The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 18, 2020, 04:14 PM   #1
deerslayer303

For those of you who roll your own

HEY YA FELLERS!!

Long time no chat. I just wanted to drop by and give you guys who roll paper cartridges the source for this paper. My little boy is all into magic stuff. SO, his Mother not knowing what she was ordering orders him some flash paper, well it comes in today and he come running out to the shop where I'm working on an Outboard a whole sheet of Flash paper in one hand a lighter in the other and says "Hey Dad check out this flash paper! Before he could light it I said WHOA DO NOT LIGHT THAT WHOLE PIECE! He had no idea what it would do. So I took about a one inch by one inch piece and lit it for him, it does exactly what its supposed to it flashes and GONE, it burns to NOTHING. It scared him and he doesn't want anything to do with it. Anyway fast forward to a few minutes ago, my wife comes home from work. ME: WHAT ON EARTH made you order our son FLASH PAPER??!! HER: He wanted it. ME: WELL if he wants a rocket launcher are ya gonna order him that too??? LOL it was hilarious. Anyway, This paper would be perfect for rolling paper cartridges. it is shipped wet so you have to let it dry before using. Here is the link
https://www.evaneratv.com/products/magic-flash-paper
Old May 18, 2020, 05:53 PM   #2
rodwhaincamo

That’s some really expensive paper! I’ve used American Spirits papers (flax) and they do quite well. It does often leave little shards in a chamber or three, but I tried 3 cylinders full without removing them and it didn’t harm their function.
Old May 18, 2020, 06:18 PM   #3
Hawg

Most people on forums I frequent that roll their own use untreated hair curler paper. I've used tea bags with excellent results but the curler paper is a lot cheaper.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:22 PM   #4
44 Dave

Just tonight did another 50 .44s with a Johnson and Dow conical.
First started paper cartridges was using nitrated coffee filter paper but after trying nitrating curling paper compared to not treated, discovered curling paper does not absorb the solution. Now I use untreated curling paper. It leaves very little un-burned and have run 50 rounds with out a problem.
Wish I could afford flash paper but I shoot to many cartridges.