The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2012, 08:39 PM   #1
HShack

Range finders...........

I have a Leupold R500 {I think]. Works great out to about 250 yards. Beyond that, I can't seem to hold the little crosshair on the target and push the button to get the range. I tried leaning against a tree but no dice. Just can't keep it on target long enough to aquire the range.

I see on some of these TV hunting shows a guy just aims it with one hand, pushes the button and says "Yep, that sheep is 980 yards".

If you spend over $1,000 for one, does it make ranging at long distance easier?
Old August 26, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
big al hunter

I have similar problems with mine. The target has to be reflective enough ( don't think deer or elk are very reflective). I range to a tree or something close to the animal when it won't pick them up. I bet the tv guys are doing that too. They seem to stage a large portion of the shot scenes. Maybe it's just me, but the animals I hunt don't wait for me to get set up, range, adjust my hat, talk to my buddy, measure the rack, decide if the animal IS the biggest deer around. Not all of them are that way but some take it over the top.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Rembrandt

Cost a little more but they're worth every penny. 8X Swarovski's will go 1600+ yards and do it quite accurately. That could be what the TV show guys are using.

Old August 26, 2012, 09:53 PM   #4
kraigwy

I'm sick of rangefinders that give you the range they advertise.

I've had a lot of them, spent a lot of money.

Last June I was a RO for the SH Challenge. We got to talking about range finders and a guy told me about the Vectronix Terrapin. It's was suppose to read 2500. Guy told me it would go further then that.

So we took it out side and I was ranging brush on a hill side in excess of 3400 yards, not just once, but constantly.

It cost about 2 grand. Heck I have more then that in the one's I have that don't work. Its next on my "to buy" list.

http://www.eurooptic.com/vectronix-t...lrf-brown.aspx
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071