The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 18, 2015, 12:11 PM   #1
mattL46

28" or 30" O/U

Looking to buy my first O/U and am having a hard time deciding the bbl length. What do you prefer/suggest and why? I'm currently looking at an affordable specimen in 30" Thanks gentlemen.
Old February 18, 2015, 12:20 PM   #2
BigJimP

In an All Around Shotgun ( for Skeet, Sporting Clays, 5 Stand and Upland Birds )...I have buddies that favor a 28" / and I favor a 30" ....

30" is usually a little heavier ...and I like a gun at 8.0 to 8.5 lbs.../ if they're too light, they tend to get "whippy" and I have trouble making a smooth swing - with a whippy guns, I tend to "slap" at birds vs execute a smooth swing...

30" barrels mean your sight plane is a little longer...so that helps smooth out the swing too...

An O/U with 30" barrels is about the same overall length as a pump or semi-auto with 28" barrel.
-----------
But I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs...so that 8.5 lb gun with 30" barrels feels just right to me. Some of my buddies -- 5'10 or 6' ...and 185 lbs ...tend to like the 28" barrels on O/U's better...but even some of them like the 30".
------------
In a dedicated Trap gun...heavier and longer is a plus because there is not as much left to right barrel movement...so heavier and longer helps smooth out the swing better on a Trap field...( 10 lb gun / like a Browning XT Trap / with 32" barrels is what I like ) ....but that 10 lb gun in 32" is too clumsy for general shooting....in my view....
-------------------
so its a combination of weight, length...and balance...

With a real light gun ....like some semi-auto's....I will go with a 30" barrel ( equivalent in length to a 32" O/U ...to counter act the light weight and the length helps me smooth out the swing a little ....like in the Benelli Super Sport model at 7.2 lbs with a 30" barrel )....
-------------------
Try and shoot both lengths...and see what suits you the best...there is no right or wrong answer in my view.../ as long as the gun "fits" you - meaning it is hitting where you look.....( Fit is way more critical than barrel length - in my view )...
Old February 18, 2015, 12:34 PM   #3
mattL46

Forgot to add that it will mostly be used for clay shooting.
Thank-you Jim!!!!
Old February 18, 2015, 12:47 PM   #4
BigJimP

Not all 30" O/U's are created equal either....its the little things...

a. like the style of the forend...Schnabel, beavertail, etc...

b. some guns in the grip or throat area...are narrow ( Beretta ) / or thicker ( Browning ) ...and some have palm swells like Browning has had for the last 10 years or so on many models.
-----------
I can adapt to a different forend style ( if I had to )...but I have a hard time getting comfortable with a gun that has a narrow throat or grip area..vs a throat or grip area that fills my hand...

I also like ported barrels ...( and some folks don't )...

I like a moderate height rib... and a parallel comb ( so comb is parallel to rib )...
-------------
My general purpose O/U's are all Browning XS Skeet models in 30" ( one in 12ga, one in 20ga, a 28ga and a .410 )....but that model is no longer in the catalog ....so if I needed a new gun, I'd probably be forced to look at one of the 725 series...which I'm not crazy about.

Brownings Cynergy line of guns....tends, to me, to feel more like a Beretta...than the traditional "blockier" feeling of the Browning Citori XS Skeet, XT Trap models that I like.....
--------------
Browning Citori 725 Skeet, with adjustable comb ...is the closest gun they have today to the XS Skeet model they made for the last 15 yrs or so...that I prefer. 725 Skeet with adj comb lists now for about $ 3,500 ...but there is one in a shop in my area for about $3,300 I think...

