The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 6, 2021, 12:45 PM   #1
Hdonly

Remington Ammo

Saw this posted on Facebook. Anyone hear about this?

Bob Hess
June 1 at 2:07 PM ·
For all of you out buying ammo? The two pictures are a recent ammo purchase at a Walmart. After purchasing the ammo it was noticed that the neck was cracked on one of the shell casings. So every round was inspected and 13 out of 60 of the shells had cracked necks.
This isn't Walmart's fault. This is the fault of the new manufacturer of Remington ammo since post bankruptcy purchase.
Vista outdoors purchased Remington ammunition post bankruptcy and seems to have no quality control. Please check your ammo before purchasing. A cracked shell casing will cause the firearm to exploded and cause severe injury, even death.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot from 2021-06-06 12-39-03.jpg (126.5 KB, 422 views)
Old June 6, 2021, 01:30 PM   #2
FITASC

Have you contacted Vista in Arkansas? What did they say?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 6, 2021, 01:51 PM   #3
Hdonly

I didn't buy the ammo. I just saw this guy Bob Hess's post on FB. Was curious if anyone has heard of this problem.
Old June 6, 2021, 05:44 PM   #4
Smoke & Recoil

I recently bought a 50 count box of Remington factory 25-20 WCF on a local auction, dated from the late 1970's and found that 20 pieces were split just like that.
Old June 6, 2021, 05:57 PM   #5
ghbucky

I'll just say that I am skeptical of 'Bob Hess'" facebook claims.

None of the cases in the photo on the left look like they have a split neck and the photo on the right is not a new case. It looks to me like it has been out in the sun for a while.
Old June 7, 2021, 08:27 AM   #6
Smoke & Recoil

In reference to my last post, number (4), I found the first split case mouth while inserting the second cartridge into the loading gate of my model 92 Winchester...the bullet pushed into the case, so I inspected the remaining cartridges and found (19) more spit cases.
Old July 4, 2021, 02:59 PM   #7
Mannlicher

wow! Saw it on FB? Heck, it's gotta be true. Right?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 5, 2021, 07:52 AM   #8
Hdonly

You don't have to be a smart a$$. I just posted it and asked if anyone else knew about a problem.
Old July 7, 2021, 10:08 AM   #9
Seedy Character

Seeing as Vista Group also owns Federal and CCI, I would guess; all production is running max speed. There appears to be a problem with the annealing process.

A note to Remington, with Lot# and pics, would most likely solve the situation.

I had some Federal ammo issues. An email and all was taken care of.

Wonder if the OP was trying to make an issue known or stir up crap?
Old July 17, 2021, 07:46 AM   #10
Hdonly

What is it with some of you? All I did was ask a simple question. "Saw this posted on Facebook. Anyone hear about this?" A very simple question.
Old July 17, 2021, 08:15 AM   #11
stagpanther

I've seen aberrations in core-lokts (they have a cult following in hunters) even before the bankruptcy thing--but I agree that picture looks suspicious, almost like it has been hand-loaded and crimped. What I have also seen is that some gun shops will resale ammo that they get off of estates etc--there is no certified provenance as to what the stuff actually is. I've bought some unknowingly that was passed off as new manufacture and it was easy to see some of the cartridges inside were different, and in some cases defective. Nobody takes back ammo once it's left their shop.