The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 8, 2016, 09:29 AM   #26
OldMarksman
Staff

Posted by cougar gt-e:
Quote:
Oldmarksman, we are talking about the ATTACKER being armed and firing a shot at a fleeing victim...NOT the other way around.
The comment was "The perp will likely skeddadle after a few hasty shots."

Of course, the defender could not lawfully shoot, but the questions is chanter the attacker would rely on that detail in the heat of the event. I would not count on an attacker charging at a distance of say, ten feet, turning and running rather than pressing the attack.
Old February 9, 2016, 02:23 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
The company’s data says that during a one-month trial of the “ShotSpotter Flex System” this winter, it displayed 100 percent accuracy. Why the sudden improvement? After years of problems, ShotSpotter reps flew to Hartford and New Haven to change the system.
And that is in an article from 2013. My understanding the accuracy of the systems in m=place in Ohio now is not disappointing anyone. Just because police arrive on the scene and don't find a body or a blood trail does not mean no shots were fired, either. From celebratory shots in the air to just plain misses, there is a lot of gunfire that would leave no evidence at the location.
Old February 9, 2016, 06:04 PM   #28
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
And that is in an article from 2013. My understanding the accuracy of the systems in m=place in Ohio now is not disappointing anyone. Just because police arrive on the scene and don't find a body or a blood trail does not mean no shots were fired, either. From celebratory shots in the air to just plain misses, there is a lot of gunfire that would leave no evidence at the location.
The system is 80%+ accurate based on the Lt.s discussion of its implementation in 2015...
https://nextdoor.com/agency-post/ca/...0-pm-12514407/

Yeah, I would hope that after just about 20 years they would have the bugs worked out of the system, but apparently they don't. Reporting gunshots that leave no evidence is interesting when some of the gunshots reported turn out to be things other than gunshots. On top of that and 20 years, it isn't like the price for the system is coming down significantly. It is still hugely expensive to run, hence why the cities that do use it only use it in a very limited area.

And that was a big implication of what I was getting at in my post. The system has bugs. The system is hugely expensive. The system is only employed by a limited number of cities and in VERY limited areas, which means that if you or I get shot at by somebody, there is really very little chance that it will be picked up by the system unless you or I happen to be in one of the very worst areas of the city at the time, which is where these systems are predominately placed.
Old February 11, 2016, 09:39 AM   #29
Skans

The first thing I do when I see a bum approaching me is to move around. I never stand still. Yes, I tend to get approached by bums while pumping gas at gas stations in certain areas. Bums get nervous when you start to move around....add a few quick jerky movements - that scares them off; usually.