The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 18, 2007, 07:15 PM   #1
rbounds217

Barrel laser aimers: Accurate?

Has anyone ever purchased a laser aimer that inserts into the barrel? I have seen them in the store and wonder how accurate they are.
Old December 21, 2007, 12:43 PM   #2
V-fib

rbounds,

I think what you may be looking at is a "laser boresighter" that looks like a bullet and casts a laserbeam through the barrel, to the target so that you can sight in scopes, adjustable sights, and laser sights. I had one in .38sp They do go through those small button batteries quite fast. Mine was made by Aimshot.
Old December 21, 2007, 02:40 PM   #3
ffxmike

there are the ones that are shaped like the cartridge your weapon fires, but I think he may be referring to the laser boresighter that sits in the muzzle of the firearm.

I bought one from cabelas about 2 years ago and have used it a few times. I've been very satisfied with it. lets me get some of the sighting in done at home, and therefore spend more time having fun at the range.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...l&N=4887&Nty=1

Thats the one I have, and if something happened I would definitely buy it again.
Old December 21, 2007, 04:02 PM   #4
hoytinak

They do save you some time and some rounds when your sighting in. They will get you pretty close (within a couple inches). I think they're worth it just for the time it saves you sighting in.
Old December 21, 2007, 07:12 PM   #5
skeeter1

I've got one that I bought a couple of years ago. It came with about 5 different caliber inserts for a firm fit in the muzzle, ranging from .22 to .50. It works quite well, and will certainly get you in the ballpark before you've fired a round. Just make sure you remember to take it out of the bore BEFORE you try shooting! IIRC, I think I paid something like $39 for it, and it was money well spent.
Old December 21, 2007, 07:19 PM   #6
Average Joe

Here's a tip. Go to the dollar store, and get one of those laser pointers. You can open the action of your rifle, and kinda wedge it in there, and put tape over the on button to make it light. Its crude, but it will get you in the ball park for only a buck. I did this on my Rem. 700 and it worked like a charm.
Old December 23, 2007, 03:35 PM   #7
ClarkEMyers

Define accurate - given that different loads shoot to different points of aim.

Define accurate - given that different loads shoot to different points of aim I wouldn't expect the laser bore sight to match any particular load perfectly. Then too firearms especially pistols - depending on range - will shoot above their bore line as the pistol rises in recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel - one more reason to follow through.

That said laser bore sighters are certainly good enough for government work - and so used.
Old December 23, 2007, 04:21 PM   #8
ISC

We use laser bore sighters in the army, and to be most accurate they have to be zeroed and used with offsets to compensate for the difference in the planes of the sight and the bore.

We used them at Camp Robinson for the nationals and I was hitting targets in the bullseye without the opportunity to confirm zero.
Old December 23, 2007, 05:25 PM   #9
SIGSHR

I plan on getting one of the chamber insert models, I have three rifles on which I have elected to retain the iron sights, as a result I cannot use my
Bushnell "arbor in the bore" model. I also think the "catridge" model" is safer, saw a picture on another website in which someone fired his rifle with the
boresighter still in the bore. OUCH!
Old December 25, 2007, 10:00 PM   #10
rbounds217

Thanks for all the help everyone, and to V-fib: I had not heard about the one you are describing, but I will be sure to look for this one as well. Thanks for alerting me to other options. The one that I was looking at was about 3-4 inches long in a cone shape so that no matter the barrel diameter it would always center itself.
The pistol that I was looking at was a Kimber Custom Covert II which has a laser sight built into the grip. I figured that I could use the laser boresight on the wall and just match up the two laser dots by adjusting the one on the grip. I know it will never be perfect but does that sound like a reasonable way to do this? Thanks again for everyone's input!!