The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 19, 2008, 11:20 PM   #1
Fremmer

Help me come up with a plan!

I was recently invited to go hunting on Saturday. It is a small plot of farmland. I've never been there before; the guy who invited me got a buck there last Saturday, and he saw at least 20 deer that day. The property borders a tree farm, and the deer are crossing through the area to get to safety in the tree farm (where hunting is not allowed).

My Sister is coming into town on Friday night, and she will leave on Sunday, so I'll probably only have Saturday to hunt for the entire season. By the way, the season started last Saturday, and will end on Monday, so by now the deer know what's up with all of these guys in orange running around shooting at them (they will be quite a bit more wary). Essentially, I have one day to get a deer in an area I've never been to. I have an "either sex" tag, and also a bonus doe tag. So I can take a buck if I want, and two deer if I get really lucky . By the way, my friend says he saw an enormous buck on Saturday, but he couldn't get a shot off in time to get that one.

Here's my question: how should I go about this, considering my lack of familiarity with the area, and having my deer hunting season consist of only one day? Should I be picky and wait for a good buck (and leave the does alone), or should I take a doe first (for eating purposes, I prefer a doe for eating), and then worry about getting a buck? I have not had a buck license in years. Your opinions, thoughts, and helpful advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old November 19, 2008, 11:36 PM   #2
hunter33

I would take a doe as the morning ends, if not seeing any bucks. Then go for another buck and if not successful I would take another doe that afternoon.
Old November 20, 2008, 06:54 AM   #3
sourdough44

My 2 cents; I'd want to be posted up about 20 min before shooting light. I'd want to be looking into good cover, not an open field where you may only see running deer. I'd check the forcasted wind. I want to be set up where my scent is not blowing into the good deer cover. You only have one day. I'd take a doe fairly early when you have a 100% shot, no iffy shots. Watch the doe go down, then stay put if you have a buck tag. That one shot will not spoil the area. Since you did a good heart/lung shot leave the deer lay there in sight for as long as you want, it should be cool out. I've taken several deer in one sitting with this method. One you start giving high 5's to your buddy, gutting & dragging every deer in the area will know your gig.
Old November 20, 2008, 09:02 AM   #4
sureshots

"Bird in the Hand"

If you want one for the freezer than shoot the first deer you have A shot at (Buck or Doe) within good range and with proper shot placement. "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush" There is no guarantee that you will even see another. If you do get another shot than consider yourself very fortunate. By the way, I kinda like the advice that Sourdough gave you on letting the deer lay for A while to see if another shows up(if its cold enough of course) I,ve seen it happen several times.
Old November 20, 2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Sportdog

+1 Sourdough. That is excellent advice. The only thing that I would differ from what he said was that I would have my butt planted one hour before legal shooting light. Give the area a chance to settle down from your entrance. Since you said it was farm land you will be hunting I have had good luck positioning myself on a raised area where I could cover fencelines and ditches. Especially those strips of cover that would join woodlots or creek bottoms. Good luck to you, hope that you have a good hunt.
Old November 20, 2008, 10:08 AM   #6
sourdough44

Depending on conditions it may be hard to stay warm for 1 hour before light. This also assumes(among other things) you will get into position without tracking your scent through the prime cover & as quietly as possible. I wouldn't get worked up about blinds & stands, just a butt pad to sit on where you have a good view.
Old November 20, 2008, 10:51 AM   #7
vytoland

My Sister is coming into town

forget the deer......spend the time vsiting with your sister