The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2001, 10:56 AM   #1
salukijoe

For large and dangerous game, hardcast slugs are the way to go but what about deer that run 200 lbs. and under? Would an XTP be a superior performer than a hardcast bullet for light, thin skinned game?
Old May 5, 2001, 04:29 PM   #2
Contender

Greetings,

It's actually a matter of preference Joe. I use hardcast on everything including deer. If you have a bullet design with a nice wide meplat, it will be fine for deer. I use the LBT designs mostly but a good flat faced Kieth design SWC will be good also. These bullets typically punch right on through, bleed out is fast and terminal effect is quite predictable. Some designs will leave a stunning wound channel and exit hole.

A jacketed HP will work fine also on these animals. They expand readily provided a good quality bullet is used. Some don't. Most will punch on through also within reasonable ranges.

I just use cast now for basically all my shooting and hunting and have never felt lacking for power or terminal performance.

For yuks, check the field performance page over at Beartooth's site. Especially the gent with the 45/70 deer. While your at it, check out the forum.

FWIW

Regards
Old May 5, 2001, 08:50 PM   #3
handgunhunting

how will full wad cutters work for a deer?
Old May 6, 2001, 02:15 PM   #4
Contender

HH,

They'll work but need to be seated out of the case somewhat. This will allow you more powder space and loading with a slower powder for increased velocity.

LBT has designs that are called an OWC (Ogival Wadcutter). The meplat diameter runs about 1/32" less than the nominal bullet diameter no matter what the caliber is. This gives a very slight ogive at the nose for easier loading and adds a measure of form stability. I have a mold for a 280 gr. OWC in .431 and a 175 gr. OWC in .358. The 280 gr. 44 is most impressive on deer. They are both gas check designs. These bullet designs can be loaded for both high and low velocity loadings with good very good accuracy.

The problem you may encounter with a full wadcutter is the lack of length from the lighter weights these come in for the bigger calibers. But, try to seat one out in say the 44 and give it a go. Pay attention to seating depth with load data and full wadcutters. Don't attempt to use data for a 180 gr. "normal" configuration bullet with a full wadcutter of the same weight unless it's seated out to be the same seating depths approximately. Also you won't find a wadcutter that is gas checked so this may limit your velocities somewhat to be free of leading.

Lastly, DO NOT USE HOLLOW BASE WADCUTTERS for these experiments.

Have fun!
Old May 6, 2001, 03:17 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Can't go wrong with the (heavier) XTP-HP's.

Hardcast from Beartooth and Cast Performance.

Absolute finest bullet: Swift A-Frame.
Old May 6, 2001, 03:21 PM   #6
handgunhunting

I was thinking about using 45 cal wadcutters in a 50 cal sabot for my t/c black powder barrel
Old May 6, 2001, 06:28 PM   #7
Contender

HH,

Sounds interesting but, I'd just use either a nice flat faced SWC cast bullet in your sabots or one of the LBT designs. Also in the heavier weights. On deer the performance and terminal ballistics would be fine.

I've shot the LBT 320 gr. WLN bullet in the old TC Break-o-way sabots out of a Scout 50 cal pistol with good results.

Regards