The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2012, 07:05 AM   #1
steve4102

Alox and Mica?

I am lubing my cast bullets with Alox/Mineral spirits, sizing them and lubing again. They stay a little sticky and tacky after several days.

I have read that coating them with a very light dusting of Motor mica will take care of the sticky problems.

My question, How will this combo of Alox and Mica affect my neck tension. Will these bullets coated in mica be more prone to set-back, or no?
Old September 15, 2012, 07:41 AM   #2
dahermit

If they do not set back with alox on them, I do not see how adding mica will make any difference. I have routinely dusted with mica on all my cast bullets for years, both handgun and rifle cast bullets with no problems.
I do not use liquid alox however. I use NRA formula 50/50 in a lube/sizer.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:02 AM   #3
dunerjeff

no it won't cause issues.
Old September 15, 2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Goatwhiskers

Won't cause any tension problems. I take care of the sticky by rolling them on a rag with corn starch sprinkled on it, like when Momma had a rag with flour on it when making biscuits. GW
Old September 15, 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
Won't cause any tension problems. I take care of the sticky by rolling them on a rag with corn starch sprinkled on it, like when Momma had a rag with flour on it when making biscuits. GW
Then there is the added benefit of the smell of fresh baked bread when you shoot them.
Old September 16, 2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Goatwhiskers

Can't say which I'd rather smell in the morning, gunpowder or fresh baked bread. GW
Old September 16, 2012, 02:03 PM   #7
garryc

Change up some. Mix alox with Johnson's paste wax and add in mica. About 50-50 with the Alox and wax and cut it with mineral spirits just till if flows easy. Then add the mica. I tumble about 350 bullets at a time and I'm only putting in 1 tablespoon of mica. First though, I use the Alox/Wax mix without the mica then do it with the mica after sizing. Not sticky at all. Note that it will build up on your seating stem and has to be cleaned off periodically.