The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2018, 02:48 PM   #1
PAJoe1022

Glock 19 or Ruger Security 9?

I'm considering purchasing my first pistol and I've narrowed myself down to the Glock 19 Gen 4 or the Ruger Security 9.

I'm looking for a good quality, all-around gun that isn't too expensive. I want something to take to the range and practice with that will be durable and reliable. I've held and field stripped both guns at the LGS, but haven't shot either. So far here is my take-

The Glock 19 felt cheaper than the Ruger. It was lighter (almost 3 oz) and the trigger felt toy-like. The Glock grip angle didn't bother me, but the texture on the grip did. I don't like that the Glock lacks a manual safety, but how much does this matter for a gun that is only used at the range? Both have 4 inch barrels, so I would think accuracy should be similar. The Ruger is hammer fired and the Glock is obviously striker fired. I'm a newbie; does this make a huge difference? Aesthetically (as if aesthetics matter), I'm probably in the minority of people who like the look of Glocks, but the Ruger is a nice looking gun too. I like that the 19 has been around a while, has an established following and lots of aftermarket support, whereas the Ruger not so much. I'd like to have the ability to customize if I decide to. As for price, the Glock cost over $200 more than the Ruger. Is it worth the extra money?
Old September 10, 2018, 03:06 PM   #2
Chainsaw.

A couple of things to keep in mind.
#1 they are all just bullet launchers.
#2 none of them are so valuable that you cant trade up later, which you will do.

In my opinion get the glock. It is more expensive but it will also be down the line, IE resale value. Plus you can get part for glocks for days. That Ruger probably isnt gonna be made for very long and the support for it will dry up as well.

Glock triggers suck. Do the $.25 trigger job and learn to shoot it. I compete against 3000 dollar 1911s with glass rod trigger all the time and am right in the pack. As my signature line says....
Old September 10, 2018, 03:56 PM   #3
JDBerg

https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-c...l#.W5bYneNMGaM

When buying a first gun, it’s best not to overthink the process, continuous training and practice at the local gun range will yield much greater results and benefits than to spend a lot of time considering the relative merits of one gun vs. the other if you do not first learn safe and effective use of a firearm.

IMHO this Walther Creed at $269.99 per the link represents the single best value in a new semiauto that I know of anyway. This gun will hit a target quite nicely
Old September 10, 2018, 04:29 PM   #4
xandi

Go Glock, it’s going no where mags are cheap, holsters are every where.

Or course the ruger and a s&w sd9ve(it’s just like the g19) would only be like 70 more
Old September 10, 2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Jacket67

Of your picks, I'd get the Glock. I am not a Glock fanboy (I don't even own one), however they are great guns and serve a lot of my buddies well. If that's the option you want, but want it a bit cheaper, look into some of the older generations. I personally like the gen 3 Glocks and there are plenty of new ones floating around the gun shops. They also have a different grip texture than the gen 4 you held so you might actually prefer it.

Inserting my own personal opinion, I'd opt for a 2nd gen M&P. They are easily found with manual safeties, tend to be cheaper than Glocks, and their customer service is fantastic (speaking from personal experience). They're reliable, holsters and spare mags are readily available, and they come with good metal 3 dot sights. Admittedly, I have not seen the 2.0 compact with a manual safety (that's S&W's direct competitor to the g19), but I know the full size can be readily found with them. Just a tad bit bigger than a g19 though. For your interest, it would be worth looking into whether the M&P 2.0 compact can be found with a safety.
Old September 10, 2018, 04:58 PM   #6
Ben Dover

From my experience with owning 4 different Glocks, I'd say Glock, no question.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 10, 2018, 05:13 PM   #7
Wishoot

As much as I like Ruger (and I own many Rugers), I would opt for Glock in this case. I like Glocks for:

- Parts and accessory availability.
- Reliability.
- Easy to work on.
- They retain their value.

