The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 28, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1
softmentor

AOL promotes Sandyhook gun "safty" site

Anyone see this? When you go to AOL's log in site, and the log in page to get to your email, you will see this.

MAKE THE PROMISE TO PARENT TOGETHER - I promise to join together with other parents for a safer world for all children free from the threat of gun violence.

They claim to have over 300,000 signed up already.

http://www2.sandyhookpromise.org/
Old December 28, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

'Yeah, sure, I promise to join together with other parents for a safer world for all children free from the threat of gun violence no matter that this seems to be the spaciest conflagration of people yet since there's no direction spelled out whatsoever but there's blue sky there so it must be a good thing and Ed O'Neill is there looking VERY concerned so they must know what they're doing 'cause Al Bundy was a pretty together guy in a way so if we all promise to be better parents maybe like him in Married With Children then stuff about all this gun violence will probably get better... I think maybe... won't it?"
Old December 28, 2013, 11:56 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Meanwhile ... I foolishly gave away today's bird cage liner, but the front page story was that the Connecticut State Police have finally released their complete, final report on the sandy Hook shooting. The conclusion?

After a full year of investigation, and thousands of pages of transcripts of interviews and evidence, the bottom line is that they have NO idea what set the kid off.

He was autistic ... or he wasn't.

He had Asperger's Syndrome ... or he didn't.

He was paranoid ... or he wasn't.

He hated his mother ... or he didn't.

He hated Sandy Hook School ... or he didn't.

About the only aspect for which there weren't polar opposite opinions voiced by different interviewees was that, from about age 11 or 12, the kid became more reclusive and developed a fascination/obsession with violent death. And he refused to take the medications prescribed for him because he refused to accept that he had mental health issues.

So there we are. Apparently there were lots of subtle indications of some mental health issues, but nothing that led any of a number of mental health professionals to anticipate that he would act out in such a manner.

Which means all this blather about "gun" violence is again/still focusing on the implement rather than on the problem. The problem is how to better learn to see when somebody like this kid is gearing up to go off the deep end. And we're not going to get there by waging a campaign against "gun" violence. Guns are NOT the problem.
Old December 29, 2013, 01:19 AM   #4
Nickel Plated

AOL still exists? Why?
Old December 29, 2013, 05:09 AM   #5
Ben Towe

I wasn't aware they still existed either, at least not in that form.
Old December 29, 2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Koda94

I promise to vote for laws allowing teachers to carry concealed on the job
Old December 29, 2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Cirdan

I still use AOL mail - it's the address I give out to scammers and spammers who make you give an email address for access to news sites and such.

Very useful - I just go in once a week and delete everything.
Old December 29, 2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Sandy Hook Promise has been around for awhile. They recruited the parents who lost children in the Newtown shooting and made sure they got plenty of face time on television. They were the star attraction on a couple of Bloomberg's bus tours.

If that sounds crass, it isn't. Those people were briefed on an agenda and forced into the political spotlight before they'd even had a chance to grieve. If I ever needed to demonstrate the moral divide between those who support the RKBA and those who oppose it, that sort of predatory exploitation would be Example A.
Old December 30, 2013, 05:13 PM   #9
KyJim

When you look at the actual promise, it's something most of here could support:
Quote:
I Promise to join other parents to encourage and support sensible solutions that help prevent gun violence in our communities and our country.
Who doesn't want sensible solutions to prevent gun violence?
Old December 30, 2013, 06:24 PM   #10
4runnerman

AOl is still around?. Wow that died along with Windows 3.1 and DOS.

300,000-- These people need to update there computer system.

If that sounds crass, it isn't. Those people were briefed on an agenda and forced into the political spotlight before they'd even had a chance to grieve

Tom that is just sad. It shows how desperate they are and the total lack of feeling towards any one except their cause
Old December 30, 2013, 06:29 PM   #11
Kimio

Only problem, is that the definition of "sensible solutions" is completely different to what we consider to be within the real of "sensible solutuions". To the gun grabbers taking every single privately owned firearm out of the hands of law abiding citizens is the "sensible solution" to the "Mass shooting" problem.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:02 PM   #12
madmo44mag

Now, now boys and girls.
Y'all have a coke and a smile under a big blue sky and sing idealistic songs from around the world and have a moon pie.( direct to those who know who they are)

Me, I'll continue to arm myself and live in the real world of evil and mentally challenged people that can't be regulated or legislated away.

Evil is everywhere and as long as free men and women can arm themselves to protect them and theirs we will live not in fear but preparedness.

The fact is the world is an evil place with all sorts of bad things and people and the only reason we hear so much about it is that communication via the interwebs allows more outlet of bad news.

Read your history and nothing has changed you just hear more about it now.

OK I’ll get off my soap box.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:46 PM   #13
KMAX

The problem with most people who talk about gun violence is that they focus on the gun and not the real problem, violence.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 31, 2013, 01:47 PM   #14
KyJim

Quote:
Y'all have a coke and a smile under a big blue sky and sing idealistic songs from around the world and have a moon pie.( direct to those who know who they are)
You obviously don't know about what you talk. A true Southerner knows it's an RC and a moon pie or maybe some peanuts dropped into a bottle of Dr. Pepper.
Old December 31, 2013, 01:51 PM   #15
madmo44mag

KyJim I know whats what but them there northern folks have no idea what an RC cola is - LOL!!!
Old December 31, 2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

As much as I do like RC cola, we are off topic here.
Closed Thread