The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 15, 2018, 07:42 PM   #1
2wheelwander

.22 pump recommendations

Having just purchased a model 39A, it got me to wondering about a nice, older .22 pump to sit next to it.

I am not a classic firearms expert, but really enjoy finding and buying nice, older guns that have a following. Pinned and recessed Smiths, 3 screw Rugers, the model 39, etc.

So, I'm asking the collective expertise here, what would be a great equivalent pump .22 to mate the model 39A?

Budget of $1200, and I'd plan on shooting/enjoying it. I'd want accuracy as a premium, probably would never scope it and leave it as a classic. Wouldn't have to be mint, but very clean for that price.

Thanks!
Old November 15, 2018, 09:50 PM   #2
dwwhite

Winchester 61. Full Stop.

I won't even stoop to labeling this as my humble opinion. in fact, I would argue that the question isn't even up for debate.

The 61 is the peak of rim fire pump action rifle development. It's a beautiful design, properly executed in a man sized rifle. With your budget, you out to be able to find a primo example without any problems.

That said, if it's ultimate accuracy you're after, look elsewhere. Ours (meaning it's a family heirloom) will hold minute of coke can, or armadillo, further than I can see with the iron sights, but, in terms of mechanical accuracy, my beat up, bubba'd Mossberg M44 will shoot rings around the Winchester.

That said, picking up a 61 is like picking up a fine shotgun, and by comparison, it makes most all other comers look like clunky afterthoughts.

I MIGHT be just a bit biased, though...
I learned to shoot with the 61 that my dad learned to shoot with, and that my son will shoot when he's big enough to hold.
Old November 16, 2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Certainly, IMO, there are no flies on the 61, but I do have a fondness for the 62.
Old November 16, 2018, 08:46 AM   #4
eastbank

I found a very nice win 61 made in 1941 at a flea market, but it had been tapped for a old weaver side mount. I ask how much? and the reply was 325.00 and after looking it over very good and found a ex bore and 80-85 precent blueing with no rust-no cracks in the wood(70-75 % original finish), I bought it. after getting it home I found a older side weaver mount in one of my junk boxes and dug out a older redfield 3/4" 4x regular rifle scope. end of story from a good rest with CCI green tag target ammo it put five shots into a little over a inch. I know its not a collector, but will be a super hunting rifle and I did put a sling on it.
Old November 16, 2018, 10:14 PM   #5
math teacher

I have two model 61s, one of which i have had since the fifties. They are surprisingly accurate.
Old November 17, 2018, 03:03 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Winchester 62/62A. (Or 1906 or 1890.)

Or the knock off, Rossi 62A/SA/SAC from the '80s. Anything later, or branded by Taurus, is garbage. But the early Rossis were very good.
Old November 17, 2018, 11:17 AM   #7
RC20

I had an 80s Rossi.

While it functioned just fine, the accuracy was no where near what we got out of my Mom's Model 62.

On what had to be more flukish than anything but could not do it without the accuracy, I cut a card in half edge wise at 25 feet or there about (I was 7 or so at the time)
Old November 17, 2018, 01:06 PM   #8
2wheelwander

Thanks for the recommendations gents, headed to GB to do a little research!
Old November 18, 2018, 09:48 PM   #9
1MoreFord

There is also the Browning pump .22 called the Browning Trombone that is quite rare here in the US that would be a very special acquisition to any collection.

Then there are the Very similar Remington models 12 and 121.

A vintage Remington 572 would be nice to have too.
Old November 20, 2018, 09:51 PM   #10
PatientWolf

My father used to have a Remington Fieldmaster 572 Featherweight that I loved.

I have not run across any in the LGSs around here.
Old November 20, 2018, 11:04 PM   #11
JWT

I have a Model 61 and a Model 62 Winchester. The 62 with it's exposed hammer has always been my favorite by far. Not hard to find some decent ones on Gun Broker etc. for a reasonable price. Would definitely be my choice for what the OP wants.