The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 16, 2016, 02:49 AM   #26
SailingOnBy

Quote:
A couple of questions:

- Can you describe your sight picture (what you see) in detail?

- What part of your finger are you placing on the trigger?

I am trying to keep the front sight square and level with the rear sights, and place the X on the silhouette about where the center of the front sight's dot would be.

I suppose I'd have to say my trigger is centered between the pad and first joint of my trigger finger, possible more towards the pad? I'll have to try and pay more attention when I go shooting next.

Thanks everyone so far for the replies.
Old February 16, 2016, 09:20 AM   #27
9x45

OP, can you post a pic of your grip? That would be most helpful.
Old February 16, 2016, 11:12 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

SailingOnBy,

(Just caught the initials ). Next range session, put up a blank sheet of paper or turn a target backwards and focus your attention on the front sight. Don't worry about where the hole goes. Just press the trigger so as not to disturb the sights. (I used to find it helpful to imagine I had balanced a dime on the font sight and wanted to drop the hammer without disturbing it.) Keep your eyes open through the discharge and watch where the front sight comes down. If if consistently lands left of the rear sight notch, you probably do have something in your grip biasing the muzzle. If that's the case, try shifting the gun slightly clockwise (from above) to see if you can adjust your hold so it naturally tends to return to a good sight picture, plus or minus a little tolerance.

Also, I should have mentioned dry firing practice. In order not to disturb the sights the old rule of thumb for pistol shooters used to be to dry fire three times for every live round you put down range. This was to train the habit of keeping the sight alignment still through the firing pin strike. If your gun maker recommends against dry firing in an empty chamber, get some plastic dummies to do it with.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 16, 2016, 04:57 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

Dry fire with a laser target system intalled. If the laser doesn't move when you pull the trigger it is probably your sights. If the laser mover high left you are doing something wrong.

Well, not really wrong, just not quite right. I've had people make claims just short of Gecko45 realm, then watched the shoot much worse groups. Whatever is happening, it is happening reasonably consistently. That usually means the fix isn't that difficult.

Quote:
You want to start a newbie at 3 yards so they have instant feedback and gain confidence.
With a kid I would agree. An adult should be able to handle imperfection at 7. Maybe I'm wrong on that one.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; February 16, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old February 16, 2016, 05:38 PM   #30
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingOnBy
I am trying to keep the front sight square and level with the rear sights
Also concentrate on centering the front sight between the rear blades. There should be equal amounts of light on either side of the front sight. A small lateral misalignment might be a source of your shots being pushed leftward bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingOnBy
I...place the X on the silhouette about where the center of the front sight's dot would be.
I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet: When shooting for groups (i.e. pure marksmanship), I recommend using an appropriately-sized bullseye-type target (though not a Shoot-N-C type; see my comment about "peeking" below). It's a much better target, as it offers you a more precise aim point than a plain silhouette.

And, as others offered, stay focused on the front sight. Implicit in that is avoid peeking at the target between shots. Peeking is a bad habit and a real accuracy killer.