pocket of the stock. That would help with the long screw problem and also free float the barrel.
Old November 25, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3
RockyMtDan

Thanks

The credit card shim did the trick. Both front and back screws are tight and the bolt closes nicely. Now I just have to get it to the range and test the accuracy.
Old November 25, 2007, 11:34 PM   #4
Gbro

While we are at it, I should have mentioned that it is good to be able to slide, like a $1.00 bill between the stock and barrel. if unable to do that another shim would be inserted, Free Floating is a poor mans way of accurizing a rifle.
Of course a $100.00 bill would be better That would mean you could afford to have it glass bedded.
Old November 26, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Harry Bonar

mod 70

Sir:
Now that you have that shim in there be very careful about tightening that center screw too tight! I'd get some "steel-bed" from Brownells and bed it right - follow directions and you can do it yourself! Yea, free float that bbl.
Harry B.
Old November 26, 2007, 09:08 PM   #6
Gbro

Rocky;
You should check the bolt for abrasions from that screw. It may need to be cleaned up a bit.
On the paper money to check for clearance, you won't be able to run the full length of the barrel because of the profile.
Harry thanks for that advice i will do that to my grandsons Model 70.
Old December 21, 2007, 04:19 PM   #7
RockyMtDan

I went to the range last weekend and the credit card shim did the trick. The accuracy is much better. I guess I will be glass bedding it soon. Thanks for the help.
Old February 5, 2012, 12:13 PM   #8
beerad57

Model 70 Action Mount Screws

On the Mod 70 question about bolt being tight after reassembly. Check to make sure the screws are in the right holes. The trigger guard screw is longer, the middle screw is longer, but the front (magazine hinge plate ) screw is the shortest of the 3. Both the front and rearmost screws must be snugged tightly, but in order - meaning tighten one, then the other, in sequence, a little each time until both are tight. The blind screw (middle screw covered under the magazine door) is about as long as the rear screw, but it must only be tightened until you feel some resistance and then maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 turn beyond at the most.

I suspect you have the middle or rear screw in the front hinge position and it is way too long and may be binding the bolt. Take them out and check this.

Also, you may have ruined your front action bedding and this will decrease the length of the socket for the front screw or a combination of the 2. Check it and see.

TIP - I find that painting the front screw and the area under the hinge the same color helps remind you to keep it up front. This problem is easy to fix but it can ruin a range session or worst a hunting trip if you are not careful.
Beerad