The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Ky_windage

conical bullets in a tubular magazine

I recently came into a .308 Marlin Express 336C. I have fired it only a few times but I am in love with it.

Also, I intend to do some reloading for this cartridge. And I have a burning question for you experts on this forum.

Everywhere I go to read about this cartridge, there is always someone quick to point out that you CANNOT use conical bullets with the tubular magazine.

Well, first off, I killed several deer as a kid shooting .35 REM 336C with Browning factory 150 grain soft points. My rifle never blew up on me. Has there ever been a documented case where this happened?

Also, if this is a real concern, then why not load conical bullets and hunt/shoot with only one in the chamber and one in the magazine? Two shots should be plenty. Of course there is the thorny issue of loading charts for conical bullets being non-existent.
Old October 26, 2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Sport45

Welcome to The Firing Line!

Does your Marlin Express have the screwy (pun intended) twisted magazine that's supposed to keep the bullets from lining up with the primers? I don't know a lot about lever guns, but I think some models have that feature.
Old October 26, 2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Farmland

Documentation? Well I can't say I ever looked for any, however there is more than enough documentation not to use a bullet with a point in a tubular type magazine when the point of the bullet touches the primer in front of it. I would think that would be common sense.

I don't think it is a smart move. However Hornady has developed the Lever evolution with a flex tip that is safe to use in a tubular magazine.+

You certainly can not believe it and use any bullet you want to though.

You also can use them in the way you suggested giving you a two shot gun.

However I think I will keep to the point of view it is not safe to stack them in a tubular magazine.
Old October 30, 2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Kawabuggy

Along those lines, someone told me once that if you want to shoot soft-point spitzer type bullets that all you have to do is file the sharp lead point enough to make it flat, and then you can load them in the tubular magazine. This makes sense to me because when you reload, it's simply a flat piece of steel that pushes the primer into the case. Now you have a flat lead point (softer than steel) pressing against the primer in front of it. If you filed all the lead tips down-why could you not fill the magazine with bullets so modified......???????
Old October 30, 2009, 04:43 PM   #5
jepp2

Can't find it right now, but recently I saw a pointed bullet designed for use in tubular magazines. It had a soft polymer tip, like the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. The one I saw was 30 cal (.308).
Old October 30, 2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Sport45

Quote:
Can't find it right now, but recently I saw a pointed bullet designed for use in tubular magazines. It had a soft polymer tip, like the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. The one I saw was 30 cal (.308).
Probably the Hornady Leverevolution.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Yep, Hornady Leverevolution work fine in a tube mag. I shoot .45-70 that way. So far, praise has been high on them for the most part.
Old October 30, 2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Sport45

Ky_windage hasn't logged back in since he started this thread several days ago. Must have been a shot in the dark...

Total Posts: 1
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Find all posts by Ky_windage
Find all threads started by Ky_windage
General Information
Last Activity: October 27, 2009 06:32 AM