The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 23, 2010, 09:05 AM   #1
doofus47

Suggestions for Cleanin lube from .22 ammo

I have some biathlon ammo from Eley. 22lr. It has "lube" on it. The lube is heavy waxy stuff. last year, toward the end of biathlon season, I started having troubles with extraction. I cleaned the heck out of my bore/chamber, but the problem persisted. I took the rifle to my gunsmith who told me that my chamber had few burrs in it. He cleaned it. My superstitious soul still looks suspiciously towards the "lube" with an evil glare.

I don't see what the point of the lube is and want to remove it.

Can I use denatured alcohol? Will regular Hoppes 9 do the trick? Just use a rag?

If someone has a compelling reason for me to keep the lube, I would be willing to listen, although regular .22lr ammo has never failed me in 5 degree temps and snow storms either.

Any advice appreciated.
thanks
Old July 26, 2010, 07:21 AM   #2
doofus47

Moderator, can you move this thread to the gunsmith forum, please?
thanks
Old July 30, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3
cv73

you dont want to take off the bullet lube,it has a lot to do with leading and accuracy.
Old August 25, 2010, 09:56 AM   #4
old jeff

You may have problems with your chamber but the lube certainly is not responsible for burrs in the chamber. General cleaning will not correct a chamber burr, Did your 'smith correct the problem?

I would question your cleaning technique. What are you shooting? Bolt action? Are you using a bore guide? Have you ever dry fired? These are the number 1 and 2 reasons for chamber damage in a rimfire.

It won't take much for the end of a rod to ding the chamber and create a little burr. Particularly if you are aggressive with your cleaning. If your firing pin travel is too far or the pin is too wide it can create a burr on an empty chamber.

The lube is there on purpose, removing it will not improve your situation. In fact it will probably cause other problems. All you need to do is run a few dry patches thru the barrel after your shooting session and you will be fine.

Of course this is assuming that the burrs have been removed.

Good luck
Old August 26, 2010, 09:21 PM   #5
doofus47

I usually run a bore snake down the barrel a few times after shooting, then a few dry patches on a rod, then a patch with oil, then a few more patches.
I might well have dinged it by rod or by dry firing--probably both.
But Old Jeff, you are correct--the answer to my 64 cent question was "burrs in the chamber." My gunsmith found them, then cleaned it up and then replaced the extractor as well.
Now all is better.
I'm still not excited about the lube, but I am beginning to see the beauty of it.

thanks for the info, guys!
Old August 27, 2010, 08:23 AM   #6
old jeff

Glad you got the problem fixed. It's always frustrating to have a shooting iron down. When it comes to rimfires, a dinged chamber is a double whammy of pain and frustration.

FYI, you can usually fix your own problem. Check Brownells or Midway and search for chamber iron.
Old August 28, 2010, 04:13 PM   #7
doofus47

Fix my own problem? oooo, AND have extra tools? I like the sound of that!!
It's a win-win! Thanks again for the help
Old August 30, 2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Bones

In a word, "Ed's Red"