The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old June 29, 2016, 01:02 PM   #1
noelf2

Problem with 45 Dragoon

Well, I don't like to do this, and I'll probably take a lot of heat from folks because the goon (www.goonsgunworks.com) is a well respected and much talked about person on several black powder forums. I'm going to give the first (that I know of) negative review for the goon. Not that I'm aware of him doing bad work, but I'm very disappointed in the turn around time that he claims versus ground truth. He's had my Uberti 1860 Army since February. It didn't have issues, just wanted it to be the best it could be (made in 2014 and hardly shot). At that time he said it would take about 4 weeks. After 6 weeks I got concerned because I was going on vacation early in May, and didn't want him to send my gun back to me while I was away. I asked him to wait to send it back until after the first week in May if he finished it up. I even told him that mine could be delayed if he had others that were in a hurry (probably my biggest mistake, but he was trying to finish up a batch of guns that had issues and I was sympathetic). He seemed confident that he'd get it back to me after the first week in May. Coming up to the end of May, I called him up again. I had a shoot planned with some friends on June 6th, and was wondering if I'd get it back by then. Mike said he should have no problem getting it to me. I think it was the 3rd of June when I called him again, and it wasn't ready (he seemed to have forgotten about it). I said no problem, I have my remmy's to shoot (but I was disappointed). He told me he should have it to me that week. I called a couple more times since then and I always hear the same thing "should wrap it up this weekend", and that he'll give me a call, but I don't get a call, and it never happens. My thoughts are that Mike's priorities don't align well with his commitments. All of our conversations are friendly, but ultimately he steers them to the research and development he's doing with Ruger Old Army revolvers, and cartridge conversions for them that he has recently perfected (the priorities/commitments thing). Mike is a hell of a nice guy, and my bet is that he's just as good with slicking up single action revolvers as everyone says. Just wanted to let folks know that they need to prepare to wait. In my case, I would have waited and sent him the gun in the late fall / early winter if I knew it would take so long. I understand a gunsmith's workload, and that repair of a couple unexpected messed up guns can delay things a bit. Many of you know how long I had a muzzle loader double 410 shotgun at a smithy and recently got it back (after 1 year). His backlog was 6 to 12 months, and said so up front. Not a problem because I knew what to expect. I just don't know what to expect with Mike anymore. Could be he's finding that turning a favorite hobby into a full time job just takes the wind out of the sails for him. Anyway, I don't think I'll be sending any more guns, and will not recommend his business to my friends.

See the last post on this thread from back at the end of April. That's 8 weeks ago: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ght=goonerized

Last edited by noelf2; June 29, 2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old July 9, 2016, 10:01 AM   #2
noelf2

I wanted to update. Mike has had a hard time with family emergencies which have taken up a lot of his time. I'm sure that would occupy a lot of my time as well. He has been communicating with me and assures me that my gun will be done soon. Should be sending it to me on Monday.