Then let's see evidence.
Old October 19, 2015, 06:58 PM   #127
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSr
That was changed a year or so ago.
To expand on my earlier request for evidence:

The version of 2901.5 I linked to and quoted in full in post 124 came from this site: LAW Writer® Ohio Laws and Rules. The URL is: http://codes.ohio.gov/. It appears to be the State site for on-line access to Ohio statutes and regulations. If searching for Ohio statutes on either FindLaw or Cornell University Law School Legal Information Institute you will be linked to that site.

According to LAW Writer® Ohio Laws and Rules, the statutes published are:
Quote:
Current with legislation signed by the Governor as of 7/16/2015
So if you continue to claim that the version of 2901.5 I quoted and linked to is not current, you'll need to come up with some pretty good evidence.

As I explained in post 124, Ohio law is not what you seem to think it is.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old October 19, 2015, 07:32 PM   #128
TimSr

You have the most recent version. I was talking about the old article you and Oldmarksman drummed up. They look like the arguments that were used for changing the law to its current form.

Quote:
As you explained it, the law does not say what you think it says.
Old October 19, 2015, 07:43 PM   #129
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
You have the most recent version. I was talking about the old article you and Oldmarksman drummed up. They look like the arguments that were used for changing the law to its current form....
Nonsense.

The statute, 2901.5, was last amended in 2008. The article that OldMarksman and I linked to was published on 31 July 2013.

Quote:
Quote:
As you explained it, the law does not say what you think it says.
Phooey! You have the language of the statute and my analysis of what it means and how it would apply. So prove me wrong.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Frank Ettin; October 19, 2015 at 08:06 PM. Reason: ad link
Old October 19, 2015, 09:31 PM   #130
SocialAnarchist

Frankly, even if the laws says you can, what kind of person shoots and kills somebody over property? Seriously what is so valuable that you own that someone needs to die over it?

I am not talking about someone threatening you or making menacing moves towards you. I am talking about Smedley the burglar attempting to steal your weed eater or your TV. You are going to shoot him, and potentially kill him, over that? Even if the law says you can my bet would be the lawyer fees will be more than the value of whatever was being stolen. Better to up your insurance on your personal property than waste your retirement account defending yourself over killing someone stealing from you.
Old October 20, 2015, 05:31 PM   #131
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I am not talking about someone threatening you or making menacing moves towards you. I am talking about Smedley the burglar attempting to steal your weed eater or your TV. You are going to shoot him, and potentially kill him, over that? Even if the law says you can my bet would be the lawyer fees will be more than the value of whatever was being stolen. Better to up your insurance on your personal property than waste your retirement account defending yourself over killing someone stealing from you.
Maybe not. But, what if you confront the guy with a gun and he calls your bluff? "Sorry, but you can't shoot me over stuff!" As I said in another thread, criminals are getting bolder. So instead, as he tries to shuffle past you, you kick him in the crotch, and while he's writhing in pain, you hold the gun on him until the police come, whom hopefully, you've already called. You didn't kill him, he didn't get away. And no, I'm not "letting him go with my stuff if that's all he wants." I worked too damn hard for what I have, have been the victim of several thefts, and the victim of higher insurance premiums, simply because too many people in the area have the same attitude, "Meh, my insurance will cover it." When he tries to sue me for "assault and battery" or "barring his exit" even though he was attempting to make off with my property, I'll deal with the idiots in court. Personally, I'm sick to death of simply "letting criminals go." And anybody that doesn't like how Texas deals with intruders, hasn't spent any time in the burbs of Detroit.
Old October 20, 2015, 08:27 PM   #132
OldMarksman
Staff

Posted by Stevie-Ray:
Quote:
But, what if you confront the guy with a gun and he calls your bluff?
Bad situation for you to be in. Avoid it.

Quote:
When he tries to sue me for "assault and battery" or "barring his exit" even though he was attempting to make off with my property, I'll deal with the idiots in court.
At which point you will most certainly have very little influence, if any at all. How would one "deal with the idiots in court"?.

Quote:
Personally, I'm sick to death of simply "letting criminals go."
For those of us who have done that, some of us understand that that is a good outcome indeed.

