The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 22, 2018, 09:34 PM   #1
sakorick

Uberti 1847 Walker Colt 44 help

I was watching the Outlaw Josie Wales on TV the other night and the Colt Walker he carried just looked so cool! So I purchased one. I have been shooting black powder rifles for many years but this is my first pistol and I'm looking for advice. Not for hunting...just for some fun plinking.
1. What are some handy tools to consider?
2. Pyrodex, 777 or black powder?
3. I'll be shooting round lead so what diameter and brands are best?
4. What primer does this thing take...10 or 11?
5. Do I need lubed patches? If so, what kind? I have a big tube of butter lube.
6. Cleaning supplies?
7. Who fills the cylinder space with Cream of Wheat? How close to the end of the cyl for accuracy?
8. I live in the middle of nowhere so will have to get my stuff on line....recommendations?
9. Any other tips appreciated. Regards, Rick.
Old July 22, 2018, 10:15 PM   #2
Bimus

#1 nipple wrench
#2 Pyrodex or black powder FFFG
#3 454 Speer or Hornady
#4 My gun likes Remington #10
# 5 no after loading the ball on powder fill cylinder with Crisco
#6 hot water
#7 I never tried it
#9 About 35 grains works for me I never shot groups but it's my # 1 gun for Grouse .
Old July 22, 2018, 10:21 PM   #3
Model12Win

Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gun Works are great for supplies.
Old July 22, 2018, 11:28 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

#7. I've used cream of wheat/farina as filler. It's only purpose is to fill the gap between the powder and the ball. It also keeps the powder closer to the nipple for better discharge.
Old July 23, 2018, 12:13 AM   #5
Beagle333

I agree.... Track and Dixie are good places for supplies. Between those two, I can't think of anything you'd need to hunt down elsewhere.

I haven't used cream of wheat, but I have shot a lot of corn meal under some balls. I spread it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven to make sure it's really super dry, and just keep it in a container like you would your powder to keep moisture out. Once you find the load you like, then just add enough filler of your choice on top of the powder to put the ball out closer to the end of the cylinder. I like the ball to be flush with the end of the cylinder after it's packed tight, but it's a personal preference.

You can get it really clean with some hot soapy water. I find that some Qtips help with the cylinders and pipe cleaners help clean the nipples, but you'll find your way to do it.

Happy shooting! I do love my Walkers!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 23, 2018, 10:52 AM   #6
rodwhaincamo

You’ll need a set of gunsmith screwdrivers. A nipple pick might be nice. A loading stand sure makes things easier!

I don’t care at all for Pyrodex, especially in a revolver. The fouling has a sticky quality to it. I’d opt for the real deal and bypass the subs. 3F will produce less fouling but some have found 2F to be ideal. Can’t hurt to try both unless having the most accurate load isn’t a big deal.

You’ll want to work on the loading lever catch if you’ll be shooting heavier loads.

You may want to try both .454” and .457” balls. Home cast is best and I prefer the cheap Lee mold as there’s no appreciable sprue, but then it can be turned sideways so it’s shaved off upon loading.

Not patches but felt wads. It’s much cleaner to lube those than to spread any sort of lube on the ball as it gets blasted all over the gun and melts when it’s hot. It’s a nasty mess from what I’ve read. Punching your own from Durofelt is what I do. And I lube mine with home made Gatofeo’s #1 lube, which works well for just about anything and is a traditional late 1800’s outside lubircated bullet recipe.

Water (with a little dish soap) is all most use. Afterwards I towel dry and apply Ballistol oil which mixes with water readily allowing the water to evaporate leaving just the oil. It’s a German product made for the military in the early 1900’s IIRC and is good for wood and leather and many other things.

I buy my powder from Grafs as I buy less than 5 lbs at a time.
Old July 23, 2018, 11:17 AM   #7
sakorick

Thanks for all the help. I'm leaving for Virginia Thursday to visit a former helicopter pilot friend of mine so I should have the stuff I need by the time I get back.

Any one use SWIS-3FG ?

Last edited by sakorick; July 23, 2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old July 23, 2018, 12:06 PM   #8
Schlitz 45

I prefer Pyrodex in my cap & ball revolvers & like to use Wonder Wads rather that goop on the cylinders. Together they keep things much cleaner & I can shoot all I want without having fouling binding up the action & make for easy clean up.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/44-45-ca...of-100-rmc4400
Old July 23, 2018, 12:17 PM   #9
rclark

I've used 777 in mine. Use cream of wheat as the filler/wad. No Crisco. But what a handful -- heavy on the wrist while aiming. Because of its weight, the recoil is, well, ... what recoil?.... Definitely just a range gun. Respect the guys that had to actually use 'em!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 23, 2018, 01:04 PM   #10
rodwhaincamo

I don’t own a Walker yet, but intend to one day as I appreciate the history of it. I do not use Swiss powder but will try it one day. Instead I use Olde Eynsford by Goex. It was produced to compete with Swiss. It gives very similar performance at a fraction of the cost and is American made.
Old July 23, 2018, 03:22 PM   #11
sakorick

Traditions press

I called Traditions and their 44 cal cylinder reloading press does not work on Uberti cylinders. Has anyone here made one? It seem to me that a simple press would be easy to make.

Added. I finished reading the owners manual and it says to use percussion caps of the right size. So OK Aholes, what's the right size? What a piece of junk owner's manual.

