The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Rebel

New reloaders bench

I want to say thanks to everyone on this forum who has provide some very knowledgeable information regarding reloading.

In about 2 months time I went from never reloading anything to setting up a bench/works space that I'm proud of. I have the Hornady LNL AP press setup for .380, .38/357/, 9mm, 45acp, .223, 8mm Mauser.

I took the advice offered to most new reloaders and that was to first educate yourself and buy some books then read them. I purchased the ABC's of reloading(very good!), Hornady 9th, Lyman 49th. I know I still have a lot to learn but at least now I know enough about the process and the tasks to safely reload.

I was able to setup my a few of my dies and make some dummy rounds. I have attached a picture of them (45acp, .38spc, 9mm). After everything was setup I loaded my first 9mm test rounds with 4.1gr of w321 using hornady 115gr rn bullets. I loaded up 10 rounds and can't wait to get to the range to test them!!! I plan to load up some test rounds for the .45acp and .38 spc some time this week. I've definitely been bitten by the bug and can't wait to get more equipment and run that AP press to it's full potential.

After I loaded up the 9mm I ran into an issue I didn't expect and wanted to ask the forum. When I was dumping the unused powder back into its container there was a lot of powder stuck to the powder measure by what appears to be static electricity. Is this common? I did disassemble the entire powder measure and clean it with Hornady one shot gun cleaner and dry lube per the instructions. Is my basement to dry and this will continue to happen until i get a humidifier? I have gotten some graphite lube and have lightly brushed the metal parts of the powder measure.

Thanks again for any information you can provide!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dummy Rounds1.jpg (104.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Reloading bench1.jpg (97.1 KB, 148 views)
Old February 25, 2013, 09:05 PM   #2
jepp2

That isn't a reloading bench, that is an estate! Great job.

When I have issues with static, I use a dryer fabric softener cloth and wipe the inside and outside. I really helps reduce the static charge. I live where it is high and dry and static is really a problem.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:11 PM   #3
snooze

That looks really nice. I like the idea of having mats around the bench for the feet and legs. I might have to do that myself.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Ca Lunker

Nice setup. I wiped my powder dispenser with dryer softener/static sheet (bounce brand) to eliminate static electricity. Good luck reloading.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:48 PM   #5
redrick

Nice setup.

I am waiting on my first press now. Backorder date was 02-28. While waiting I have read two books, Lyman 49th and Pistol & Revolver 3rd ed. The press kit comes with another book by Lee.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:01 PM   #6
lamarw

Very nice Rebel. I like how you stated taught myself and read everything I could get my hands on since most of us started off this way. I got started with shotshell reloading prior to computers or at least less than building size computers. I also started handloading the .243 Winchester with the simple little Lee kit with a small plastic head hammer back in the 70's.

There is no excuses for not learning to reload if you are a shooter.

I think the day will come when we reloaders are going to be even more thankful for our skills and ability. I see taxation of ammo coming or at least initially for new ammo. It may take a lot longer to attempt to tax us to death on reloading components other than normal sells tax.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Fire_Moose

Re: New reloaders bench

USED dryer sheet**
Old February 26, 2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Rebel

@Fire_Moose - Thanks for the advice on the used dryer sheet.

I was afraid to use a new dryer sheet due to the possibility of contaminating my powder with the chemicals/residue that would come off a new dryer sheet.

@Lamarw - Education is key when it comes to reloading safely. I know not to assume anything on any part of the process.

I feel you are exactly right when it comes to reloading skills being only more valuable in the future and was one of the reason I decided to teach myself how to.

This is for other new reloaders:

I tried to use the panic to my advantage some what. Since everything was either on back order or would take 4-8 weeks to ship then that meant I had time to read as much as I could prior to equipment being delivered. The first question I asked myself is what kind of press do I want. I decided on a full progressive press given my end goal (Higher volume in less time/shoot more for less). I don't feel a full progressive press is for every beginner so research press fully before making that purchase because outside of components needed it will be your biggest expense. I see the value in starting with a single stage and will be getting one (another hornady LNL) when I can find just the press and powder measure together.

Once I found my press in stock I ordered and started researching what other equipment is needed (i feel it's a bunch ). There is definitely a cost to convenience factor when deciding on what accessories to equip the rest of your bench. Once I decided what equipment I wanted then I would immediately place an order and then just called back and add to each order as needed. I did this so I was already in the order pipeline and wouldn't have multiple orders from the same site with different ship dates.

I had to really rely on the internet and multiple websites to gather the equipment as I don't have a plethora of LGS that carry any significant reloading supplies. That being said I was fortunate to have one shop that has/had powder, primers, and projectiles.

If there was one thing that I was at a disadvantage during the panic was that I really didn't know the cost of stuff during pre-panic times. I know I wasn't able to come across any pre-panic deals but at the same time I would not do business with companies that I felt were obviously gouging people. I believe I have about 2k in my bench,equipment, and components(2-3k projectiles, 8lbs assorted powders, 7k assorted primers, 2k assorted bullets).

If there are any new reloaders that would like to ask me questions on how I got to the point to where I am now then please ask. I would love to contribute on what I learned so far (even though its not a lot compared to others on this forum).

God bless and safe reloading to all!
Old February 26, 2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Rebel

@Snooze

The anti-fatigue pads are a nice addition. I built my bench at 40" tall so i can sit or stand depending on how I'm feeling or what I'm doing.

I bought them at Harbor Freight for 7.99 on sale for a 4pack. Needed 4 packs with extra left over from 1 pack.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:11 PM   #10
dickttx

I keep an unused dryer sheet rolled up inside my powder measure when it is not in use. It pretty much eliminates static. The LnL is handy for emptying the powder measure as you can just twist out the die bushing and pour the powder back in the can. If you use a funnel you can tap the top of the measure on the funnel and pretty much clear out any loose powder.