The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 31, 2012, 05:42 AM   #1
rebs

Glock or 1911 for CC ?

Which one is safer for CCW ?
I have been carrying my model 19 with 4" barrel and am thinking about going to a compact auto, like a smaller Glock or 1911. Which caliber is recommended, something comparable to my 357 mag ?
Old October 31, 2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Which one is safer for CCW ?
With both proper gun handling and a good condition holster made for your specific gun, neither gun is safer than the other.
Old October 31, 2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Which one is safer for CCW
Both are extremely safe; pick the one you're most proficient with.

Quote:
something comparable to my 357 mag
That's a lot to ask out of a semi-auto.

One of the 357SIG models or maybe a G29 would fit the bill. In a 1911; perhaps a Delta Elite.
Old October 31, 2012, 06:31 AM   #4
TacticalDefense1911

One can be as safe as the other given proper gun handling and good training. If you've been carrying a Glock I would stick with that platform and would not recommend a compact 1911 for a ccw. Also, the 1911 is a completely different platform and would require different training needs; another reason to stick with the Glock.

As far as calibers go, one is really not better then the next in the context of civilians needs for cc and if you choose a major service caliber from 9mm to 45 acp. If you are shooting 9mm currently there really is no need to change calibers, just choose a premium defense load from a major manufacturer with a modern bullet design.
Old October 31, 2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
If you've been carrying a Glock I would stick with that platform and would not recommend a compact 1911 for a ccw.

+1 if you're used to draw, point, & shoot. Stick to it. Adding a safety to disengage can be a big deal if you're not used to it.

Quote:
If you are shooting 9mm currently there really is no need to change calibers, just choose a premium defense load from a major manufacturer with a modern bullet design.
+1 easier to shoot, carries more rounds, you're used to it. Marginal differences in handgun calibers with modern hollow points.
Old October 31, 2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Gaerek

I hate this cliche:

"The only safety you need is the one between your ears."

But let's face it, whether you gun has a manual safety or not, your gun shouldn't be pointed at anything you don't want to shoot, and your finger shouldn't be touching the trigger unless you're ready to fire.

I've seen several guns in my lifetime (from BB guns, Ruger 10/22's, and 1911's) that could be fired with the safety on safe. The fact that the Glock doesn't have a manual safety doesn't make it more dangerous than one that does. One could easily make the argument that a manual safety gives you a false sense of security, whereas with a Glock, you're well aware of the fact that there is no manual safety and you're going to be extra cautious. I don't know if I'd make that argument, but I've seem some who have.

Never rely on a mechanical safety device. If you do, it's going to bite you some day.
Old October 31, 2012, 12:06 PM   #7
temmi

They can both be safe if you are familar with their use.

But

If I could carry a Full size HG it would be a SigP220

I like the DA/SA action and decocker

Snake

Last edited by temmi; November 1, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old October 31, 2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Denezin

depends on fit to your hand. also as krezyhorse said with correct handling both guns are not safer than the other. now im a 1911 fan over glock but it also depends on what you are comfortable with. and yeah a 357sig from a 4 inch barrel is about as good as it gets to replicating a 357 mag in an auto. of course you could get a coonan classic or cadet.
Old October 31, 2012, 12:54 PM   #9
nate45

If you're thinking of going smaller than the Glock 19, definitely try the Glock 26 first, since you are intimately familiar with that platform.
I myself would stick with the 19 over the 26 and go smaller than the 26 in a compact.

I prefer the Kahr PM9, as a pistol that is more compact than a Glock 26 and way less bulky.
I also like the PM9 trigger better, than Glock.

At least hold the PM9, or CM9. You'll be surprised at their 'larger' pistol feel and good sight pictures.

I've used the 1911 platform for 30+ years, I also prefer the PM9 to it for CCW.
For years I used .38 Special S&W J-frames for CCW, I now prefer the PM9 to them as well.
The PM9 holds 7-8 rounds, has a better sight picture and is easier all around to make hits with than with a J-frame.

Old October 31, 2012, 01:18 PM   #10
TMD

Been carrying a G27 for several years now and haven't shot myself so I guess its somewhat safe. I've tried a Ruger SP101 and a S&W 642 but went back to the Glock for no reason other then I was more comfortable carrying it.
Old October 31, 2012, 02:49 PM   #11
ScotchMan

Several posters have implied that the OP is familiar with Glocks. His OP says he carries a .357 Mag revolver and says nothing of having ever fired a Glock. Just to be clear.

I think the Glock is the superior weapon. You are already familiar with the manual of arms (draw and fire, no safeties or decockers). Beyond that, it becomes very personal which weapon you prefer, but I prefer the characteristics of the Glock more than the 1911 for every day carry.

I would choose (and have) a gun that is neither a Glock or a 1911 for personal use, but between the two, I'm getting a Glock 26 Gen4.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old October 31, 2012, 02:57 PM   #12
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
Several posters have implied that the OP is familiar with Glocks. His OP says he carries a .357 Mag revolver and says nothing of having ever fired a Glock. Just to be clear.
Ummm...he says right in the first post that he has been carrying his G19. He never says anything in this thread about carring a revolver. All he mentions is that he wants to know what caliber is comparible to a .357 magnum.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:02 PM   #13
TMD

I'm guessing OP is referring to a S&W model 19.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

Oh damn. Guilty for not fully reading the post. Model 19 S&W I have me one of those. Amazing too btw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1351713922098.jpg (46.1 KB, 28 views)
Old October 31, 2012, 03:18 PM   #15
jimbob86

Not so fast.....

