The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Martowski

Kahr T9: What Role Does It Fill?

I like the looks of the Kahr T9. It appears to be a sleek, simple and clean semi. However, I'm struggling with what role it fills... especially since it's typically selling for over $600. It seems like there's better choices for a carry gun (which is irrelevant to me, but just sayin') and better choices for a range gun. As well, seems like other pistols might fit the bill better for a house gun.

So, what does the T9 do that others don't? I'm not bashing it, but rather trying to determine if there's a practical application this pistol can deliver that my others don't.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Stooge

I don't see any use for one. It's too large to be a pocket gun. It's more of a midsize. And there are better midsize guns, at lower prices. The only real advantage it has, being a single stack, is that it's very slim and a good deal lighter than a higher capacity midsize.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:07 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

There's one with Novaks listed on armslist.com in Illinois from Friday March 9th... 200 rds... Asking $660.

The seller is saying they only produce about 100 T9's per year... sounds about right to me.

I like all the Kahrs... The T9 is an interesting rare bird... I wouldn't mind having one!

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-T9.asp

Last edited by CWKahrFan; March 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:25 PM   #4
KyJim

Those with small hands might be attracted to the pistol since it is single stack. For them (us?), I suppose it might fit the range/home defense pistol that could be carried with the right clothing. Maybe not the "ideal" pistol for any of these specific tasks. For some, the four inch barrel/slide may balance better than a longer barrel.
Old March 12, 2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Martowski

Yeah, it looks like a nice pistol and I love the looks. Again, sleek, uncomplicated, clean, and the wood grips really set it off. Unfortunately I'll probably not just "run into" one at random. But for some reason I can't seem to stop coming back and looking at these online.
Old March 13, 2012, 01:07 AM   #6
CWKahrFan

Yo, Martowski... Your blog is VERY nice! I enjoyed my time there a lot.

FWIW, I've spent a lot of time on handgun forums and I've noticed that owners of the metal Kahrs generally speak of them in endearing terms and seem to hang on to them forever.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; March 13, 2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old March 13, 2012, 04:48 AM   #7
Rugerismisticness

Ah, the T9 has been mentioned more and more here. I think the T9 is as full sized as it gets for Kahr without leaving the ccw spectrum. I think the idea has potential, but not now. It needs a double stack mag, quarter inch longer barrel (just to proportion things out, it looks odd as it is), and some sort of SA trigger and a redesigned trigger guard for some success.
Old March 13, 2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Cycrops

I bought one for my wife last month, she really likes it. For us it's a range and home defense gun.

I think of it as the love-child of a Glock and a 1911. You don't necessarily get all of the best parts of each, but it's exactly what we wanted:
- The stainless finish and wood grips make it pretty.
- The striker fired design makes it simple and easy to operate.
- The steel frame and overall size (not too small, but not too heavy either) make it manageable to shoot.
- The single stack mag gives it a comfy grip for small hands.

When looking for a smaller gun that's easy to shoot but has enough punch to do home defense duty, I didn't find much out there. This thing is like Goldilocks It's not perfect for everyone, but it's just right for us.

Old March 13, 2012, 07:09 AM   #9
PSP

The T9 is still a fairly compact pistol. If you like the HK P7 then the T9 should be attractive too. These two guns are very similar in many ways; same weight, same barrel length, slim and concealable, simple to use, simple takedown, nice trigger, polygonal barrel and 8+1 capacity.

Much as I like the T9, my personal Kahr favorite is the TP9. Same gun but with a lighter frame. The T series feels really good in my hand. The full grip and longer sight line are all more appealing to me. I like the bigger Kahrs more than the tiny one, but that's just me.
Old March 13, 2012, 07:22 AM   #10
hoytinak

Quote:
Much as I like the T9, my personal Kahr favorite is the TP9.
I had no idea Kahr made a TP til I saw this! I always just thought they made the a metal T made and wondered why they didn't make a TP......now I gotta look into one. Thanks.....
Old March 13, 2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Madcap_Magician

I think it's more for those of us who wanted something similar to the P7 or 9mm Commander in size and weight. It's a pretty gun, too. Personally I'm torn between the K9 and the T9, though, since you don't lose much velocity in 9mm from 4" to 3.5" barrels, and the K9 still allows a full grip on the gun for a loss of one round and the gain of some concealability.
Old March 13, 2012, 08:45 AM   #12
PSP

Here's a family photo of my four favorite Kahrs, The larger T series T9 and TP9, and the mid sized K series K9 and P9. All are compact enough and slim enough for easy concealment.
Old March 13, 2012, 09:33 AM   #13
seeker_two

Same niche once held by the S&W3953 & SIG P239DAO....slim-grip, DAO 9mm that is easier for smaller hands to shoot & control...a niche that is growing as more females enter the gun owners club....
Old March 13, 2012, 10:56 AM   #14
Fishbed77

I own a Kahr CM9 and it's a great subcompact 9mm. However, when looking for a single stack the size of the T9, I'd be looking at the Walther PPS instead, for many reasons.
Old March 13, 2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Martowski

Interesting points, thanks for the great pics and experiences from you Kahr owners.

