The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 22, 2016, 08:38 AM   #26
jersurf101

It has been an up and down year here in eastern NC. Hurricane Mathew messed up BP season with some historic flooding. Our traditional rut was very warm as well. I white tail hunt and we have two black bear seasons.

My son got his first deer this year, a nice fat doe at about 150 yards with the Winchester 88. My three have all been fairly long pokes at 270 to 300 yards with my 300wsm. I have ended up with 2 does and a cull buck 7 point. This is all stand hunting, we do not run dogs. Over all I have seen a ton of deer and a few small bears. Big buck sightings were down but I have seen a ton of small bucks. I feel like that can be mostly attributed to the weather.
Old December 22, 2016, 05:04 PM   #27
Colorado Redneck

Thanks for the posts. Really enjoy reading about your hunting. Keep'em coming!
Old December 22, 2016, 10:12 PM   #28
upstate81

The hunting on our road was great this year. My cousin shot the 10 pointer i posted here. I shot a nice 11 pointer a few weeks ago and a doe 2 weeks prior. My brother in law shot a monster 8 point with his bow and a doe during gun season. Soon our deer management permits will be in the mail from the DEC. Then its easy freezer fillin from the pick up.
Old December 23, 2016, 08:18 AM   #29
lockedcj7

I did kill a doe yesterday so that will end my season. We only need two for meat. Salty dog, my son can't sit still to save his life. I don't know if this is an option where you hunt, but we built a 4'x4' box blind and it makes all the difference. I built it on skids so we can move it around easily and it keeps the weather off since it has a roof.
Old December 23, 2016, 09:07 AM   #30
BrthrB

2016 muzzle loader from western WI!

Hunting was tough during the early archery and regular gun season...got this buck on the 2nd to last day of the black powder season!

2016 black powder.JPG
Old December 24, 2016, 12:28 PM   #31
SJCbklyn

Missed a doe in NY.
It was a shot I probably shouldn't have taken. Luckily it was a clean miss.
Old December 24, 2016, 12:38 PM   #32
Nodak1858

I got a doe with my CMP Garand, shooting 150 grain Core-lokts over 46 grains of IMR4895. It was a small doe but after 3 days of walking many miles I was thankful to get anything. Son got a few shots at pheasants but missed, got himself a nice cotton tail though so some meat for the pot. Over all it's been a decent year.
Old December 24, 2016, 01:13 PM   #33
Mr. Hill

I was blessed with my first elk this year. And I managed to find a great new job last month, so this year is ending much better than the beginning/middle part of the year.

Merry Christmas!
Old December 25, 2016, 10:03 AM   #34
Picher

Had a great time hunting this year! Shot several grouse in the North Maine Woods and saw over 40 deer, but didn't have an antlerless tag and passed up two spikehorns early, and missed a quick shot on a 400 yard buck.

Really enjoyed hunting with my new Beretta 20 gauge O/U and new Rem 700 CDL, .270, with Leupold 3-9, Timney trigger and after-market stock.

Loaned out two rifles to three relatives who managed to shoot 2 bucks with them. Family is what it's all about!

Today (Christmas), my 15-year old grandson will be receiving a near-pristine Rem 721, 30-06 that was his other deceased grandfather's deer rifle. My son bought a new Rem ADL synthetic stock and scope and mounts for it. I fitted the stock (not easy) and pillar-bedded it to the metal; mounted the new 3-9x SIG scope and sighted it in. She's a fine, sub-moa shooter!

I hope he appreciates the history and gift from both grandfathers and his dad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matt's Rifle.jpg (68.4 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Picher; December 25, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old December 29, 2016, 02:32 PM   #35
MarkCO

We only filled one of three elk tags. I passed up several shots that were easier and eventually took my elk at 410 yards. My 12 year old and 15 year old each had 2 misses.

The elk were extremely skittish with a lot more pressure this year. Of course hunting a few resident herds is harder than it used to be hunting migratory herds of 100s out in the open valleys.