Last edited by BigJimP; February 18, 2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old February 18, 2015, 01:58 PM   #5
mattL46

Thanks alot Jim. I'm probably going to go with the 30" there aren't too many shops around here that I can sample and hold. Like you said my 28" pump is the same OAL as the 30" O/U and it fits me well and I like how it feels. So I think I'll go with the 30" also the 28" is harder to find in my price range.
Old February 18, 2015, 02:10 PM   #6
BigJimP

You're welcome...but wait until some of the other shooters give you their 2 cents....they may bring up a perspective that doesn't occur to me...
Old February 18, 2015, 03:03 PM   #7
mattL46

Will do Jim. I'm not necessarily in a hurry. Excited though. Trying not to hurry.
Old February 18, 2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Virginian

I think it's entirely what the shooter feels most comfortable with. Of course that means some people will only be comfortable with what is the latest trend, hence the rush to longer and longer barrels. It was the exact opposite in the early '70s, and again, all the top shooters were leading the charge.
A 30" should be no disadvantage at all on clay targets. Plowing through heavy cover after game, not so much.
I like different barrel lengths on different actions and different gauges and I am not very fashionable.
Old February 18, 2015, 03:37 PM   #9
Snyper

Once you get past 20", it becomes personal preference, since performance won't change, although handling can
Old February 18, 2015, 04:48 PM   #10
mattL46

Like I said earlier the OAL of this particular shotgun is the same as my pump that I can break a decent amount of clays with. I'm no pro shooter and don't aim to be. I'm about 5'-11" 215 lbs. I don't hunt and most likely won't. Although I like to keep that an option. With a 30" there's a touch more weight to soak up probably an un-noticeable amount of recoil. Looks do matter a bit. Although I'm mainly after smooth swinging and smooth pointability. To me the 28“ looks a bit better. Snyper what would you opt for?
Old February 18, 2015, 05:34 PM   #11
FITASC

Some depends on you and your build. On the sporting clay courses today, most folks are shooting 32" O/Us from the likes of Browning, Beretta on the low end, Blazer, Zoli and similar in the middle to Perazzi, Kreighoff and Kolar on the higher end. Folks using a semi tend to use 30" barrels as the action length still gives an OAL equal to 32" O/U.

Weight in most cases tends to run around 8-8.5 pounds. Some guns, like a Kolar with overbored barrels can run closer to 9-10#

Personally, I would try to shoot as many different guns as you can either by renting borrowing, etc - and I don't mean just shouldering or firing 2-3 shots, I mean shooting a round of whatever game you prefer to see what really feels and works right for YOU.
Old February 19, 2015, 01:53 AM   #12
Snyper

Quote:
Snyper what would you opt for?
I really don't see 2" making any practical difference, so I'd go with whichever feels best to you

I wouldn't care what anyone else was shooting, and it's not like you'd be married to it if you decide you don't like it.

FITASC already gave you the best answer:

Quote:
Personally, I would try to shoot as many different guns as you can either by renting borrowing, etc - and I don't mean just shouldering or firing 2-3 shots, I mean shooting a round of whatever game you prefer to see what really feels and works right for YOU.
Old February 19, 2015, 06:15 AM   #13
darkgael

Fits

As noted....the gun should shoot where you are looking.....more involved in that than barrel length.
Personally...I like longer barrels. They just feel comfortable in my hands and at the range (Trap) and in the field.
Btw.....
Quote:
Plowing through heavy cover after game, not so much.
You'd be surprised, maybe. The gun that I take out most often into the huckleberries and barberries has a 42" barrel. It is no more trouble than my shorter guns.
Pete
Old February 19, 2015, 09:47 AM   #14
mattL46

Thank-you so much gentlemen for the excellent advice. Being that I know literally no one with an O/U I can't borrow. Being that the closest box store that might have a couple is an hour away, I think I'm going to risk it. I'm of average build and have shot many shotguns with basic success, so I think I'm going to spring for the 30" and hope for the best. If all else fails I'll have the stock fit to me. My options to sample are stupid limited. It's harder to find the 28" in what I want in my price range. I feel pretty good about it. My funds window is closing as well. So I don't have a huge amount of time to do my homework. I think the 30" will be better suited for what I'll be doing anyhow. Thank-you again gentlemen!!
Old February 19, 2015, 11:36 AM   #15
BigJimP

Let us know how it all works out....
Old February 19, 2015, 02:14 PM   #16
NoSecondBest