Quote:
Ummm...he says right in the first post that he has been carrying his G19.
Actually, he said.....

Quote:
I have been carrying my model 19 with 4" barrel and am thinking about going to a compact auto......
"Model" =/= "Glock"

Some folks read words .... others see what they want to see .....
Old October 31, 2012, 03:32 PM   #16
MLeake

A few beat me to it; the OP wants to transition from a .357 S&W 19 to an auto.

Simplicity of skill transfer would favor the Glock. Personally, I prefer and carry 1911s. I have owned Glocks, but prefer the ergonomics and slimness of the 1911.

As usual, my answer would be to try to handle and, if possible, shoot each in order to make an informed decision.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Dashunde

Quote:
...like a smaller Glock or 1911. Which caliber is recommended, something comparable to my 357 mag ?
Check out the Glock 27, it might be what your looking for.
While it lacks the ballistics of the 357mag, it comes standard with 9+1 of 40s&w.. potent in its own right, plus you can swap the barrels in the G27 for 357sig if you want, and 9mm for plinking.

The 27 is a bunch smaller than the Glock 29 10mm, which is as close to 357mag performance as Glock gets.

While many carry a 1911 in some for or other, I find them heavy for their capacity.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:48 PM   #18
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchMan
Yes, I'm sorry for misreading your post OP.
I have two Model 19 S&Ws as well as a Combat Masterpiece and I had a Model 66 4" for years.
I would still rather carry the PM9.

However, if I wanted something the size of a Glock 19, or Commander size 1911 type, I'd probably get the S&W M&P, or the Walther PPQ.
They are even more reliable and refined than a Glock, which there is nothing wrong with.
The 1911 is a great gun, but, some examples, are more finicky than the more modern Glock, S&W, Walther.

In the end though OP has to use it, so no one can decide for him. You may end up getting two or three that you like best and deciding that way.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:50 PM   #19
MLeake

The upside to "heavy for capacity" is that they have less recoil for caliber, and are more controllable in one handed shooting.

Weaver, Chapman, and isosceles holds help a lot with lighter, snappier guns. Being a firm believer in Murphy, though, I do not count on having both hands free, or even operable, during a self-defense situation.

Plus, with good gear (typically a Sam Andrews belt and MacDaniel IWB combo), I really do not notice the carry weight. And, single stack spare mags are easier to carry and conceal.
Old October 31, 2012, 07:13 PM   #20
Nanuk

If you are looking to transition from the 357 Magnum revolver to a semi auto with the same power level of the 357 Magnum the choice is easy. The 357 Sig was tailor made for that purpose. A Glock will be smaller, lighter and of course greater capacity than the revolver.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:39 PM   #21
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
Actually, he said.....

Quote:
I have been carrying my model 19 with 4" barrel and am thinking about going to a compact auto......

"Model" =/= "Glock"

Some folks read words .... others see what they want to see .....
A thousand pardons...you are correct and I apologize. People still carry wheelguns?
Old October 31, 2012, 09:05 PM   #22
orionengnr

Try both....decide which you like better.

In general:
--Glocks are cheaper, simpler in operation and offer more caliber choices.
--1911s are slim, easy to carry, have very good triggers and are relatively easy to shoot well...and the more time you spend shooting them the better you will become.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:37 AM   #23
ScotchMan

It was the 4" barrel that really gives it away. No one specifies barrel length when talking about autos (Glock 19 is a Glock 19), but that is a huge factor for deciding between revolvers.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 1, 2012, 09:40 AM   #24
Dashunde

Quote:
The upside to "heavy for capacity" is that they have less recoil for caliber, and are more controllable in one handed shooting.

I have a G21 and recently sold my last 1911. The G21 fully loaded with 13+1 weighs about the same as a typical loaded 1911.
The G21 has noticeably less felt recoil than any 1911 I've shot - even when its light-loaded with only 5 rounds at a time (at the range).
I think the spring, bore axis, slide weight, grip width, and a bunch of other little details combine to make overall weight a secondary influence on recoil absorption.

But I wouldn’t carry either of them.. both are far too big and/or heavy for my tastes.
Someone above mentioned the 357Sig, considering the OP is no stranger to recoil or ammo prices (357mag shooter) he might get along real nicely with the Glock 33.

I don’t consider either one, Glock or 1911, to be particularly safer than the other, they each have their pro's and con's.
I don’t like manual safeties on carry pistols and I much prefer the Glock trigger in a ccw.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:57 PM   #25
rebs

Is it a truth that Glock says not to shoot lead bullets in them ? I usually shoot lswc's for practice because they are cheaper to reload. Should that be a consideration in my choice ?
In my model 19 357 I shoot 158 gr lswc for target and practice, then use 158 gr hollow points for carry.