The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 25, 2005, 08:38 PM   #1
kymasabe

Need suggestions for truck gun.

Am considering getting a gun to keep in my truck. While I do carry my Kel-Tec .380, I'd like to have something else in the truck. Bigger, more accurate.
Now, need to keep cost down. There is a chance the truck will get broken into and gun stolen so don't want to cry about loosing an expensive gun so lets keep it cheap people. Doesn't have to be an automatic either, a revolver would be a possibility too. And doesn't have to be small/conceilable as it'll live in the truck. Any cheap reliable revolvers? For autos I'm thinking Mak, Hi-Point...any others? (cheap defined as...around $200 new or used, doesn't matter).
Old August 25, 2005, 09:59 PM   #2
defjon

Hmm...well,. I was down at a little gunshop last week and they were selling a Hi Point .45 WITH a tactical laser for 175...

Now, you'll hear good and bad about those things but since you just want a truck gun and not a range queen, that might be a good buy. Comes with two 9 round mags, or it did at this shop...frickin HUGE, you could never possibly conceal it! But again, doesn't matter for a truck gun. Supposedly, those horrid ugly beasts are actually quite reliable with a rock solid warranty and quick turn around time if something did go wrong, I hear around 4 days.

I gotta say for the price and caliber...it makes one think. I'm in a similar situation to yours right now, lookin for a rough and ready gun for stashin and i'm thinking about it. Instead of the P3at though, I'm sporting a Bersa. It's just so light...yet I can put 3 golden sabers between your eyes at 7 yards with ease! Great 219 dollar investment!
Old August 25, 2005, 10:03 PM   #3
dasmi

Any used Smith, Taurus, or Ruger revolver ought to cover it.
Old August 25, 2005, 10:10 PM   #4
22-rimfire

My suggestion would be a used (<90% conditon) Smith or Colt revolver in 357 and a 4" barrel. Troopers come to mine in Colt (either the original in 38spl, or the Mark III in 357). It would also be just fine for the range. Rugers are fine too. I would check out the pawn shops and gun shows for well used revolvers and settle on one of the major brand names. Be sure to check that it locks up well and functions okay and so forth. I always lean toward to major manufacturers for long term quality and durability.
Old August 25, 2005, 10:22 PM   #5
defjon

J and G used to have Maks in great condition for 170, but I believe they are temporarily out of stock
Old August 25, 2005, 10:37 PM   #6
kirkcdl

SOG has these for $229:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruggp100dao.jpg (2.7 KB, 129 views)
Old August 26, 2005, 03:26 AM   #7
radom

me I just keep a 870 in the truck, used ones go pretty cheep too, Usualy around 150-175 bucks. But out here shotguns and rifles are exempt from CCW regulations in a vehicle.
Old August 26, 2005, 04:12 AM   #8
omegapd

Radom beat me to it. If size doesn't matter, get an overhead gun rack (much harder to see if anyone's snooping around) and stick a shotgun or cheap rifle in there.
Old August 26, 2005, 07:56 AM   #9
erh

Used "J" frame S&W; 1 Snakeshot, then ball works well...!!!
Old August 26, 2005, 09:28 AM   #10
john in jax

Your handgun has "close-in" covered so I'd think you'd want something more accurate at longer ranges. I know this is a "handgun" forum, but maybe he wants/needs needs a longun.

How about a used lever-action 30-30? Used ones around here run $150-250 depending on condition - - a lot of punch in a durable little package that is accurate out to over 100 yards. In the trunk, behind the seat, under the seat this style of gun is tough and doesn't have to be babied.

Used 12ga pumps are also inexpensive, usually you can find decent ones for under $200. You can choose slugs, or buckshot for self defense and switch over to bird shot for smaller critters. Again if you are not worried about it getting a scratch or two, bouncing around behind or under the seat won't really hurt it.

I'm not advocating you abuse your guns, but I carried a 12ga behind the seat of my little S-10 for years. That old pump usually ended up at the bottom of the pile of jumper cables, tools, and everything else, but always functioned flawlessly.
Old August 26, 2005, 09:41 AM   #11
Bulldozer

Options:

1.) surplus SW/Colt/Ruger police service revolver in 357/38
2.) Makarov
3.) used Rem 870/Win 1300/Moss 500 pump gun
4.) used lever action 30-30/357/44 carbine

needs to be stashed out of sight. a gun visible and unattended in a vehicle is one of the greatest temptations for miscreants.
Old August 26, 2005, 03:08 PM   #12
tex45acp

I agree with john in jax,

But I carried an SKS, that I bought new, at the Houston Gun Show, many years ago, behind the seat of my pick-up truck. I paid $75.00 for it new, then went down two more tables and bought a synthetic stock for $25.00 and took both home. I changed stocks, since the wood one on the gun is too short for me. It is one hog getting doozue when loaded with the cheap lead nozed bullets. It served me well for many years and then my son wanted it for hog hunting so I gave it to him and bought me another. One year I took a whitetail doe with that rifle. Killed her just as good as the Model 94 Winchester Lever Action ever did. All I ever needed was the open sights that came with the gun.
Old August 26, 2005, 03:17 PM   #13
Clayfish