I love my Rugers, but Glock gets the job done with boring reliability and accuracy.
Old September 10, 2018, 05:46 PM   #8
dogtown tom

PAJoe1022

Quote:
The Glock 19 felt cheaper than the Ruger. It was lighter (almost 3 oz) and the trigger felt toy-like. The Glock grip angle didn't bother me, but the texture on the grip did.
Then why Gen4? The Gen3 texture is less aggressive.

Quote:
I don't like that the Glock lacks a manual safety, but how much does this matter for a gun that is only used at the range?
Keep your booger hook off the trigger until you are ready to fire.....is good advice on any firearm. It doesn't matter that the gun is intended for range use only. The same principles of safety apply.

Quote:
Both have 4 inch barrels, so I would think accuracy should be similar.
Barrel length doesn't make a gun more accurate, it merely increases the sight radius aiding in accuracy. In other words a 4"bbl pistol may be more accurate than a 6"bbl due to other factors that affect accuracy.....such as trigger pull or ammunition.

Quote:
The Ruger is hammer fired and the Glock is obviously striker fired. I'm a newbie; does this make a huge difference?
No.

Quote:
Aesthetically (as if aesthetics matter), I'm probably in the minority of people who like the look of Glocks, but the Ruger is a nice looking gun too. I like that the 19 has been around a while, has an established following and lots of aftermarket support, whereas the Ruger not so much. I'd like to have the ability to customize if I decide to.
There is a reason the G19 is one of the most popular handguns.

Quote:
As for price, the Glock cost over $200 more than the Ruger. Is it worth the extra money?
I think so.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 10, 2018, 06:14 PM   #9
PAJoe1022

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the Glock is the overwhelming favorite here. As for the Walther Creed, I did hold one, and the grip is really steeply arched in the back and I couldn't get a comfortable grip on it. That generally wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it doesn't accept different backstraps.

I'm not entirely opposed to going with a S&W, but Ruger and Glock are the two brands I've always sorta liked, so if this is to be my first pistol (and probably only pistol for a while) I'd like to go with one of the two.

One other option I didn't think of is the Ruger SR9. My uncle owns one that I've shot quite a bit, and I liked it okay, just haven't actually considered buying one. Any thoughts?
Old September 10, 2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Model12Win

GLOCK.

I'm looking at the Model 17 as we speak.
Old September 10, 2018, 06:25 PM   #11
PAJoe1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
PAJoe1022

Then why Gen4? The Gen3 texture is less aggressive.
I've had a hard time finding Gen 3s locally. I wouldn't be opposed to a gen 3, but aren't they the ones that tend to eject shells toward your head?

Quote:

Keep your booger hook off the trigger until you are ready to fire.....is good advice on any firearm. It doesn't matter that the gun is intended for range use only. The same principles of safety apply.
I agree, still a manual safety is something I value, if only for peace of mind.

Quote:
No.

Good to know, again I'm relatively new to firearms, so please pardon any ignorance on my part.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old September 10, 2018, 06:27 PM   #12
kenny53

I have to go Glock. I bought my Glock 19 20 years ago and have never had a problem. As for a manual safety none of my hand guns (except the 1911) have safeties. It is no different then carrying a double action revolver. If you don't pull the trigger it doesn't go bang.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:02 PM   #13
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJoe1022
I've had a hard time finding Gen 3s locally. I wouldn't be opposed to a gen 3, but aren't they the ones that tend to eject shells toward your head?
The changes made to create the Gen 4s resulted in some of the earlier ones having brass-to-the-face problems; Glock worked out those issues.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:07 PM   #14
Sharkbite

GLOCK

If the desire for a manual safety is huge, then a M&P is the way to go.

On a side note, ive switched entirely from Glock to the M&P line after carrying a Glock all over the world as an issued pistol. I just plain shoot the M&P better. YMMV
Old September 10, 2018, 09:29 PM   #15
K_Mac

As others have said Glock is a fine choice. Several years ago when making a similar decision I decided on the Ruger SR9c. I've never regretted the choice. I have many thousands of rounds through the Ruger with no issues. I would make the same decision today. I don't know about the Security 9, but the idea that it won't be supported by Ruger down the road is not something I would worry about.