Last edited by sakorick; July 23, 2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old July 23, 2018, 07:28 PM   #12
Hellgate

For my pair of Uberti Walkers I used 44 grs of FFg Goex under a lube wad with the .454 dia balls and #10 Remington caps. It was soft shooting and plenty impressive. If you shoot heavy loads you will crush your wedge and open up the cylinder gap. I did that on both mine using 50grs FFFg Goex & the above other components. If your rammer keeps falling when fired, ask this board how to modify the latch spring. I will then post my method.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 23, 2018, 08:25 PM   #13
rodwhaincamo

My understanding with the damage done by heavier charges is because Uberti didn’t produce them correctly. I’m not sure if this is the typical short arbor issue or what but I do know that when fixed constant full charges of energetic powders can be used without issue. I know the fellow called 45 Dragoon does this and not one customer has been unhappy with his work. It’s what I’ll do if/when I purchase one for myself as there’s not much reason to own a pistol you can’t shoot with the traditional loads. It held that much powder by design and for an important reason. And I get heads turning with 38 grns of 3F Olde E from my ROA (my more accurate load). I can only imagine how fast they’d turn with 60! And the size of the smoke cloud!
Old July 23, 2018, 10:02 PM   #14
CLYA

Depending on brands, there can be slight differences between percussion caps. Some may use #10s, while others #11's, and then there are cap makers who make in between sizes. Best to look at a bunch of videos, and different advise from the internet, as well as written articles. You'll soon see, that one size of caps, never fits everybody's taste, even on the same gun.
Old July 23, 2018, 11:27 PM   #15
Model12Win

The cap n' balls take time to learn how to shoot and clean. It is frankly not a plug and play, easy process. You have to know what you are doing and you have to try certain things in order to get them to run well and be accurate. It takes time and money and they aren't remotely as user-friendly as modern guns and are a bit of a commitment if you ever hope to be proficient with them.
Old July 24, 2018, 06:39 AM   #16
sakorick

Which nipple wrench do I need for my Colt Walker? Is it a good idea to replace the nipples with SS ones?
Old July 24, 2018, 07:14 AM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd take the Walker to the shop and fit it for the wrench.

As for replacing the nipples, no. If the originals were getting stripped, then I'd consider replacing them.
Old July 24, 2018, 09:03 AM   #18
Hellgate

I never bothered to replace the nipples as long as they all take the same size cap and go off with regularity. The heavy hammer fall minimizes blowback. I did fill in the safety notch on the hammer face with JB Weld to prevent caps from wedging into the hammer face causing jams but that was about it. I believe that 45Dragoon has stated that the Ubertis have a short arbor and by correcting that you will no longer have crushed wedges with heavy loads nor need to use the wedge tension to set the cylinder gap.
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 24, 2018, 09:23 AM   #19
maillemaker

Quote:
1. What are some handy tools to consider?
Get a Walker nipple wrench.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...60/1/NW-WALKER

Quote:
2. Pyrodex, 777 or black powder?
Shoot what you can get, but black powder fouling is less corrosive and real BP ignites more reliably than substitutes.

Quote:
3. I'll be shooting round lead so what diameter and brands are best?
Whatever shaves a ring of lead on ramming into the chamber. My Walker requires .457.

Quote:
4. What primer does this thing take...10 or 11?
I use #10s.

Quote:
5. Do I need lubed patches? If so, what kind? I have a big tube of butter lube.
You do not patch balls in black powder revolvers. They must be put into the chamber "naked" and shave lead as they are pressed home. Some people use lubed wads.

Quote:
6. Cleaning supplies?
Soapy water. Follow up with oil of choice. I use Ballistol.

http://4thla.weebly.com/how-to-clean...r-firearm.html

Quote:
7. Who fills the cylinder space with Cream of Wheat? How close to the end of the cyl for accuracy?
Filler will probably give you better accuracy with reduced loads than without.

http://4thla.weebly.com/why-use-filler.html

Quote:
8. I live in the middle of nowhere so will have to get my stuff on line....recommendations?
S&S Firearms, Cabela's, MidwayUSA, Track of the Wolf, there are many. I buy powder from Powder Inc.

Steve
Old July 24, 2018, 09:46 AM   #20
Hellgate

I would be reluctant to shoot full power conical loads using 777. I heard of one Walker sending the barrel assembly down range and the shooter then wondering how he could convert what was left into a pepperbox. It came apart at the wedge cutout in the arbor.

Also, #10 caps vary considerably from one maker to the next. The RWS 1055 is so small I've never had one fit anything I've owned. The CCI #10 is a little larger than the RWS but still way smaller and less forgiving than the Remington #10. The Rem #10 is closer in size to the RWS #1075 and CCI #11. About 1/3 of my guns will take the CCI#11, another third will take the RWS 1075 but ALL of them will take the Remington #10 or else I will replace the nipples with ones that do.
Old July 24, 2018, 02:42 PM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

Concur with Hellgate. Stick with black powder. Keep the loads moderate too. You'll get better accuracy that way.

About the only revolver I don't mind overloading (if you can call it that) is the Ruger Old Army. Ruger typically over engineers its firearms.
Old July 24, 2018, 04:25 PM   #22
Model12Win

Walkers are not a magnum.

Don't make 'em one.

60 grains o' black and a roundy. Smear some tallow on ball.

Done.
Old July 24, 2018, 04:38 PM   #23
rodwhaincamo

Well, actually, my understanding is the Walker was designed to use the Pickett style bullet. I’ve not read of a ball typically being used in one by the military. Even the loading window is cut to the pointy conical shape.

I wouldn’t call it a magnum either as there was no such thing. However these were designed to be more powerful than what was available in a similar package.
Old July 24, 2018, 05:02 PM   #24
sakorick

Sounds like Remington #10's.
Old July 24, 2018, 06:15 PM   #25
Model12Win

Rem 10s work great on Ubertis.