Quote:
And anybody that doesn't like how Texas deals with intruders, hasn't spent any time in the burbs of Detroit.
What do you know about "how Texas deals with intruders"?
Old October 20, 2015, 09:19 PM   #133
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie-Ray
...When he tries to sue me for "assault and battery" or "barring his exit" even though he was attempting to make off with my property, I'll deal with the idiots in court. Personally, I'm sick to death of simply "letting criminals go."....
By all means, do whatever you want. And fortunately enough people have been posting in this thread who have demonstrated a much firmer grounding in reality and will not be following your example.

Clearly you're frustrated and don't like the way things are. But know what? The world doesn't care. If you use force beyond what can be legally justified, you will not be happy with the way things turn out.

You apparently don't care, but the point of these discussions is to help people understand what is likely to be legally justifiable and what is not likely to be legally justifiable. Such understanding can help people make better decisions.

So we really don't care that you don't care, and your insouciance doesn't contribute to the discussion.
Old October 21, 2015, 07:24 AM   #134
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie ray
But, what if you confront the guy with a gun and he calls your bluff?
Depending on whether you pull the trigger or not, you're about to get either an ass-whipping or an extremely expensive legal lesson on why you were stupid to bluff with a gun.

Last edited by 45_auto; October 21, 2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old October 21, 2015, 10:16 AM   #135
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
How would one "deal with the idiots in court"?.
With a jury of my peers, of course.
Quote:
2. If you come home and someone has broken into your house/attached garage in your absence, that particular law doesn't offer any protection if you decide to go in after them because the house wasn't occupied when the break-in occurred.
That would change when you come home, notice the lights are on in the garage, and figuring you left them on after finishing with the tractor, walk in and find yourself face-to-face with somebody making off with your valuables. I suppose most of you here would say, "Oh my God, the lights are on! I need to call the police so they can clear my garage!" Or better yet, "Here, let me get the door for you!"

Quote:
What do you know about "how Texas deals with intruders"?
Seriously? Texas has taken it to the criminals and the authorities are agreeing. This isn't the law everywhere, but should be. We would find a lot less criminal activity. Just a bit: http://godfatherpolitics.com/9613/cr...ing-intruders/

Quote:
So we really don't care that you don't care, and your insouciance doesn't contribute to the discussion.
Where does it say I don't care? I don't care that YOU don't care, to be sure, but your passivity, that you cherish so much, IS contributing to higher criminal activity and higher insurance rates.

Quote:
Depending on whether you pull the trigger or not, you're about to get either an ass-whipping or an extremely expensive legal lesson on why you were stupid to bluff with a gun.
This is so idiotic, it doesn't even deserve a response, but since you're among the holier-than-thous, I'll bite. So there is only two outcomes possible. I end the guy and spend my life savings on my defense, or he kicks my ass, because virtually everybody can kick my ass. Brilliant. Nobody has ever foiled a crime without taking a life or getting their ass kicked. I learn something new everyday.
Old October 21, 2015, 11:07 AM   #136
OldMarksman
Staff

Posted by Stevie-Ray:
Quote:
With a jury of my peers, of course.
Just for accuracy, you will not have a "jury of your peers". That was an old English concept, and it does not apply here. You are entitled to a fair and impartial jury.

Quote:
That [the house wasn't occupied when the break-in occurred] would change when you come home,... walk in and find yourself face-to-face with somebody ....
Do you have a legal basis for that opinion?

Note: "occupied" means different things in different states.

Quote:
I suppose most of you here would say, "Oh my God, the lights are on! I need to call the police so they can clear my garage!" Or better yet, "Here, let me get the door for you!"
Yes, most of us would call the police. Most of us realize that it would be extremely foolish to enter a building if one suspected that there could be a violent criminal inside.

Quote:
Seriously? Texas has taken it to the criminals and the authorities are agreeing. This isn't the law everywhere, but should be. We would find a lot less criminal activity. Just a bit: http://godfatherpolitics.com/9613/cr...ing-intruders/
Simple anecdotes are meaningless in discussing any serious subject, but when one reads an editorial such as the one cited that starts with a mention of the Second Amendment, meanders from that into some examples involving use of force laws, mis-states the substance of the Castle doctrine in Texas, and would try to make one believe that a police comment about whether one will be charged has any legal meaning, one should know to put it down and ignore it without wasting time on it.
Old October 21, 2015, 11:13 AM   #137
SocialAnarchist

I'll add to what I said above. Nothing I own is worth ending up dead or in prison for a good portion of the rest of my life.

