The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 17, 2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Glockstar .40

dont know what to do

I have a norinco SKS in a tapco stock with 1 40 round ak mag and 3 20 round ak mags with 500 rounds of WPA black box... a buddy of mine wants to buy it all for 900$!! this is a great deal for me but the thing is I really like it and dont really wanna sell it but its hard to pass up for that kinda cash. Am I dumb if i dont take him up on this offer??
Old March 17, 2013, 09:41 AM   #2
cecILL

Gee, 71 views and no replys. To me, a no-brainer. SELL.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
xtphreak

Re: dont know what to do

My first Norinco SKS got dressed in a Combat Exchange (?) Folding stock, detachable 30 rd mag, 4X scope etc.
Sold it to a deputy who wanted a carbine for his patrol car as a supplement to his issued shotgun.
Found out much later that my "improvements" made it illegal!
Look up the 13 (or 14 for European SKS) parts that have to be changed to US made parts in order to change it from the imported condition.

FYI
Old March 17, 2013, 10:34 AM   #4
tahunua001

Quote:
My first Norinco SKS got dressed in a Combat Exchange (?) Folding stock, detachable 30 rd mag, 4X scope etc.
Sold it to a deputy who wanted a carbine for his patrol car as a supplement to his issued shotgun.
Found out much later that my "improvements" made it illegal!
Look up the 13 (or 14 for European SKS) parts that have to be changed to US made parts in order to change it from the imported condition.

FYI
you do not have to change out 14 parts on an SKS to make it legal 922R says you can't have more than 10 foreign made parts and lists specific parts.
if it's original configuration then it gets around 922R by being considered C&R but as soon as you replace 1 part you have to change out enough with US made parts that it becomes compliant.
since the SKSM(SKS that take AK magazines) were made by century(or whatever company imported them) they had to make the SKS M fully 922R compliant before selling so adding the stock change OP is well within 922R compliance parameters.

normally with Chinese SKS all you need to do is replace the magazine and stock to make it 922R compliant as this removes the floor plate, magazine body, stock and handguard and drops the number of foreign listed parts down to 10.

as to the OPs dilema, I personally would not sell, if you still like it, shoot it and have a use for it then there is no reason you should feel obliged to sell.
SKSM are hard to find anyway and would a pain to replace.

here is a page that lists the specific parts that can be changed to make it compliant.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Ruger480

I've sold 2 guns and regretted it both times. I say keep it. If you want to get rid of it, trade it but don't sell it.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:36 AM   #6
dean1818

It's a want or need thing.....

Do you already have multiple semi autos?

I got into the AR15 world in the fall....... The SKS got sold

It was collecting dust

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old March 18, 2013, 08:49 AM   #7
TAKtical

If you have an AK, sell the sks. If you dont, keep it because its as good or better than an AK.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 19, 2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Gunnutfn49

Sks are great. Dont sell.

...What he meant to add was, "unless, of course, all responsible citizens are armed to the teeth."
Old March 19, 2013, 08:17 PM   #9
FALshootist

I'd sell an SKS for $900 in a heart beat.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:25 PM   #10
mrvco

Now that the AWB is "dead"... sell it while the selling is still good and buy two in the coming glut.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:44 PM   #11
stu925

Nope don't sell it. You will regret it later if you do. I've regretted just about every gun I've ever sold (well all but 1 of them) and I don't sell them anymore. I suppose if I bought a gun and hated it I might sell it but if I liked it at all I would keep it.

Stu
Old March 19, 2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Glockstar .40

thanks for the input guys! i was gonna sell it and pick up a 300 win mag and a scope but my wife said dont sell it we will get ya the win mag

i love my wife
Old March 19, 2013, 11:35 PM   #13
tahunua001

^^^ jealous...
Old March 19, 2013, 11:40 PM   #14
Dragline45

Quote:
thanks for the input guys! i was gonna sell it and pick up a 300 win mag and a scope but my wife said dont sell it we will get ya the win mag
Now that's a keeper.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:46 AM   #15
Ignition Override

Glockstar .40:

If you decide that you Must sell it, you might read up (if not already) on the Czech VZ-58.
Some knowledgeable guys with Youtube Channels describe their impressions. Whether these are Century guns, no idea.
If cash doesn't soon 'burn a hole in your pocket', you will have tons of discounted choices.

"hickok45" field strips both the 58 and the AK-47 side-by-side, to prove that they are totally different guns.
Even the magazines can Not be interchanged, and cost a bit more for the VZ. If the Taliban or Hezbollah have no cells in our area, no sweat.

"Sturmgewehr' also really likes his. I doubt that any version of a Tech Sight has been developed for the Czech gun.

For what it's worth, even though I have a Service Grade Garand, six Enfields, two FR8s etc, I never considered selling my common Norinco SKS, with the Tech Sight TS 200. The ergos seem better than any AK and I then knew nothing about VZs, except for Mausers.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 21, 2013 at 01:53 AM.