The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 16, 2010, 02:27 AM   #1
bcrash15

Spotting Scopes (Barska, Vortex, and others)

I’m really wanting a spotting scope now that I have started going to a shoot that has cease-fires scheduled at infrequent intervals. I probably don’t need (and can’t afford) a super-premium quality one from Leupold or similar. I would like to be able to see .223 holes up to at least a couple hundred yards and .30 cal holes out a bit farther (what power range should I be looking for?), and a 45° eyepiece would be nice. Realistically, I can only budget to spend around $300 right now. I have found the following and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Barska or Vortex spotting scopes (I know Barska’s rifle scopes have had some less than stellar reports, but spotting scopes don’t have to hold up to recoil.) Also, other suggestions are welcome.

Barska
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=556286

Vortex
http://www.spottingscopes.com/spotti...mpactscope.cfm
Old March 23, 2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Alexis Morrison

Vortex spotting scope

Vortex is one of the best producers of spotting scopes that I had experience with. I would strongly recommend Vortex Spotting Scopes for anyone interested. I like the combination of ergonomic design, performance, ruggedness and great value. While other producers claim the latest technologies and innovations, Vortex Spotting Scopes continue in the tradition of Vortex brand with its attention to detail, proven functionality and unbeatable price to usability ratio. Whatever your application, when looking for a good riflescope - don't count out the good ole Vortex. If looking for a good selection at a reasonable price, several online stores carry them in stock, but I found the best service at Webyshops - they have in depth product detail, pictures, comparisons and reviews. Check them out if just for product research.
Old March 23, 2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Morrison
Check them out if just for product research.
Wow.... this post is oddly similar to your very first post.... in fact, it's an exact duplicate...

Very convincing.... I have no doubt that you're nothing more than a satisfied, unbiased user and not a salesman or anything nefarious like that...
Old March 23, 2010, 01:04 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

Peetza,

Its here too:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_post...916&PID=298590

LOL
Old March 23, 2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Adirondack

A great scope for the money is the Konus 80. I have no problems seeing .223 holes at 200 yards and it's loaded with features you wouldn't expect in this price range. It can be bought from Midway for $219.99

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=466045
Old March 23, 2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Brasky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondac
A great scope for the money is the Konus 80. I have no problems seeing .223 holes at 200 yards and it's loaded with features you wouldn't expect in this price range. It can be bought from Midway for $219.99
Totally agree. I did much research and read tons and tons of reviews before investing in a "best bang for the buck" spotting scope. The continuous good reviews of the glass quality of the Konus is what finally sold me, and I have not been disappointed. I use mine mainly for seeing tiny .17hmr holes at 100 yards and it's not an issue at all. With color splash targets, I have no doubt I could pick them out at 200 and beyond.
Old March 25, 2010, 01:49 AM   #7
saands

I looked at this thread only because you didn't mention the Konus in the title ... I too, have a Konus 80 and love it. The reviews panned the included tripod, so I ordered a replacement when I ordered the scope and would recommend against that ... I would have been 100% fine with the included one. The replacement IS nicer but the original that came with mine was not too bad. I use mine for longer range stuff mostly (800+yds) but it is great in the closer ranges as well. What I did find to be totally cheap on that one was the case. I upgraded to a Nikon case that is form fitting ... now the scope goes in my backpack when I head out.

As for power, you won't need much more than 20x or 25x ... but invest in a bigger objective ... it looks like you already figured that out by your two options ... this is smart, as the light you let in directly affects the clarity of the image you get.

I forgot to mention that the camera adapter that comes with it works REALLY well ... we have been able to get video of the bullet trails when we were shooting at targets across a 825yd canyon ... you can watch the bullets arc over and up and then back in and down to the target ... it is almost as cool as shooting

Saands
Old March 25, 2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Adirondack

Well I see the Konus 80 is out of stock at Midway now.

Creedmoor sports has them for around $235

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store...cat=561&page=1

As saands mentioned, the case isn't very good and the tripod isn't that great either but considering the overall price of the package; it's perfectly adequate.

I have recently ordered the 'Polecat' scope stand ($286) and cases for both the scope and stand from Creedmoor so I'll have almost twice as much into accessories as the scope itself. I'm perfectly okay with that though; if my stand should happen to fall over and the scope hits the deck, I'll be glad it wasn't a Kowa
Old April 2, 2010, 02:31 AM   #9
addecus

try jarheadtop.com he gives the best deal on konus. try not to get sidetracked with the kowa's .. those are the cats a$$