The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 30, 2017, 11:26 AM   #1
Ramey

Odd injury.

Has anybody pulled a muscle working the action on a semi auto? I got a M&P Shield. Only shot about a hundred rounds thru it. Last week I'm making a video reviewing it. Well in the videos I pull the slide back a lot to show function. I use the slingshot grip. Anyway, next day my hand can't grip and there's a big ol' black and blue bruise. Does this ever happen to you?
Old January 30, 2017, 11:56 AM   #2
TunnelRat

I could get a sore muscle, but an actual bruise? How hard are you gripping?
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 30, 2017, 11:59 AM   #3
TBT

Are you on blood thinners maybe? Sounds extreme.
Old January 30, 2017, 01:10 PM   #4
Ramey

Here's a picture of me pulling the slide back. I'm not sure why it did that to my hand. I'm not on blood thinners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 30, 2017, 01:15 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Sounds more like an overworked muscle than a pulled one. If you pull a muscle you know it right away, quick like. A big, old, bruise is damage to the muscle, not a pull. And no it doesn't happen to me. snicker.
If you want to play like that take out the return spring.
Please reduce the size of your pictures.
Old January 30, 2017, 02:02 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O'Heir
Sounds more like an overworked muscle than a pulled one. If you pull a muscle you know it right away, quick like. A big, old, bruise is damage to the muscle, not a pull. And no it doesn't happen to me. snicker.
Why would you derive joy out of another shooter's injury? I guess I don't understand modern society.
Old January 30, 2017, 02:36 PM   #7
ShootistPRS

To bring this back on topic;
I have never had this happen to me but I have gotten a case of bursitis from performing an unusual activity repeatedly. I don't use the "slingshot" hold and prefer to grip the slide with my entire hand then push with my grip hand and pull with the slide. This is a bit strange because I learned to shoot with a Ruger and you have to use the "slingshot" hold with them. Somewhere along the way I changed the way I do it and it seems easier, not only to me but also to those I teach - especially the women at our Women on Target classes.

Oh, and a "pulled" muscle can cause what looks like a bruise if the muscle is torn. The tear causes bleeding under the skin and that's what causes the bruise.
Old January 30, 2017, 02:46 PM   #8
g.willikers

That pinch method in the picture is surely doing it the hard way.
Next time try what ShootistPRS describes as it's much easier.
Old January 30, 2017, 02:47 PM   #9
jackstrawIII

I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to tell you what your injury is.

However, I will say that I've had weird "fluke" injuries before. Like when I tore a tendon in my wrist while sanding a block of wood. I wasn't being overly aggressive, it just kinda popped randomly. I'm young (in my late 20s), physically fit, and do that kind of woodwork all the time... but weird stuff happens.

I wouldn't blame your technique or the gun. Just chalk it up as a fluke, let yourself heal, and move on.
Old January 30, 2017, 04:34 PM   #10
TailGator

It is most likely a fluke, but if you have any other unexplained bruising, nose bleeds, or blood in the toilet bowl, you need to see a doctor quickly. Some disorders of the blood clotting mechanisms can be serious and fast developing.
Old January 30, 2017, 05:02 PM   #11
Ramey

Thanks for the replies. I think it was a fluke. But you guys got me a little concerned. I use the sling shot grip because there's not much room on the slide and I need to show the "audience" the chamber is empty.

Old January 30, 2017, 05:04 PM   #12
PACraftsman

Take two aspirin and update us in the morning
Old January 30, 2017, 06:24 PM   #13
jason hammac

I would change the way your grasping the slide. Try to grasp it with you whole hand instead, and this way you can use your whole hand strength instead of just a couple of fingers.
Old January 30, 2017, 07:58 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason hammac
I would change the way your grasping the slide. Try to grasp it with you whole hand instead, and this way you can use your whole hand strength instead of just a couple of fingers.
See posts # 7 and 11
Old January 30, 2017, 08:56 PM   #15
Dufus

I have always used the "whole hand" grip as the gents describe here.

