The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2013, 09:50 AM   #1
blackhawk8

Powder,Primer storage question

Would like some advice, My reloading bench is in basement and I get water running across the floor especially in rainy season. I have powder and primer stored in cabinet top shelf. It is cool place but i"m thinking about moving primers and powder upstairs. Where do you guys store yours ? Thanks for the advice.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:54 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

In a closet under climate control

Sounds like you need to do something about water coming into your basement
Old March 20, 2013, 11:58 AM   #3
NWPilgrim

If you have the primers in a sealed plastic tub that will probably protect them from excessive humidity. I store mine in the garage. Some are in a cabinet drawer next to the reloading bench, and others are in a plastic tub on a shelf. In the NW we have few days of high temps so it is a relatively cool, dry location.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 20, 2013, 12:13 PM   #4
schmellba99

I keep all of mine on a shelf right above my loading bench, which is inside the house.

If you don't want to move it upstairs, a good Rubbermaid storage container that will seal up relatively tight with some dessicant to absorb moisture inside the tub while it is sealed is more than sufficient.
Old March 20, 2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Poindexter

I keep mine in milsurp ammo boxes, the metal ones with spring lock latch and rubber O ring seal.

Airtight, watertight, and at least a little bit fire resistant. I have a dedicated shelf near my bench for them in the garage, I keep the garage heated to about +55dF in the winter, though it is certainly colder in there for a few minutes at a time when my wife is driving in or out.

FWIW my back stocks of powder and primers are also vaccuum sealed in food saver bags, and then stuck in the ammo cans. Like I have more than six months of supplies on hand right now, yeah right.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:23 PM   #6
blackhawk8

Thanks everyone for the advice, I went to Walmart and got a few watertight boxes which I think will help. I have never had a problem but it just came to my mind to take some precautions. As for the powder, it is pretty protected in the containers it came in. Again Thanks