A good 12 gauge will do the trick. Very versitile. bird, buck, or slugs.
Old August 26, 2005, 03:41 PM   #14
joab

I agree with the others that suggest supplementing your handgun with a longgun.
My preference would be either an old 30-30, SKS or a short shotgun depending on what the foreseeable uses would be.
Old August 26, 2005, 05:16 PM   #15
Ramcharger

A truck gun huh?
Hmm never hunted trucks before. I know they have horns so they must be pretty dangerous

I usually carry a Remmy 870 Express with the shot "riot" barrel when visiting the sticks. I guess it would work ok on those mean trucks. A few slugs in the grill and it will bleed like a stuck pig.

Too many legal bad things can happen if you drive around with a handgun under your seat around here. But longarms are more forgiving law wise.
Old August 26, 2005, 05:53 PM   #16
9mm1033

I just bought an used ex-LE issued 9mm S&W 3953 for $280. Took it apart, cleaned it with Tetra-Gun Action Blaster (man does that stuff work) test fired it and she's like new. It's loaded with Federal Hydra-Shok. If it gets dinged up, so what.
Old August 26, 2005, 06:00 PM   #17
longbaugh

I bought a surplus stainless SW .357mag for $190 at a local gunshop called Lawmans in Columbia S.C. I bought another one a couple months later for $200. They get them in pretty regular as department trade-ins, no ejected shells in case you need to leave the scene and you can be sure that they will fire if you pull the trigger.
Old August 26, 2005, 06:24 PM   #18
mark8252

Truck Gun

Look at a Smith and Wesson Sigma Pistol. I have one in 9mm and it performs very well. So far over 500 rounds with no jams at all. I paid $195 for it in like new condition. Excellant choice for a truck or car. Mine is the Model SW9VE.

I also agree you cannot go wrong with a shotgun. I keep a 12ga Mossberg 500 with me when I camp here in rural Colorado (along with a SW 629 44 magnum). Bears, coyotes, and mountain lions are not unusual here. This Mossberg is dinged up but works perfectly. Paid $110 for it. Also perfect for a car or truck. Working guns that are a little beat up always make a good choice for a car or truck.
Old August 26, 2005, 08:16 PM   #19
kymasabe

more truck gun info.

While I do appreciate the infor on the 30-30's and 870's, I think I'll stick to a handgun. I do have my CCW permit and was looking for something to leave in the truck. It's not a pick-up, it's a box-truck. cargo van cab-only in front, 10 foot box in back. Because of the cab cutaway and design, there are alot of places to hide a handgun out of view without actually leaving it in a glovebox. As I'm a plumber and am sometimes called to some nasty places, would be nice to know I have some protection in the truck if I need it. An automatic would be nice as I could hae a spare mag tucked away too just in case. So, thanks with the long-guns but no thanks...handguns only.
Old August 26, 2005, 09:21 PM   #20
lee n. field

Quote:
For autos I'm thinking Mak
Yes.
Old August 26, 2005, 09:33 PM   #21
308Enfield

Since you already entioned hi-point, if a long gun is a possilbe option I'd recommend looking at a hi-point carbine in either 9mm or .40. They're inexpensive, good, fun shooters, and an all-around nice weapon if you don't mind them being ugly. I picked one of the 9mm models up shortly after they first came out and have really enjoyed it.
Old August 27, 2005, 02:05 AM   #22
R1145

Revolver is best

Revolvers tolerate neglect better than auto, and if it ever got ripped off, it wouldn't make you cry.

I'd get a used stainless Smith/Ruger, 4" .357. Put it in a "safe-packer", or something, with a couple of speed loaders. 125gr. JHPs.
Old August 27, 2005, 12:46 PM   #23
XDoctor

What about an AK? You can usually find one in the paper or a pawn shop for 200-250. They have good magazine capacity, decent accuracy and they're just about as reliable as they can be.

Personally, my 'Truck gun' (mine is acutally a Honda gun) is a 12ga Coach gun.
Old August 27, 2005, 01:11 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

A used Ruger P series pistol wouldn't be a bad choice.
Old August 27, 2005, 02:26 PM   #25
Slip Shooter

I purchased a Colt .38 Special Trooper (original style 1964) at a pawn shop a couple of weeks ago because it caught my eye. It's a fine weapon but, I had no real need for it until I placed it in the arm rest of my pick-up. Suddenly I had the ideal vehicle carry plus two speed loaders, all stoked with Remington's 125 grain +P Golden Saber .38 Specials at a chronographed 978 fps.

This .38 Special seems for me to be the ideal platform for vehicle carry. Not overly Loud, as in a .357, plenty of punch for close encounters and handles well. It even appears to be .357 size.

NRA Benefactor Member.