The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 6, 2018, 12:10 AM   #51
disseminator

Quote:
It's a bit funny the direction this thread went in,
Just wanted to say i would never let some one inexperienced shoot something like a 460.
I'll probably buy the s&w 460 with the 8 3/8" barrel and buy a box of 360 gr Buffalo bore loads. If needed i heard that you can remove the compensator from the revolver to make it kick more, might even buy a pair of wood grips.

And if i'm making a mistake, these guns seem to keep their value on the used market so that is good.
You won't regret the 460 XVR, I guaranty it.

I have some 400 grain WFNGC doing around 1650 ish that shoot really nice. Recoil is characteristic of the 45 caliber: soft but firm.

I let my adult daughter shoot the 460 at the range, people looked at us like it was the end of the world but they didn't know I had loaded the gun with 45 Colt loads and it recoils like a 22 with those.

Old January 13, 2018, 04:23 PM   #52
Dieselhorses

Flexibility

I, personally, like "flexibility". Like "Disseminator" said, If you want a revolver with "punch, range, effectiveness" and one of those "make my day" wheel guns, yes, the .460 S&W would be a taker! .460, .454 Casull and .45 LC are all rounds you can shoot with many options to reload. My 500 is at the mercy of one caliber BUT I still have many options with the loads.

I've always purchased my ammo or had ammo on hand BEFORE I bought what it went in. I always familiarized myself with the "specifics" of certain ammo before spending hundreds or even thousands.

Tags
460 , magnum research , recoil , smith and wesson , thompson center encore