The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 12, 2008, 05:59 AM   #1
Anthony C.

AR-47 question

So I'm getting an AR lower modified to accept AK-47 magazines, locking them in place in the same way as an AK-47. The 16" Model 1 Sales upper in 7.62x39mm I'm getting for it needs to have metal shaved away in the upper reciever so that the AK mags can fit. If I were to accomplish this task at home with tools, how would I accomplish the task--or is that out of the question for this guy?
Specifically, what tools...

Also, I'm aware the bolt carrier needs to be modified to clear the lips of the AK magazine unless I get the bolt carrier for 7.62x39mm made by MGI Military.

Worst case, there is a shop I can go through who can perform the task.
Thanks in advance for any help...
Old November 12, 2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Kortik

Why do you want to go thru all these complications to shoot 7.62x39 and use AK mags? AR was not really designed for this cartridge and magazine. Just buy AK,
preferably Bulgarian or Russian and enjoy the original.
Old November 13, 2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Anthony C.

Why on an AR platform?

1) there is a sturdy mounting solution for an optic with 3 inch eye relief. not only that, but the rifle's already configured this way.

2) i want an AR, not an AK...but .223Rem isn't lethal enough to ethically hunt medium sized game with out of a semi-auto, and 6.8mm SPC is both expensive and may not remain a cartridge of the US military...which would make it even harder to aquire and at higher price.

3) if i were to get an AK, the only one accurate enough to take realistic ethical shots on game is the VEPR line of AKs, getting sub 2 inch groups at 100 yards based on the targets I've seen at Robinson Armament Co's website. the buttstock is ugly as sin. that can be fixed by getting into an ACE buttstock...okay. the handguard is also hideous though, and there is no available option to change it at operator level.

I'm looking for a rifle with a cartridge big enough to hunt game with, in an environment where i can only see up to 200 meters max. i'd also like the rifle to be of semi-automatic nature, accepting of high capacity magazines...with as little muzzle rise as possible--a battle rifle in a caliber big enough to hunt with.

The AR-47 does a good job of solving this. The accuracy of an AR in a lethal close range cartridge. And having one that accepts AK mags makes the magazine search easy considering it's one of the 2 most common mags in America and "the" most common magazine in the world.

I didn't think I needed to add my criteria for choosing the rifle in order to ask a question about what tool to use to shave off some metal...
Old November 13, 2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Kortik

Hey, your wishes are your wishes, I respect that.

In regard to tools - I do not know how much metal needs to be "shaved", and what are accuracy requirements fro such modification. It makes it difficult to recommend any specifc tool. However, if you want it done right and pretty, it's always better to use machine tools - lathe, mill, etc...

I think using machine shop to perform these mods is good idea.
Old November 13, 2008, 02:40 PM   #5
CowTowner

While I respect your desires to have easy to acquire magazines, there are alternatives. Midway USA shows 3 different mags for the AR in 7.62x39mm.
True, they aren't easy to get. But I'm sure there are other sources.
Part of the beauty of the AR style rifle is the simple detachable magazine. I am looking to build one of these myself. But keep the AR style magazine.
I wish you good luck in setting yours up the way you want it.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old November 14, 2008, 07:06 PM   #6
radom

Due to the locking system, the curve and mag shape my guess is you will just be wrecking a lower. I am thinking that the front in the locking pin area would have to be cut making a weak area very weak or even incapable to taking the locking pin.
Old November 14, 2008, 07:26 PM   #7
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
While I respect your desires to have easy to acquire magazines, there are alternatives. Midway USA shows 3 different mags for the AR in 7.62x39mm.
i dont respect his desire, i just dont have the power to change it.... so i'll have to deal with it

hacking your lower to accept rocker mags from an ak is a HORRIBLE idea
please, just get the 7.62 mags for the ar
Old November 14, 2008, 09:06 PM   #8
rixret

I've got to agree with the "Nice Guy". Not to wizz in your Cherrios here. You asked for advice and most everyone is here to help. We all sometimes only want to hear what we want to hear. Your idea is a bad idea. If you want to shoot 7.62, you should buy a unit designed for that. Making radical modifications is risky, not only to the weapon but to the body as well and not just you, but possibly to others nearby as well. I'm no expert, but I do try to use common sense most of the time. Good Luck, sincerely.
Old November 22, 2008, 04:23 AM   #9
AutoPistola

I'd like an AR-47 too, but these guys have a point. Spend the extra $+time buying dedicated 7.62x39 AR mags, like C-mags. You'll be saving yourself frustration, labor, and possibly a bolt carrier and/or lower reciever.

It's kind of like modifying an SKS to take AK mags; you'd have to remove metal at critically beefy points. We must assume those points are beefed-up for a reason and it is better not to make irreversable changes.