That way, if there is a round in the chamber, I catch it with my grip hand and it doesn't go in the dirt.

Remember: treat all firearms as if they are loaded until the action is locked open and you can see the chamber. I have witnessed accidental discharge from different folks. Be wary of them, even relatives and friends. The only person I trust around firearms is me.

I even saw a lady cop come within inches of shooting a guy in the head that was cuffed and on his belly. Accidental discharge.
Old January 31, 2017, 01:27 AM   #16
HistoryJunky

Also keep in mind the Shield is a smaller pistol so it's going to be harder to rack. Heavier Springs and all that. I'd go to overhand racking.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old January 31, 2017, 02:50 AM   #17
Bill DeShivs

DON'T take aspirins! I know it was a joke, but aspirin is a blood thinner. It will make the bruise worse.
Old January 31, 2017, 01:15 PM   #18
Walt Sherrill

I had a similar thing happen once, at the range. I don't know if I was racking the slide or not, but I don't use the sling-shot method. I had a huge swelling pop up in the palm of my off hand. A friend, a pathologist, who was shooting with me. said it was a hematoma -- which is, in effect, the equivalent of a big bruise gone mega. (Internal swelling from a damaged vein or artery or capillaries.) Nothing to worry about, he said. It took several days to go away, and it was somewhat painful for a while.

Stuff happens. You'll probably not have the same experience again.
Old January 31, 2017, 04:28 PM   #19
bedbugbilly

I have a 9mm Shield so I know how stiff the recoil spring is and the energy used to rack the slide. I am also on baby aspirin as a blood thinner so I can easily bruise at times. That said, I've never had what you are describing happen due to racking any of the semis I've owned.

My guess is perhaps you over did it as far as the racking goes? Or it may just be "you" and the repetitive movement? Perhaps a broken capillary?

Whatever the cause, I'd give the hand a rest for a while and let the bruising clear up. if it happens again, you might want to consult your physician about it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 31, 2017, 05:02 PM   #20
Ramey

It took about a week but the bruise went away. I'm chalking it up to a freak thing. Maybe next time I'll do some stretching first. If it happens again I'll take your advice and see the doc.

Old January 31, 2017, 05:03 PM   #21
rshaw

I tried the "slingshot slide rack" myself, and find that one cannot use the strength of the hand very effectively. My hands are rather slender, so I need the best grip I can get.

I have a P38 which has a strong pair of slide springs- so I grip the gun in my right hand, and stand with my left shoulder leaning forward downrange. With the gun pointed downrange, I place the heel of my left hand on the left side slide serrations, and three fingers of my right hand on the right side of the slide, again on the serrations. So my left hand is curved over the gun. This gives me a solid grip, and the ability to push the gun forward with my right grip hand, while with my left hand, holding the slide stationary, or pulling back slightly with my left arm and shoulder. This is far easier than the slingshot grip... for me anyway.

On the other hand, I also have a Smith Model 41 target pistol on which it is easy to rack the slide using the nromal slingshot grip. Left thumb on the right side of the slide at the rear, side of the left forefinger on the left rear of the slide, and pull back with the left hand, and push forward with the right grip hand- works pretty well.

Hope this helps..........
Old February 1, 2017, 12:03 PM   #22
Oysterboy

Quote:
I even saw a lady cop come within inches of shooting a guy in the head that was cuffed and on his belly. Accidental discharge.
I saw that and that's not accidental discharge, it's plain stupidity (finger on the trigger).

I used the sling shot method for years that I ruined my thumb. I can't bend it and pops with pain when I tried to. I have to switch hands when raking the slide and what did I do? Using the sling shot method again.
Old February 1, 2017, 04:20 PM   #23
rshaw

Here are a few good video clips on an alternative way to do it. Thumb is not used at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSiOq_uvCmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbayNc6D9HY

Both are similar..... See what you think....