The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 24, 2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Bill Akins

Finally got the 1866 Remy revolving carbine I've been wanting.

Just sent the money order off yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive. Here's the link.....
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=352460020

Then the only other BP revolver I don't have already that I'd like to get is that stainless Rogers & Spencer.

But then again I also like the little 1862 police with its fluted cylinder.
Then I wouldn't mind getting a good deal on a beater Walker so I could modify it with a dragoon loading lever and catch.
I wouldn't mind a good deal on a BP double barrel coach gun.

Oh I give up. The addiction never ends.

Someone once told me, "The way I'm living is killing me, but I love the way I'm dying". Lol.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 26, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old July 24, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Hawg

Made me go HUH when I read this in the description. "Uberti 1873 Cattleman Revolver Carbine .Built on same frame as the original 1858 New Army".

Looks good.
Old July 24, 2013, 06:34 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Congrats Bill! That looks like a nice one and we will all be awaiting your thoughts on it after it arrives!

Sounds to me like you need to get your "wish list" in order. But then again, it would be a lot more fun to take index cards, write your desire on them and then just shuffle 'em to see what you're gonna get next.

I had a .62 pocket police at one time - a neat little revolver. For some reason, I have a hankering for a pocket navy on the smaller frame. I'd also like a '49 but don't know if that thought is just a passing fancy or whether I'd shoot it a lot.

Personally I've never liked "shiny guns" (stainless or plated) but I know a lot of folks do. I have a Euroarms Rogers and Spencer (blued). Over the years, I've had the opportunity to handle and look at a number of originals so when I had the opportunity to pick one up, I did. It was "used" but never shot, new in the box and never out of the original wrapper. I bought it, or should say, stole it, sight unseen and it just proved that there are a lot of good C & Bs out there that can be bought reasonably. I wasn't sure how much I'd like it but after shooting it, I find it's a really nice revolver - no regrets in regards to buying it!

Glad you finally snagged your rifle you wanted . . looks like it will be a lot of fun!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 24, 2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Congrats Bill. Looking forward to the road test report.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 24, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thankfully the Rem Carbine doesn't have a forearm. At least one Berdan Sharp Shooter lost some digits because of chain fires with the Colt Root Rifle.
Old July 25, 2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Congrats Bill

I had been wondering if the process came to a positive end.

Looks like a real good price.
Old July 25, 2013, 08:16 AM   #7
wap41

Bill

I'm sure you will like it .I bought two last winter and was supprized at how accurate they are.You might not like to hear it but there is no cure for the blackpowder addiction. So you might as well just keep buying and enjoy it.
Old July 27, 2013, 10:42 PM   #8
noelf2

Awesome Bill. I know you've been looking for one of those for a while now. Got mine a couple years ago and enjoy it much. Interesting that this uberti has markings on the side flat of the barrel. Mine has all text under the loading lever. That has a very nice stock as well!
Old August 5, 2013, 05:53 AM   #9
Bill Akins

I won another one on Friday, so as soon as it comes in I'll have two of them. Thought it was a good investment.
Here's the pics of the one that arrived on Saturday. Already posted these pics in another thread where I was talking about making one of these semi auto (if possible), but to finish off this thread thought I should post them here too.

With and without the conversion cylinder installed in it.

and one from the auction.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; August 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM.