The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Skeetin'870

AA supersport problems

Has any one else senn that in 20ga AA supersports that they fail to feed out of the magazine specfically 870's. I had never had a load problem with any of my regular AA's. Has any one else experienced this prblem because i dont like taking apart my magazine tube when I am shooting.
Thanks for the advice,
Skeetin'870
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old June 12, 2005, 10:47 PM   #2
Big Yac

I assume you are reloading these shells? If so, what reloader are you using? I ask because atleast on my MEC 650 and I believe all the newer ones have it but the last crimp station puts an inward taper on the crimp to help feeding of the shell in pump and automatic shotguns. Some older reloaders dont have this feature.
Old June 13, 2005, 08:18 AM   #3
Skeetin'870

I use a mec reloader that was is grandfathers and yes I do believe it has this feature because we get the same quality of crimps in my reloader as a friends brand new mec.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old June 13, 2005, 08:37 AM   #4
sm

Recall one adjusts the cam to determine crimp.

Crimps can and will vary amongst different brands of hulls, how hulls are made, number of times reloaded, quality of plastic, components such as powder, wad and shot size.

Take a look at the MEC manual, or get one from them. It will show what to do if "hole" in center, not "deep enough" , "swirls" and other common problems.

I've shot hundreds of thousands of the Old compression formed plastic AA hulls, some reloaded as many as 20 times. This "new" AA ain't in the same league, the plastic or the "brass".

I think I'd rather put up with reloading the Paper Hulls such as AA or Peters than this 'new' hull. I ain't happy with what Winchester did.

I wrote Jordan a note about this. I live an hour away from the Big Green plant. I never used [ rarely] Big Green all these years. I now recommend the Big Green over the AA.

Heck the lavender( 12 bore) Fiocchi is a better hull up to about 8- 10 reloads.
Old June 13, 2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Big Yac

look on the Winchester website, it shows how to set up your reloader for the new style AA hulls. Could you maybe change your shells? Remington shells reload better than the new AA's. The STS and Gun cLub are great hulls.
Old June 14, 2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Skeetin'870

Yes i never had a feed problem with my old black AA hulls but the new ones I only have problems with the supersport version.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through