The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2005, 10:00 AM   #1
Gary H

Universal: 45ACP & Standard Deviation

I've been looking for a good powder pushing 230gr Gold Dot to 850-900fps with mininal flash. My experience with Universal metered through my RCBS Pro-2000 shows relatively high standard deviation (22) compared to my Titegroup reloads (12). I've noted this with LRN, plated and FMJ in 200 and 230gr. I've interpreted this as poor metering. I've also weighed the drop and confirmed that I'm getting irregular drop weight.

I'm thinking of moving up to a Dillon 1050 for .45ACP. Anyone find that Universal drops consistently from a Dillon progressive? Do you have standard deviation under control? Can you load a 230gr FMJ, or JHP to these velocities and keep accuracy under control?
Old August 16, 2005, 11:56 AM   #2
zeisloft

Gary, you load pistol the way I load rifle. I do not have any answers but I have some questions. What are you loading for? ie purpose of the ammo. It sounds to me like you are interested in extreme accuracy. The 1050 is a great press but if you are looking for bullseye shooting accuracy, (and I assume you are not shooting bullseye with FMJ), stick to a SS press. I use a 650 and get great results, with a small bit of tuning, from most pistol powders. SD in around 13-18 but even at 30-40 they still run 1 1/2 - 2" at 25 yds. this is good enough for me, I'm no bull shooter. Just curious if you are looking for extreme accuracy or extreme quantity.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old August 16, 2005, 05:32 PM   #3
HSMITH

My Dillon 550's, same measure as on a 1050 I think, meter Universal very consistently. Inside of a tenth of a grain easily.

I dream of a 1050 on my bench, one of these days......
Old August 17, 2005, 12:38 AM   #4
Gary H

No Bullseye competition. IDPA requires more reliability than pinpoint accuracy. I was previously loading mild loads for PPC. I'm basically reevaluating my powders. I want a self-defense .45 GDSB load that my father can use in a short barreled .45ACP and still have reliable expansion. I want to produce practice ammunition that produces 90% of the GDSB velocity in LRN and FMJ. I would like the Gold Dot load to be relatively low flash and I would prefer that the LRN not heavily lead the barrel. I've been able to get good accuracy with Titegroup and FMJ and LRN, but I've not been able to find any combination of Titegroup and LRN that didn't lead the barrel in a major way. Titegroup won't produce the velocities necessary for expansion out of a short barreled .45ACP. So, I'm looking at Universal or Power Pistol. I've yet to load Universal to anywhere near the published limits. I will load the GDSB on a single stage press and use a Pact auto powder dispenser/scale. The other loads will be loaded on my progressive. I'm thinking of WST for LRN.
Old August 17, 2005, 08:03 AM   #5
HSMITH

Gary, Unique will help quite a bit with the leading, and make the speeds you want with low flash. Pick up a bottle if you don't have one already. The downside is that if you are having trouble with Universal metering the Unique will be like a measure full of cornflakes. A little more forgiving measure will help, my Dillon measures throw Unique to a tenth of a grain, as does my Redding 3BR. They are the only measures I have had that do this well though.
Old August 17, 2005, 08:33 AM   #6
zeisloft

Ditto on the Unique. Great powder but a little dirty.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old August 23, 2005, 05:26 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

actual

Please e-mail direct for specifics; refer to this board-n-post and include gun details.
Old August 25, 2005, 10:18 PM   #8
William_IV

45ACP

As for throwing a charge. I've got a dillon 650. It's throwing a consistant charge to within a 10th of a GR. Currently i'm trying IMR 700X with a 230 GR speers TMJ. I tested some 185 GR FPJ Sierras with HP-38 this had a really low recoil and velocities were stated to be around 940 fps with a max of 5.8 GR You might want to consider this. Just consider, cause i'm not the pro here and i'm really not to sure about the flash factor either.
Old August 25, 2005, 10:26 PM   #9
Robert M Boren Sr

Take a good look at the ramshot line of powders. They're clean and temp tollerant. I consistantly stay under 15 SD with my 45. I use a dillon 550 press and love it. Check it out I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I use True Blue and Enforcer by Ramshot.
Old August 27, 2005, 08:35 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

more info

Alliant Power Pistol is the safest 45 ACP +P powder.