The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 2, 2020, 11:18 PM   #26
KyJim

I haven't seen the new Python yet because I have put my new gun purchases on a hold for awhile --- no reason to torture myself. However, I do think my new model King Cobra is an excellent revolver with a great trigger out of the box. No, it's not a close copy of the old model King Cobra, but look at the gun for what it is---a fairly light weight .357 magnum that is made for carry.

And keep in mind that the new model Python is just that --- a gun with a new design. Practically every new design of a pistol has teething problems. Sometimes a change in equipment causes problems in an old design. For example, when Colt first started making 1911s on CNC machinery, there were problems until they worked out the bugs in production.

So, give Colt a year or so and I bet they have the bugs worked out in their production runs. I don't blame people for not wanting to beta test a new product, but don't write off the design just because of some sporadic QC issues.
Old March 3, 2020, 12:43 AM   #27
jackmoser65

Quote:
My apologies for the inaccuracies, but I stand by my original assessment.
It couldn't be a new model King Cobra if the barrel was 6 inches.

It couldn't be any new Colt double action if it was nickel plated.

It couldn't be a new Python if the price was only $1100.

None of it adds up. Either you can't tell a 4 inch from a 6 inch. Stainless from nickel. Or a new gun from an old one.

That was my point. Since you can't really tell us with any degree of certainty what exactly it was you were looking at, your assessment isn't really of any value. No offense but a critic has to have credibility if his criticisms are to carry any weight.
Old March 3, 2020, 07:42 AM   #28
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
I agree with you bn12gg, the new Cobra is a fine gun with one of the best triggers out there.

The fit and finish on my Cobra is excellent with none of the issues that the OP mentions.
Agreed
I keep seeing threads pop up where people are making claims... "poor fit/finish", "trigger grinding", "heavy pull", etc
Yet am finding no actual example of such.

I'm thinking some are trying to "hate", but why I do not know
Old March 3, 2020, 07:43 AM   #29
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmoser65 View Post
It couldn't be a new model King Cobra if the barrel was 6 inches.

It couldn't be any new Colt double action if it was nickel plated.

It couldn't be a new Python if the price was only $1100.

None of it adds up. Either you can't tell a 4 inch from a 6 inch. Stainless from nickel. Or a new gun from an old one.

That was my point. Since you can't really tell us with any degree of certainty what exactly it was you were looking at, your assessment isn't really of any value. No offense but a critic has to have credibility if his criticisms are to carry any weight.
Well said
Old March 12, 2020, 01:22 PM   #30
HiDive

I am looking forward to getting a new Python in the 4.25" version. I will wait a bit since they are hard to get now anyway. My LGS has an eye out for them and will get me one when they are available. All of the problems with them have been explained and there are simple remedies for most of them. Some need to go back to Colt. Many other Guns from other manufacturers have gone through problems when they were first introduced. I am sure that this will be a fine revolver and well worth owning.
Old March 12, 2020, 03:03 PM   #31
Kreyzhorse

I land my new King Cobra 3" tomorrow. I don't expect any issues with it, but I'll report about it when it lands.

Already have the new VZ grip panels for it. Please, gun makers, stop putting cheap ass rubber grips on guns and tell me how great they are at reducing recoil....... sigh.

Also just landed a nice 4" enhanced King Cobra in box. Might have it this weekend.

Thinking the 3" is the shooter and the 4" will also be a (limited) shooter.
Old March 13, 2020, 04:13 PM   #32
Kreyzhorse

Picked up the Colt King Cobra today. Fit and finish is excellent and overall, the extra attention paid to the brushed stainless is much better looking than the bead blasted finish on the regular Cobras.

Not sure I'll get a chance to shoot it this weekend, but I'm impressed. Like the new Cobras, it has a fantastic trigger. Little stacking towards the end in DA pull a smooth pull throughout.
Old March 13, 2020, 04:31 PM   #33
Gas Bag

I have to wonder if Colt is going to make it. I have one and Colt was a premiere brand when I bought it, 40 years ago. I have heard a lot of conflicting stories about them.
Old March 13, 2020, 04:39 PM   #34
dgludwig

Quote:
Like the new Cobras, it has a fantastic trigger.
It's mostly the superb da trigger pull on the new King Cobra that caused me to part with $879.99 (plus tax) for it. My wife and I were looking for a revolver for her to be used in self-defense and she squeezed a lot of triggers on more than a few revolvers before opting for the Colt. In terms of a light and smooth da trigger pull on a revolver, for her purposes, the new Kimber came in a close second.
Old March 13, 2020, 05:59 PM   #35
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I have to wonder if Colt is going to make it. I have one and Colt was a premiere brand when I bought it, 40 years ago. I have heard a lot of conflicting stories about them.
I think the new revolvers are great guns and certainly some of the best on the market right now and every bit as good as the old Colts, maybe even better. That said, none of them compare to the old Pythons but these aren't hand fitted guns either.

I think most of the conflicting stories these days are from people that compare the New Colts to the old ones and they simply aren't the same guns. They are great guns, just different than the ones of yore.
Old March 14, 2020, 10:00 PM   #36
Kreyzhorse

To add to my last post... I also picked up a 1993 Colt King Cobra Enhanced today. Box, paper work, all of it. Great example.

That said, wow, what a great trigger. It's a Colt King Cobra Enhanced, and man, the trigger in both SA and DA is excellent. It compares very well against my 686 from the same year.

That said, it also compares very well against my new King Cobra. In SA, but triggers are identical. In DA, the new King is smoother, but the old King has a shorter stroke and is a bit lighter. I'd say 9.5 on the new King vs 10 on the old King.

The only other difference is the the old King is a thicker framed gun in line with a 686 or a Ruger GP. The new King is essentially a Ruger SP101 frame.

To be sure, it's a smaller gun, and certainly not the same as the original King, but it's still one of the better guns in the market. I have no issue with it being called a King Cobra.

The old and new and both great guns, just different and both reflect the reality of the economy and production costs at the time they were made.