The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 6, 2018, 01:21 PM   #1
BoogieMan

New short action bolt rifle for hunting. Suggestions?

So here it is. I want to buy myself a new bolt action blued and walnut rifle with removable magazine. The classic hunting rifle if you will. Undecided between 6.5creed and .243win. Both will do the job just fine and this wont see enough rounds to be a cost issue. I want a nice rifle and keep the budget under $1500ish not including optics.
Thinking- Tikka, Weatherby, Remington, CZ.
Should I be looking at other brands? Im not against used rifles in top shape. Seems a little difficult to find them with factory removable mags.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 6, 2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Tallest

I would disagree slightly on the “classic hunting rifle” having a removable magazine.

However, lest we digress, I think the CZ would get my first vote, followed by the Tikka.

CZ has a stellar reputation, and the few I have had or handled didn’t disappoint.

I live the short action, and if you care to add one more option to the docket, the 7mm-08 has a lot to offer!
Old November 6, 2018, 02:16 PM   #3
MarkCO

I'd just delete Remington and add Bergara.

Low round count, more hunting than range, I would go with the 6.5CM. If more range than hunting and don't care about game larger than Deer, I would go with the .243Win.
Own both and all of the brands you are considering. $1500ish, Weatherby or Bergara would be my choice.
Old November 6, 2018, 05:47 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I absolutely love my Tikka T3x. The Forest version is exactly as you describe and a B-E-A-utiful gun.

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-forest
Old November 6, 2018, 06:16 PM   #5
Picher

T3 Tikkas are really great rifles. I have one in .243 and it's a honey! Three of us have gotten deer with it and it's a lot of fun to carry/shoot.
Old November 6, 2018, 06:40 PM   #6
NHSHOOTER

I too have a Tikka but its in 223 but I would surely recommend 1 in the caliber you prefer..I would also like to add Browning XBolt to the mix, I have 1 in 7-08 that shoots 1/2" groups with a few different loads I have loaded for it, even my 12 yr old granddaughter shoots 3/4" groups with it at 100 yds..It too has a removable rotary magazine, smooth bolt and adjustable trigger.
Old November 6, 2018, 07:04 PM   #7
Bottom Gun

Tikka would be my choice.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old November 6, 2018, 07:14 PM   #8
sako2

Euro optics has some good prices on tikkas. Their website says they have a t3 243 for $498. And tx3's for under $800.
Old November 6, 2018, 07:19 PM   #9
Mobuck

Might as well add the HOWA, it's as "classic" as the other suggestions.
Old November 6, 2018, 07:24 PM   #10
BoogieMan

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably go Tikka. Like the weatherby mark. But, that gets a little pricey. I'll check out the Howa as well. I didn't mention because I have never seen one with walnut. @Tallest- your probably right about the removable mag not being a feature of a classic. I am looking toward the smooth mount small mags. Not a tactical 10rnd hanging out of the bottom. So it isnt a purest classic. Still retains the look.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 6, 2018, 07:33 PM   #11
burrhead

Browning X-Bolt. I've had walnut stocked "Hunter" in 308 for about 6 years and it's superb. Accurate and light, it seems to point it's self. Been the scourge of several deer and a bunch of hogs.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old November 6, 2018, 07:42 PM   #12
BoogieMan

What's thoughts on current production Win Model 70 Super Grade? I have never owned a Win.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 6, 2018, 07:59 PM   #13
LineStretcher

Nothing wrong with the model 70 super grade but I think you get just as much rifle if not more with a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in the Deluxe model. I would jump up to either the .308 or 7mm-08. .308 is one of my favorites and 7mm-08 is becoming very popular. I have 3 Vanguards and 3 Mark V's and I love my Bee's.

If you were to step up to a Mark V Deluxe, I highly recommend the .257 Wby Mag. It's a relatively soft shooter that can kick some serious butt. The .240 Wby Mag is also a nice smaller game cartridge. It will take most medium sized deer without a problem.