Having had numerous O/U's and shot many, many clays over the years I'd opt for the 30". I went to a couple of 32" guns a few years back and added nothing to my scores by doing so. I think going under 30" might take a little bit away. I had a few 28" guns in the past and I did pick up a bit going to a little longer barrels. That's just me but I talk to a good number of shooters (who shoot a lot) and this seems to be a fairly popular belief.
Old February 19, 2015, 06:53 PM   #17
Snyper

Quote:
If all else fails I'll have the stock fit to me
That's far more important than barrel length

If you can find a used gun and then decide you want something different, you won't lose quite as much on a sale or trade

If you're frequenting ranges anyway, there's a good chance someone there has guns for sale
Old February 19, 2015, 07:40 PM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
Thank-you so much gentlemen for the excellent advice. Being that I know literally no one with an O/U I can't borrow. Being that the closest box store that might have a couple is an hour away, I think I'm going to risk it. I'm of average build and have shot many shotguns with basic success, so I think I'm going to spring for the 30" and hope for the best. If all else fails I'll have the stock fit to me. My options to sample are stupid limited. It's harder to find the 28" in what I want in my price range. I feel pretty good about it. My funds window is closing as well. So I don't have a huge amount of time to do my homework. I think the 30" will be better suited for what I'll be doing anyhow. Thank-you again gentlemen!!
Since I do not know where you are, try here:

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/index.php

Pick your state and see what's available.
Old February 19, 2015, 08:33 PM   #19
mattL46

Thanks so much guys. I'm not part of a range. Primarily because I can do everything they can in my backyard (minus thousands and thousands of dollars worth of machines) I informally shoot clay and my center fire rifles in the back pasture. Secondly the two decent ranges here are just too costly. For as much time as I have to shoot it would almost be a waste. Although one particular club I'm considering joining for the shotgun course alone. There is a credited stock fitter in the metro area near me. (I live in oklahoma, I'm in Guthrie about 40 miles north of Okc) I have a back up plan if things go south. I'm fairly confident it will be ok at the worst. I've shot many different shot guns and I've always had a good amount of hits with many different guns. I'm no pro shooter, far from it actually, but I'm feeling pretty good about it. Im waiting on uncle Sam to give me my allowance. Hopefully the gun isn't sold between now and then.
Old February 19, 2015, 09:05 PM   #20
Dreaming100Straight

I am not sure where you are in relation to it, but is Silver Leaf Shotgun Sports close enough for an occasional trip? It, like what might appear to be private clubs, is open to the public. It doesn't look to have a pro shop, but give it a call and it may have some rentals. You may also want to look into a lesson. There may be other open to the public "clubs" in you area. Just give them a call. You may find that some of the shooters are ready to help a new guy and will let you try their guns.
Old February 19, 2015, 09:11 PM   #21
mattL46

Yep silver leaf is only a few miles down the same road I live on. And it's the higher of the two clubs. It's a beautiful range. And I'm sure we'll worth the money. Just a little costly right now. I'm not saying I'll never go. Just not in the cards right away.
Old February 21, 2015, 04:19 PM   #22
Dreaming100Straight

Sometimes it is worth it to go to the high dollar club, such as one in my area has some pretty decent rentals. Once in a while I go there, but usually I need a specific reason; to meet someone, take a lesson, or try a demo (rental), but otherwise the closer and less costly range does the trick. My main point was that while some private clubs have a fee for membership, many or open to the public even if some privileges may be reserved for members.
Old February 21, 2015, 06:27 PM   #23
mattL46

True. This club is semi private. Open to the public most weekdays. There is one sporting clays course exclusive to members. Also members get a small discount on their round of targets. If I understood the information correctly. The other farther cheaper range suits me Better and is a nice range. They only offer trap and skeet however. They do offer every discipline other than scatter gunning also. Which is a plus to me.
Old February 21, 2015, 07:10 PM   #24
Dreaming100Straight

Besides, my rule of thumb is why join a club that would have me?
Old February 21, 2015, 10:14 PM   #25
mattL46

Another pondering question. I would love to join for the experience. But at $300 for startup, that's like a truck payment...or a small chunk of this O/U I want to buy. Or reloading goodies...or half of a good used gun. I don't know. Maybe if work gets crazy good then just maybe....then I won't ever have time to go!!!!!