CWKahrFan: thanks! The blog is a little side project I thought I'd start just for the fun of it. I'm not an expert by any means, but do enjoy the hobby enough that I felt I might be able to provide some useful information to others from time to time.

Cycrops: I believe it was one of your posts that actually drove my awareness of the T9. Didn't pick up until now that you're a fellow Illinoisan as well. If you don't mind, are you up north or downstate?
Old March 13, 2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Venom1956

I personally think its made because its a nice gun. It isn't intended to be carried, but it CAN be. It isn't a range gun but it CAN be. its superbly made (at least on the outside) IMHO very pretty considering I dislike stainless guns. Its slim and very comfortable to hold, Also its weight takes the 9mm down to very manageable recoil. Perfect for new/smaller shooters.

My lady loves the heft of a 1911 and doesn't mind the recoil of .45 but she can't shoot multiple shots very quickly. Now give her a Polymer SR9 or my friends Glock she doesn't like the double stack feels or how the poly frames recoil. I want her to have a centerfire gun she loves to shoot, can get better with, and enjoy shooting with me. Also her having a larger T9 she can shoot with her is alot better then a gun she doesn't like or shoot well.

So combine the two guns and bam. Simple Glockish controls, 9mm, single stack, all steel.

The Kahr T9! (I also secretly wanted it myself but Ssshhh!)
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 13, 2012, 01:28 PM   #17
Martowski

It just occurred to me that Kahr Arms is an exhibitor at the NRA Annual Convention, which I'll be going to this year. So I may get a chance to put my hands on the T9 and see how it feels after all.

Seems like a neat little 9mm that could do a lot of things well. Capacity isn't a big concern with me; I'm well past the phase in life where I see value in stuffing as many rounds as possible in the grip. If 8+1 isn't sufficient for any need then I'm likely in bigger trouble than a pistol could handle.
Old March 16, 2012, 01:33 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

I generally agree with PSP.

I have one.
I have been asking myself the same question since I started carrying my Glock.
The T9 fits my hand well, which apparently means I have small girly hands.

I will say it is more accurate than any centerfire pistol I have shot even close to it's price. I have seen shot a few high dollar 1911s that were more accurate, but at least double the price.
Before I shot it I thought all the guns I was shooting were not holding me back. The first range session I realized I was VERY wrong.
For DAO the trigger is VERY VERY nice.
The fit and finish is excellent.
I'd rather carry my 9mm G27 for capacity and smaller, even if fatter.
For a range/target gun I would rather something with a target oriented trigger.
I have a sweet custom crossdraw holster and it looks great in that rig(super comfy carrying in the car also).

I have one I am very willing to sell, but not for anything close to what anyone is willing to pay.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 16, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old March 19, 2012, 11:01 PM   #19
Martowski

Thanks. As clean, sharp, and elegant as the T9 appears, I think I've come to the conclusion that it's probably not going to join my collection anytime soon. However, if my wonderful state ever does pass concealed carry, I see a CW9 in my future. Thanks Kahr drivers!
Old March 20, 2012, 08:21 AM   #20
johnwilliamson062

Kahr Arms CS was great when I called them. I bet if you call and tell them you are considering the purchase and hope you can get your hands on a T9 at the NRA convention one will be there.

You can buy them used LNIB at around $500, and I would buy one at that without thinking twice. The NIB price I would likely not repeat.
Old March 20, 2012, 08:47 AM   #21
Martowski

Good point. I just sent them an e-mail indicating that I'd appreciate if their show line-up at the NRA convention includes a T9 as I'm considering a purchase but can't seem to find one in my area to handle. Thanks!
Old March 20, 2012, 08:51 AM   #22
Officer's Match

Another way to look at the T9 is think of it as a modern replacement for a 4" DA revolver. Yes, of course I know the +'s and -'s of actual wheelguns, but as far as throwing lead, the Kahr has a trigger like a really well tuned DA revolver (or even a bit lighter), carrys a bit more payload, and is faster to reload (assuming extra mag's at hand).

Frankly, as a longtime 1911 carrier, I see the T9 as very CCW-able.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:20 AM   #23
Martowski

That's an interesting perspective. Good point.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:19 PM   #24
kflo01

Stunning gun. Actually would be my next 9mm if I ever sold my SP2022.

Next 9mm for me on my list if I move from the Sig are

1) Kahr T9
2) FN FNX 9mm

T9 is one of the best looking guns I have seen.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:06 AM   #25
kahrguy

My carry pistols have been a cm9 and cw9. I like the simple funtion of the kahr line and bought one of the larger poly versions. TP40 as My house pistol is a 40. You owners that have smaller version would not believe how nice a shooter these larger models are. Nothing new to learn like when changing brands. Still thin and easy to conceal .

For some odd reason the TP atleast sells for less money than the comparible models with the upgrades of the "better" kahrs.

I have shot a T40 and it is a even sweeter shooting pistol.