The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2009, 08:15 PM   #1
njmonster

Need assistance regarding shotgun ownership and transport

I live in NJ and I inherited a shot gun from a relative in Florida. I do not have a shot gun license and need to go to Florida to bring it back to NJ via plane.
I was told that I need to get a special case to bring the shotgun back on the plane with me. Can someone please tell what I need to do to get this done done? ex. need a license before I can even transport into NJ...etc
Old September 24, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
murphyboy88

well i can say that NJ has some messed up laws.. i live in montanaand ive never heard of anything like that.... here if you need a gun shipped you need to either have a FFL(federal firearms liscense) so the gun can be shipped to you or have someone send it through a gunstore or sporting goods store , from there it will be sent to a store in your area where you pick it up for 50 bucks or so... i would ask some one at a gunstore or possibly law enforcement... i hope this helped and if not im sorry i know what it feels like not being able to get a gun because of complications
Old September 25, 2009, 12:05 AM   #3
LanceOregon

No, no, no, what you need to do is to have a FFL in Florida ship the shotgun to a local gun store. You can then have the gun store transfer the shotgun to you just the same way as if you were buying a shotgun from him.

That way you make sure that all NJ gun laws are obey.

--
Old September 25, 2009, 08:58 AM   #4
ebutler462

The NJ FFL will probably charge you $15-25 for the paperwork. The USPS shipping will run about $20. You can ship it yourself from any post office. No need to have a FL dealer involved. The post office will ship it for you. I use the USPS for all my shipments. However, the gun must go to a FFL in NJ.