Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 23, 2005, 07:32 AM   #1
ron8903

My first fobus holster

Just got my first fobus paddle for my sig p230 its nice but it's a little tight
will it losen up with use? if not what will help it along
Old March 23, 2005, 07:43 AM   #2
Nortonics

If it's leather, the way Milt Sparks suggests and the way I helped mine along was to take the thick plastic bag the holster was delivered in and wrap my gun with it, then holster it. I actually used two bags for extra thickness. When your gun isn't in use, just do this and leave it. It does help.

Just wearing it for a while you'll see marked improvement as well - takes some time...
Old March 23, 2005, 07:47 AM   #3
FlyinGN

spray some WE40 in it. Thats what most guys do with Fobus holsters.
Old March 23, 2005, 10:28 AM   #4
ron8903

Thanks for the info. think I'll try the WD-40 as it's not leather
Old March 23, 2005, 06:47 PM   #5
Cazach

Most Kydex holsters will smooth out a little (but not much) with use. If it is too tight after the WD40 trick you can use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften it up and stretch it out. Just take care and don't loosen it up too much.
Old March 23, 2005, 07:21 PM   #6
emt118

Caz, is right I heated mine infront of a kero. heater and than put my gun in it
and since it was winter I placed it outside and it molded just right ......
Old April 10, 2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Halojumper

You can adjust it

The Fobus holsters have a tension adjustment screw. It's on the side of the holster. Just loosen it and experiment with the retention strength.
Old May 1, 2005, 10:11 PM   #8
mikeb9550

Most Fobus dont have an adjustment screw but you can drill out the rivet and put one in yourself.
Old May 2, 2005, 04:00 PM   #9
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

When I first saw a Fobus, it was hate at first sight. Now, 4 of them later, I think they're the neatest thing since a zipper in pants. They're made for specific models of weapons, and they're supposed to be tight. That's their retention function. My dealer also suggested WD-40, but I've only had to use it a couple of times. In spite of how tight it is, I've found that a proper draw is both easy and fast, but you do need to draw straight out of it. If you try to draw at any kind of angle, it won't budge. Where you wear it is also important. Experiment with it at different locations on your belt to find where your "natural" draw is. If you want to change the tension to loosen it up, the test is whether you can hold it upside down without the weapon falling out. If it falls out, it's too loose. Can't beat 'em for twenty bucks!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 16, 2005, 03:25 AM   #10
Dave85

I just got my first one a week ago, and it loosened up TOO much. After a dozen or so practice draws, I got a good solid feel for the right draw angle. not too long after that, it just seemed to just open up. I tip it upside-down and the piece drops right out. Any suggestions on how to tighten it back up? Retention seems to be achieved by pressure on the trigger guard. As there is no rivet at the back of that portion, the retrofitting of a screw is not feasible.
Old July 16, 2005, 01:07 PM   #11
jacobtowne

ron8903:
FWIW: I carry a SIG P232 also, but I use a Don Hume open top leather belt holster when wearing a jacket or shirt outside the trousers. In summer, I sometimes use a Kramer Confidante, which is a fishnet T-shirt with holsters under the arms.
Nice pistol.
JT
Old July 16, 2005, 06:41 PM   #12
tanstaafl4y

+1 on the "give it a while you'll get used to it" theory.

The intent of the fobus design is that only the person weraing the holster will be able to draw the pistol. As crazy as this idea seems - I am not a tinkerer...I figure that Fobus (or any other company) probably spent more money on R&D than I did so If It an't broke I don't want to F*%# with it.