The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2015, 06:30 PM   #1
Beagle333

Beating the weather.

The rains this summer are both a blessing and a curse. The catfish pond is loving it, but it seems that it rains at least once every day and it is just really cramping my casting. I have to gather up everything and run when a big cloud comes over.
But I have improved my casting area now!
This was before....

and after today! I liked casting under the trees, but it just isn't to be, this year. Now I'm an all weather caster.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 24, 2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Beagle333

Overkill! I put PB gas checks on the bullets before I sized and then decided to ESPC them. I can only guess that the paint on the cola cans kept it from transferring a great spark, as mine was very weak and the nose is beautiful but it didn't stick to the driving bands very well at all. So I just decided to run em through the luber, just to make sure this batch was shootable. And the results look kinda cool, but it isn't recommended, as it is double the work for the same bullet.

Oh... and that's my famous Tiger Stripe lube. That's what you get when you change the lube in the sizer without melting the previous lube out first. The first hundred or so bullets are striped until the new lube fills all the channels.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 25, 2015, 04:28 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

Nice on both accounts bud.

I need to get a couple of those covers installed up at the farm now to park things under. One of them is gonna have to be a bit taller than that however.

About that rain, don't knock it while ya got it. I know plenty of folks who said they were tired of it, but then we were getting upwards of 2-5 inches at a time for a WHILE. It didn't bother me until I stuck the tractor in the yard in the country. Even then it was just a mild inconvenience. When it stopped, it stopped and did rain until about two weeks ago, and even then it was only a spitting shower. We finally got some decent stuff last week and at least the cracks in the yard closed up for a while.
Old August 25, 2015, 03:38 PM   #4
straight-shooter

Stuff them boolits down in some brass and you'll never know. Great work Beagle. They may be a tad more smoky than plain PC but should shoot great.

Nice work on covering up the casting area. Now that your going to be able to cast about a million bullets non stop you better setup some floor jacks on that end of the house too!
Old August 25, 2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Beagle333

It's really the same weight. I keep my stash inside, stacked in MFR boxes, so I just take a box outside, cast it and bring the bullets back in. Same weight.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 25, 2015, 10:50 PM   #6
Vance

http://www.magmaengineering.com/masterpot/
Hey Beagle, If you think the RCBS ProMelt is the cadillac of bottom pour pots, Then you should get the Master Pot. 40 pound capacity and has a spring loaded pour lever. Very nice and has a consistent temp like the ProMelt. This is the pot that also sets on top of the Master Caster that I bought recently. And you thought the ProMelt was expensive. My ProMelt will be used for my hollow point molds and the Master Caster for everything else.

Nice area you have set up there. I was going to suggest a car port like that or one of those pop up canopies to keep the rain off, but you already have it taken care of. I wish I lived out in the country where I could have a similar set up. But I have mine set up in my basement/garage.
Old August 26, 2015, 06:38 AM   #7
stubbicatt

Wow Vance. Nice furnace.

Presently my casting is from a single cavity, 200 grain mould. I suppose after an hour the level in that pot would pretty much remain the same! Hey an added benefit! The never ending supply of melt.
Old August 26, 2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Vance

Magma makes one for ladle casting that holds 90 pounds of lead. It's around $500.
Old August 26, 2015, 06:13 PM   #9
Beagle333

That MasterPot sure is nice! I could use the 40# capacity for sure! But I guess it'd be cheaper to just mount a Drips-A-Lot or even a second ProMelt above my current one to double the available capacity, since I could give it a hot refill instantly.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 31, 2015, 09:36 AM   #10
snuffy

Beagle, if by drips-a-lot you mean the 4-20 lee, that's what I have, in fact I have 2 of them and a third 20 pound ladle pot. Oh, but mine do not drip. I put a new wood handle on both, that has a hole drilled in 1.5 inch hardwood dowel filled with lead. That gives enough extra weight to keep the valve seated.

OK so that's something you probably wouldn't have to do with a pro-melt or that magma. But for the cost difference I can do a lot of modifications and still have a pot that works well. Oh and the PID helps a lot for temp control.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 31, 2015, 09:42 AM   #11
snuffy

And I beat the weather each time I cast, because I cast inside in my loading room. I do wait for cooler temps in summertime as I don't want to have to have the AC running to keep from sweating excessively. I don't think the smoke would be a good thing for the heat exchanger on the AC.

I have a window open with a fan at my back directed out the window. Keeps me cool enough. My blood-lead levels are just fine. I have it checked every 1.5 years at the VA.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?