The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Prof Young

How much reloading $uff do you have?

Loaders:
For about 9 months now I've had all my reloading stuff well organized on shelves (finally). Looking at all my goods I mentally added up the value ($$$) of what I have.

If you count all my components (powder, bullets, primers and cases) I have about a grand invested. Not to mention that most of my cases I acquired from factory ammo (how does one count that cost?). I think only twice have I bought brass, once for some new 44 mags, and once a bag of 1000 used 9mm.

That grand does not include the presses, or dies, or scales or books or . . .

All in all if you take just what I have on hand now and don't count the most recently loaded ammo, I have about $1500 invested in reloading.

Live well, be safe, Merry Christmas
Prof Young
Old December 24, 2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Sevens

I have been doing this more than 25 years. It would be a big project to try and put a dollar value on it, but a low estimate just in component handgun bullets would be $3,500. Mostly plated, some cast lead and a bunch of jacketed also.
Old December 24, 2014, 03:43 PM   #3
std7mag

My girlfriend is trying to get me to do a run down on how much money I have invested in reloading.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!

Like I want her flipping out on how much I spend!!! Would put a quick end to how much I shoot!!!
Old December 24, 2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

This is a fairly recent pic of some of my inventory. I'm into 5-figures, for sure.

Old December 24, 2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Sevens

Hahahaha.....
Bullets on a high shelf.

Been there, not again!
Old December 24, 2014, 05:10 PM   #6
surveyor

Not quite enough yet...

But it is enough to have the wife shoot what she wants on range day without rationing..
Old December 24, 2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
My girlfriend is trying to get me to do a run down on how much money I have invested in reloading.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!

Like I want her flipping out on how much I spend!!! Would put a quick end to how much I shoot!!!
Might not work for you but the last time My woman asked me that I simply answered less than what you have in your hair, tanning, and nails....

She got wise and said I do that for you! I said okay ill sell my stuff and you stop spending on hair, nails and tanning, deal....needless to say she stormed off and never heard anything about it again!
Old December 24, 2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Clark

I have 282 dies that I track with a spread sheet. [Another die arrived today, insert row]
I have another spreadsheet for guns and another for scopes.

I think I have ~ 2,000 pounds of reloading stuff for sixty some odd cartridges.

I helped a hunting buddy move, and he has ~ 2,000 pounds stuff for 10 cartridges.

Like an alcoholic justifying his lifestyle by saying, "I have a job, pay taxes.. what's your problem?"
I find my self justifying my hoarding by saying, "It is in file folder boxes with labels on each box and the boxes are on shelves."
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 24, 2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Bullets on a high shelf.
They're plenty sturdy. When I put them in, I did pull-ups off of them - I weigh 210 Lbs. Besides, that's only about 1/4 of my of my bullets - most of them reside on the floor. Not to mention all the brass and primers are out of view. All my powder is in the pic, however - except for the 4 containers (12oz ea.) of Nitro 100 that just came last week.

I'm much better stocked than any LGS I've seen in over two years. But it's still nothing compared to Clark, I'm gathering
Old December 24, 2014, 06:19 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

I've got a grand just in the dies for 18 calibers.

According to my reloading spreadsheet, I've got a ways to go before my per round cost is below retail, but it won't take long to get there.

I know a guy, reloading since the late 1950's, with dies for over 150 calibers in his gun basement. If you want to load up some 7mm-06 Ackley Improved Nitro Express Belted Magnum, 8mm Lebel, .43 Egyptian, etc., etc., he's the man to see. Brass and bullets still on the shelves for most of it, too, in some quantity or other.

If you were to total up all his stuff, with an inflation factor, I'll bet it's well over $50,000.
Old December 24, 2014, 06:33 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

I've been reloading since the early 1970s, currently set up for over 30 different rifle and handgun cartridges. For the last decade or so, I've acquired more than I've used.

Won't begin to try and figure out a current market value, but if its not more than both my and my wife's car, I'd be quite surprised.
Old December 24, 2014, 06:43 PM   #12
4runnerman

Could not put a value on it. Would take to long to add up. I donate plasma for $280.00 a month ( easy Money by the way). That money is all spent on reloading only. So-$280.00 x 12 x 4 years now. Plus what I had before I started donating. I can say for sure- I have more than the Local Scheels store has in stock
Old December 24, 2014, 08:05 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I donate plasma. That money is all spent on reloading.
Now that's dedication!

Kidding aside, thanks for your contribution. We all appreciate it.
Old December 24, 2014, 08:23 PM   #14
mattL46

Between 2-3k maybe slightly more if I had to attach dollar signs to it.
Old December 24, 2014, 08:43 PM   #15
jcwit

I've been reloading for approx. 56 years now. I have more components then I'll likely ever use. I have no idea how much I have invested, nor am I going to spend time taking inventory, at this point in my life, it is what it is.
Old December 24, 2014, 08:48 PM   #16
RKG

Too much?

Not enough?

Both.
Old December 24, 2014, 09:09 PM   #17
Sevens

Impressive shelves, Nick. They don't look that beastly in the picture, but I'm sure you know your gig.

I just counted the bullets I keep upstairs, which means ones I'm not using right this moment and I came up with 34,500.

I haven't seen anyone whine & flip out the term "hoarding" yet, but FWIW, I'm still 300 loaded rounds under my expected 20k for 2014.
Old December 24, 2014, 09:22 PM   #18
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I came up with 34,500 (bullets).
Without counting, I think I'm just shy of that.

Addendum: I just did a casual count. I've got about 18K - about half of what you have. 34K is a bunch of shootin'.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; December 25, 2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old December 24, 2014, 09:31 PM   #19
straight-shooter

I don't sweat it too much cause it still beats buying them off the shelf on the way to the range! Cast lead and it's a lot more justifiable.
Old December 24, 2014, 09:33 PM   #20
Vet66

Can't recall how much I have invested, plenty I'm sure. I use three presses XL650 being the primary, insofar as powder, bullets, brass, etc more than I have space to list here. As far as loaded ammo....well, I doubt I'll run low.

Last edited by Vet66; December 24, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old December 24, 2014, 09:39 PM   #21
MarkGlazer

Don't know and don't care to know, and more importantly, neither does my wife. As long as we can get to the range when we want, she doesn't care what I buy. I married the right woman.
Old December 24, 2014, 09:54 PM   #22
Jim243

Quote:
I have about a grand invested.
Is that all? (LOL) I have that invested just in powder and primers.

Like others said, I don't want to know or even give my wife a hint. (LOL)

Jim
Old December 24, 2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Prof Young

Wow.

And I thought I had a lot.
Can't even touch some of you.
Merry Christmas.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old December 24, 2014, 10:03 PM   #24
Jim243

Marry Christmas to you too.

Stay safe and shoot straight.
Jim
Old December 24, 2014, 11:27 PM   #25
Crankgrinder

I got a turret press, 4 sets of dies, 5 molds, an electric pot, one sizing die, ten cans of powder and a shell tumbler and it does the job