The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Waldog

Copper plated bullet and polygonal barrels?

I have an H&K USP pistol that sports a "polygonal" rifled barrel. I shoot IDPA matches. Reloading components have gotten so expensive I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to jacketed bullets. I know that it is not recommended to shoot cast lead bullets in this type barrel. Does anyone have experience re-loading and shooting copper plated lead bullets through this type of barrel? Any suggestions or recommendations!!

Last edited by Waldog; September 4, 2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old September 4, 2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Trapper L

I shoot Rainier plated bullets thru my Baby Eagles poly rifled barrel at max loads. It will shoot better than most are capable of shooting and I've had no issues with the pistol. Barrel stays clean even after several hundred rounds.
Old September 4, 2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Namerifrats

I was asking about this over at Cast Boolits. I can't find anybody that says they've had any trouble firing Cast bullets through a Polygonal barrel. I have a CZ-82 in 9x18 Makarov and plan to shoot cast through it.
Old September 4, 2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Linear Thinker

After many tens of thousands of rounds of copper-plated Rainier and Berry bullets through my Glocks and P7s, there has never been an issue. I did not observe any undue buildup in the bore, even when not cleaning a gun for a few thousand rounds.
Glock has recommended against lead bullets in THEIR polygonal bores, but I have fired those as well, with no issues.
I won't use exposed lead any longer, due to 20+ PPB lead level in my blood, but that's a different story.
So, enjoy the copper plated heads, you poly-bore gun will have no issues.
LT
Old September 4, 2007, 11:22 PM   #5
keebo52

My CZ-82 9x18 has a polygonal barrel shoots cast bullets with no problems.
Old September 5, 2007, 08:31 AM   #6
Mach II Sailor

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node...fled%20barrels

i hope this helps.