It has nothing to do with being passive or a coward. It has to do with risk versus reward. Nothing in my life, other than my life or the lives of those I love, or under the right circumstances perhaps other victims of a violent crime, is worth my risking my life over. I am certainly not going to get involved in a confrontation, that I may die in, over my possessions.
Old October 23, 2015, 01:05 PM   #138
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Just for accuracy, you will not have a "jury of your peers". That was an old English concept, and it does not apply here. You are entitled to a fair and impartial jury.
It does apply here-it's called semantics. Have you ever been part of a jury selection?

Quote:
Do you have a legal basis for that opinion?

Note: "occupied" means different things in different states.
Yes, in my state, it's called Stand Your Ground. You have a right to be in your garage, the criminal you happened upon (again, reflecting my hypothetical above), does not. You need only to read the latest edition of NRA's The Armed Citizen for a prime example in Florida, where a man came home to find 2 criminals inside. He killed 1 and injured one. In my case above, I didn't even mention taking a life.

Quote:
Yes, most of us would call the police. Most of us realize that it would be extremely foolish to enter a building if one suspected that there could be a violent criminal inside.
Read it again. Where did I say I suspected there could be a violent criminal inside? In fact I said quite the opposite. Do you clear your house when you come home, check for damage, see that everything is the same as when you left? I do, as long as I'm going to be gone for even a few hours. If I suspected someone was in there, I would simply call the police. Simple as that. Don't try to make it something it's not. Yet, just because you don't suspect it, doesn't mean they are not there, or haven't been there. And don't make me bring up those instances-everyone should know about them, by now. But, I'm certainly not calling the police each and every time I come home.
Old October 23, 2015, 01:30 PM   #139
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Quote:
It does apply here-it's called semantics. Have you ever been part of a jury selection?
Ignorant twaddle.

There is nothing in our laws that entitles anyone to a jury of his peers. One is entitled to an impartial jury (Constitution, Sixth Amendment); but you have no grounds upon which to insist that members of your jury be "your peers", i. e., from the of the same societal group, age, status, background or education, etc., as you.

(The notion of a "jury of one's peers" comes from Magna Carta and was indeed intended to refer to being judged by one's equals. Magna Carta was forced on King John by the feudal barons to protect their interests. Their first concern was that they be judged only by nobles of similar rank. And indeed until relatively recently, a British noble charged with a crime was entitled to be tried in the House of Lords. The last trial in the House of Lords was in 1935, and the trial jurisdiction of the House of Lords was abolished in 1948.)

This is how jury selection works:
  1. Each side gets a set number of peremptory challenges and can thereby excuse a limited number of prospective jurors without stating a cause.

1. A lawyer owes an absolute duty of loyalty to his client. He is required to exercise his professional judgment in the best interests of his client.

2. So he will use his peremptory challenges to exclude those people from the jury who he, in the exercise of his professional judgment, believes will be least receptive to his client, his client's position, the witnesses his client might be offering and/or his client's legal arguments.

3. At the same time he will need to use his peremptory challenges to exclude those people from the jury who he, in the exercise of his professional judgment, believes will be most receptive to his client's opponent's position, etc.

2. But he has only a limited number of peremptory challenges. And the other side will be doing exactly the same thing.

3. So the result is that if each side has, say, ten peremptory challenges, the lawyer on each side will excuse without cause the ten possible jurors he has decided will be least desirable from his particular perspective. If there are 50 jurors in the jury pool, the jury will then consist of persons from the remaining group of 30, unless one side or the other can convince the judge of actual bias.

4. The result of the process is probably going to be the most impartial jury available out of that jury pool of 50 people.

Quote:
...in my state, it's called Stand Your Ground.....
Except that you have no clue as to how Stand Your Ground or Castle Doctrine laws are applied. To begin your much needed education, study this thread carefully.
Old October 23, 2015, 01:53 PM   #140
2ndsojourn

From Stevie-Ray:
"It does apply here-it's called semantics. Have you ever been part of a jury selection?"

Dude, you're arguing the law with lawyers.
Old October 23, 2015, 03:05 PM   #141
pax

... and it is so, so very tempting to close this overly-long thread on that delicious note.

Because the point has been made -- over and over again -- by the folks who do know what they're talking about.

pax
Closed Thread