Buy the one that fits your hand best and enjoy. Good luck.
Old September 10, 2018, 10:03 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Another vote for the Glock 19.

If the concern is cost, keep an eye out for a Gen 3 pistol (which solves your issue with the Gen 4 grip texture) on sale or used.
Old September 11, 2018, 09:21 AM   #17
Laz

I’m a huge Ruger fan but cast another vote for the Glock 19 in this case. If you want the safety for storage, some people find the little Saf-T-Blok to be simple and effective. It’s expensive for a little piece of plastic but not in real terms.
https://www.clipdraw.com/trigger-safety-for-glocks/

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old September 11, 2018, 09:10 PM   #18
kymasabe

I've tried both, and settled on an S&W SD9 instead.
Old September 12, 2018, 02:28 AM   #19
Carl the Floor Walker

I am a Ruger Fan, except for the Ruger LCP, and the Security 9 from every thing I have seen is a larger LCP in build quality. And if so, The Aluminum Chassis will not be a gun that will hold up for a lot of rounds down range. I do not believe Ruger intended for the Security 9 to be much of a Range gun. I am not a Glock Fan, but personally would choose the Glock over the Security 9 if since I shoot quite often.
I even think Ruger choose the Name "Security 9" for a reason. Simply a gun that will give night stand security for those that do not want to put out much money or like so many shooters, just do not go to the range but a few times a year.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; September 14, 2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old September 12, 2018, 05:12 AM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

Of those two, I'd go with the G19. That's the easy part. The hard part is narrowing it down to just two pistols in a very crowded field. Everybody and their dog makes a "mid-sized, 12-to-15 capacity, 9mm," and a lot of them seem to be pretty good guns.

I've liked Rugers for a very long time, but the Security 9 hasn't been on the market all that long. If I were in your shoes, looking for: (1) a jack-of-all-trades gun; (2) that has a thumb safety; (3) that I knew would be my only gun for a while; and (4) I was particularly fond of Ruger . . . . I'd look hard at the SR9 and the SR9c. It's been on the market quite a bit longer than the Security 9, has the interchangeable backstraps that you mentioned, and can be had with a thumb safety.

Given those parameters, the other pistol that I think deserves a hard look would be the SW M&P 2.0 Compact. It's one of the few pistols that really has me considering trading away my G19.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to get a Security 9 out with about a case of ammo and put it through its paces. However, if I were buying a pistol to be my one and only for a while, I'd want something that other shooters have wrung out first.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:07 AM   #21
smee78

Like it has already been said, G19. I like the G19 so much I have two of them. They really are a work horse and have support from the aftermarket forever.

My first pistol purchase was a used G19 gen2 and I have put thousands and thousands of rounds (don't know how many rounds were run through it before I got it) down the pipe and it still shoots great to this day.
Old September 14, 2018, 12:21 PM   #22
mr bolo

Get the Glock 19 or the Glock 17

these are military grade firearms in use by LE / Military all over the world

the G19 / G17 is a proven design, the British army uses the G17 as their service pistol

The RUGER is not military and is something that has a limited production for civilian sales, designed as an "economy priced" civilian handgun, it's a bargain, but If you want a real workhorse military / LE quality pistol, go with the Glock

Glocks are designed for NATO use, the Ruger isnt really designed for that kind of duty
Old September 14, 2018, 07:04 PM   #23
PAJoe1022

Well I think you guys have convinced me enough to stick with the Glock. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a gen 3. I'd like to buy new, but if the right deal comes along, I'll go with a used one. I just started a new job, so it'll probably be a month or two until I get a few paychecks that I make my purchase.
Old September 14, 2018, 07:10 PM   #24
BlackDuck

Why not go with a Gen 5? Bought a 19 Gen 5 back around April/May for maybe $30 more than the Gen 4.
Old September 14, 2018, 07:29 PM   #25
JN01

Take a piece of 600 or 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a small block of wood, and with a little pressure, you can easily take off the sharp points on a Glock grip if they are too aggressive for you. Or get a set of Traction Grip tapes for $9.