The Tika is not a bad rifle either but having done a side by side at the range comparision, of the Wby Vanguard S2 and the Tika T3 in .308, the Wby shot better groups and did it time after time with what ever ammo I threw at it. The Tika did well with Barnes TSX but choked on Nosler Accubonds and Partitions.
Old November 6, 2018, 10:45 PM   #14
Saltydog235

Sako, may be a little over your budget. Sauer 101 is another I’d look at. I do like my Tikka but not nearly as much as my Sakos.
Old November 7, 2018, 07:48 AM   #15
BoogieMan

@saltydog235- Arent they the same company? I didnt know there was a current production Sako until you just posted. Look good.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown

Last edited by BoogieMan; November 7, 2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old November 7, 2018, 11:12 AM   #16
IdaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
I live the short action, and if you care to add one more option to the docket, the 7mm-08 has a lot to offer!
Seconded. This is my favorite mid-range caliber and it's really hard to beat for midsize game like deer.
Old November 7, 2018, 11:45 AM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

3rd-ed.
Best North American big game cartridge in existence.
Old November 7, 2018, 12:01 PM   #18
MrBorland

I love the 7mm-08 too, but the rifle I actually love most for hunting is my Tikka CTR, and it happens to be chambered in .260 Remington.

I have a nice 7mm-08, but there's so little difference between the 2 rounds (at least for whitetails and the distance I'd be shooting them), I opt for the rifle I like better.
Old November 7, 2018, 12:15 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBorland
but there's so little difference between the 2 rounds
Yes, and about 14 others too... but what fun is a thread where we don't tell the OP to buy something besides what he explicitly says he wants.
Old November 7, 2018, 12:30 PM   #20
Worc

When you say "Short Action", are you talking about just the cartridge length or the actual length of the action. There is a difference as some manufacturers use the same action for .308 and .30-06 length cartridges.

If you want the shorter action, it will eliminate some choices. The Browning X bolt would be a good choice with a shorter action length. Used would be something like a Sako 75 or 85 and Browning A bolt.
Old November 7, 2018, 12:35 PM   #21
taylorce1

If blued walnut is what you want for around $1500 budget, I'd look at the Kimber 84M in the Classic Select or Super America. You'll have a hard time finding a rifle with nicer wood in that price range. Of course it won't have a detachable magazine, but that shouldn't be a deal killer IMO.

My reasoning for it not being a deal killer is you can usually add detachable bottom metal to almost any rifle. It's relatively cheap in the scheme of things. Nice wood is very expensive to get on a rifle, so I'd pay for the wood and worry about the magazine later.
Old November 7, 2018, 01:23 PM   #22
Tallest

I don't think the mag issue is a huge deal no-matter what you choose. One of those hang-ups that pops into the head and must be uttered.

I have nothing bad to say about the Tikka choice. From most everything I've read, very few regret getting one.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old November 7, 2018, 01:27 PM   #23
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worc View Post
When you say "Short Action", are you talking about just the cartridge length or the actual length of the action. There is a difference as some manufacturers use the same action for .308 and .30-06 length cartridges.

If you want the shorter action, it will eliminate some choices. The Browning X bolt would be a good choice with a shorter action length. Used would be something like a Sako 75 or 85 and Browning A bolt.
I think given his choices mentioned of 6.5 CM and .243 Win, he's after short-action chamberings.

And wouldn't it be tough to have anything but short-action chamberings in a short-action rifle? Or am I missing something?

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old November 7, 2018, 01:59 PM   #24
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest
And wouldn't it be tough to have anything but short-action chamberings in a short-action rifle? Or am I missing something?
Worc is referring to the physical length of the rifle's action itself. Not all rifles chambered in short action cartridges use true short action actions. Many (maybe most factory rifles?) use standard length actions. AFAIK, Tikka is one that uses a standard length action. Doesn't seem to hurt their performance, though.
Old November 7, 2018, 04:19 PM   #25
m&p45acp10+1

A CZ American will not disappoint you.