The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2017, 10:07 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

I REALLY Like This Colt 1911

Quite some time back on GB I bumped a bid $5.00 on a Colt O1992 1911 chambered in 9mm just to follow the auction and ended up winning the silly thing for what was, at the time, a pretty decent deal. I had to sell a gun to pay for it, but I sure don't regret it. I never got around to shooting it until today and boy oh boy is it a fun gun to shoot. I know there are those that truly believe that a 1911 should only be chambered in .45 acp, but we'll have to agree to disagree. Once I got about 50 rounds through it I was in the X-ring and 10-ring most of the time at 50 ft.
Lately, I've been thinking about selling the two other Colts I have that are chambered in .45 acp (the only two guns I have in .45 acp) and concentrating on 9mm just because it is cheaper to shoot, and after today I'm a little bit closer to doing just that. I'm to the point where I would like to get rid of half of the guns that I have and be able to shoot a little bit more. Having a bunch of firearms just doesn't seem to mean as much to me anymore, but getting to shoot more would sure mean a lot.
Old February 16, 2017, 10:11 PM   #2
Martowski

9mm 1911s are the bomb. I've had a few, first was an STI Spartan, then had a Springfield Loaded, and finally have my "keeper"... and Dan Wesson PM-9.
Old February 16, 2017, 10:53 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm not to the point of selling my .45 ACP Para-Ordnance just yet, but my favorite 1911 is an older Colt 9mm Combat Commander I bought from Gunbroker. Compared to a .45, the 9mm is almost like shooting a .22. Unfortunately, the poor 9mm Colt had a LOT of rounds through it before I bought it, and 1911Tuner pronounced the barrel link as beyond help, so I don't shoot it much. It's still my favorite 1911, though.
Old February 16, 2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Jim Watson

?
Links are cheap. Did he find some other fault to scare you off of fixing and using the gun?
Old February 17, 2017, 12:44 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
Links are cheap. Did he find some other fault to scare you off of fixing and using the gun?
The link isn't the problem. The hole in the lower lugs on the barrel (that the link is pinned to) is wallowed out. The pin is supposed to be a press fit -- it falls out if you're not very careful when field stripping the slide and barrel. It's far beyond the point where staking it would hold it.
Old February 17, 2017, 06:37 AM   #6
Remington74

Would it be worth it to you to just get a new barrel and get it up and running? I know some things get a lower priority but that might be a way to go to get that gun usable again. Just a thought.
Old February 17, 2017, 09:56 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not worth it to me -- having a quality replacement barrel fitted would basically double the cost of the pistol. It's still shootable, I just don't want to run a lot of rounds through it. I have another 1911 for plinking.
Old February 17, 2017, 12:17 PM   #8
RickB

I do like shooting mid-bore 1911s, mine's a .38 Super for which I load pretty weak, but if the gun weren't ideal for my shooting games, I doubt I'd have one.
I tend to like guns proportional to their power and/or capacity, and a mid-bore 1911 is a pretty darn big gun. I had my Super on the bench next to my new SIG P938, and the latter is absolutely tiny by comparison, and can still be loaded 7+1.
Old February 17, 2017, 04:38 PM   #9
Joe_Pike

Quote:
I tend to like guns proportional to their power and/or capacity
You mean like the Beretta 92FS or the 85F?

I've got a Sig P938 and really like it and enjoy shooting it too, but that Colt was a hoot.
Old February 18, 2017, 08:29 AM   #10
larryh1108

Quote:
Having a bunch of firearms just doesn't seem to mean as much to me anymore, but getting to shoot more would sure mean a lot.
I think this pretty much covers your feelings. This works for you. Others have opinions that work for them. Everybody has different needs and pocketbooks.
Old February 18, 2017, 08:37 AM   #11
tallball

I like having a lot of guns AND shooting them a lot. To each his own.

I agree about the 9mm 1911. I have them in 45acp, 40 S&W, 9mm, and 380acp (Colt Government Model). The 9mm is a hoot and probably the most fun of the bunch to take shooting.

In fact, I am about to log off and go to the range right now.

I'm not going to be shooting a 1911 today, but speaking of 45acp, I got a Tanfoglio CZ clone in 45acp recently and will be shooting it for the first time today.

9mm is fun, 45acp is fun, they're all good!
Old February 18, 2017, 12:03 PM   #12
osbornk

I have a full size RIA 1911 "Rock" in 9mm. It is the smoothest shooter I have ever had with mild recoil and great accuracy. Being a cheapskate who likes to shoot, I'm a fan of 9mm, 22 and 12 gauge since they are the cheapest ammo to buy in their category. My other calibers and gauges tend to sit around unused.
Old February 18, 2017, 12:29 PM   #13
BigJimP

I agree with you, in my opinion, a 1911 in 9mm is a great gun.

My personal primary 1911 in 9mm is a Wilson Combat Protector model that I've had for a little over 10 yrs now..and its also become my primary carry gun now.

I have 1911's in .45 acp as well....and I don't shoot them much anymore either ( although I'm not ready to get rid of them ), I am coming around to your approach in getting rid of some guns and have given about 15 guns away to my sons ( both in their late 30's now ) to start their collections as well. But at some point, I'll get rid of a few more and "thin the herd" especially since I'm in my late 60's now...
Old February 18, 2017, 08:02 PM   #14
Joe_Pike

Quote:
I am coming around to your approach in getting rid of some guns and have given about 15 guns away to my sons
If I had kids I would be doing exactly that. My mom passed away two weeks ago and this has kind of given me an urgency to thin the herd simply because my sister wouldn't have a clue on what to do with the guns that I still have.
Old February 18, 2017, 11:35 PM   #15
18DAI

I know what you mean. Ive been drooling over a new 9mm Colt Competition at Cherrys fine guns. I cant decide between it and the 5 inch Lightweight Government model he has.

But the Lightweight Government is a 45. Regards 18DAI
Old February 19, 2017, 01:54 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The link isn't the problem. The hole in the lower lugs on the barrel (that the link is pinned to) is wallowed out. The pin is supposed to be a press fit -- it falls out if you're not very careful when field stripping the slide and barrel. It's far beyond the point where staking it would hold it.
Use a bigger hammer!

I've seen guns where the link pin would fall out of its own weight, and many more where it was easily pushed out. Staking it is really just for convenience, it can't go anywhere in the gun, and the gun will run fine with a very loose fit pin.

However, if it bugs you, rather than replace the barrel (expensive) why not just have it redrilled and use an oversize pin? And stake that, if you want to.