Full freezer, overall a success in my book.
Old January 1, 2017, 12:47 AM   #36
reynolds357

My six year old son just started hunting this year. He killed a five point buck, a 10 point buck, and killed a large doe at 198 yards(whitetails). He has a Savage Axis .223. The Fusion MSR are some mean little bullets. It has changed my way of thinking about hunting with a .223.
Old January 3, 2017, 01:27 PM   #37
MrBorland

I managed to get to my stand a few times and was happy to land this verynice-for-NC buck. I hope to get out for some bunnies soon.

Old January 3, 2017, 04:48 PM   #38
jfruser

My indian name must be "Noisy Vegetarian," because I saw bupkis. Or, rather, I saw lots of tracks and scat, but none of the critters that make them.

Wanted to see something so my daughter could get a shot off, but no luck.
Old January 5, 2017, 08:40 AM   #39
Deja vu

probably about 25-30 years I have been hunting. I did miss about 7-10 years recently... I lost interest because I was going alone. When my boys got old enough and expressed an interest in it I took the hobby back up. I am worried what will happen when my youngest moves out and is all busy.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 5, 2017, 09:14 AM   #40
shootbrownelk

My season went kaput this year, I had knee replacement surgery in the middle of September so I didn't bother to apply for or buy any tags over the counter. Still healing, not climbing mountains.
Old January 5, 2017, 03:53 PM   #41
ClaymoreAKM

Season, is over now here in NC. Had an OK season, ended up with just a 100lbs doe, but at least I have meat in the freezer. Turkey is right around the corner. and Rabbit season is going on.
Old January 5, 2017, 11:14 PM   #42
samsmix

I pulled the trigger, and this happpened. If he looks small of body for a Canadian line buck, it's because he was field dressed in this pic. Bugger ran out into a river and died there. 3/4 mile of dragging his soggy carcass cleaned him right up...lol. Wore me right out, too!

Oh screw it. The file is too big.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old January 6, 2017, 10:05 AM   #43
Iwanttoshootbettter

On a meat hunt wt

My 2 boys and I were offered to hunt spikes only last w/e.100$ each for the w/e and 200$ more for a kill fair enough.Sat am hunt 5 does come in ate and walked away cool I'm seeing deer 2 mature bucks come in I'm glassing and see 1-5pt the other was forked and not sure it's a spike until it was within 150yrds by then it walked away into deep cover.My oldest boy fixen to pop same spike I saw darn feeder went off and deer hauled butt scared off by feeder.Spikes can be hard to hunt #emptyfreezer.
Old January 9, 2017, 12:30 AM   #44
bamaranger

like throwing a switch

I posted on 21Dec that things were poor, but was hoping for change. The next morning I saw two different bucks, but no reasonable shot (rifle) on the bigger one, and I could never get a point count on the second so as to abide by club rules. Two days later, I missed a spike on other pvt. land with my bow, but stuck a tree. I risked death and injury, but managed to climb the tree and get my shaft back, but there is a vintage Bear Razorhead stuck in a red oak limb about 12 feet up!

A week after that, I shot a 5 pt on a public land hunt, with the tube feed Ruger .44 auto carbine, distance appx 60 yds, and got a thru and thru wound with the 200 gr XTP hollowpoint. That is the first pass thru wound I've gotten with that load, but also the longest shot with that combo. I suspect velocity was down enough at that distance to reduce expansion and allow more penetration.

Most recently, on 4Jan, on a PM hunt in the same hollow where I saw the two bucks before Christmas, I killed a 7 pt at about 75 yds with the .308 Hog rifle. The buck was working a scrape on the opposite hillside, having moved from a pine plantation out onto the hardwood hillside, and I was more than pleased with the shot, having to thread the bullet from hillside to hillside, up a tree 20', and the wind working me side to side. The early "solid base" .30/180 Ballistic Tip is actually a good expander on deer, I wish I could come up with a supply of those older slugs, the Hog Rifle really stacks 'em in there, and they are deadly on deer. I hear the "newer" .30/180 b-tip is tougher for bigger game.

Both of those bucks were where I thought they should be, doing what I thought they should be doing, and I find that as rewarding as the kill itself, maybe even more so. I plan to butcher the 7pt tomorrow, and have a stand up in a favorite spot for what I hope to be my last buck for this year.

From famine to feast, my year took a real change in about 3 weeks, like you'd thrown a switch.