The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 21, 2010, 02:10 PM   #1
ProGunIndependent

Turkey Hunting with a .22lr

Hello...long time lurker, first time poster here.

I enjoy small game hunting with a .22lr rifle with 4x scope (squirrel, rabbit, etc.)

Turkey hunting is beginning to sound like alot of fun, and im thinking of trying it for the first time this upcoming fall season.

I don't own a shotgun, however. Its legal here to use a rifle during the fall season so I was thinking of using the .22lr with a hypervelocity HP. I know turkeys are tough birds and I always strive to be ethical, so I would only be interested in taking a head shot.

But is it realistic to expect a headshot to present itself? From the videos ive watched, a turkey's head really seems to bob around alot and its seems like it would be pretty difficult.

I would appreciate any advice or pointers. Thanks...
Old May 21, 2010, 02:47 PM   #2
oneounceload

I would imagine that a rifle by their meaning, is a centerfire, not a rimfire. I haven't seen a place yet that allowed turkey hunting with a .22LR
Old May 21, 2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Daryl

Check your state's regulations to be sure a .22 LR is legal.

Here in Az it has to be .22 mag, and recently I think they added .17 HMR.

If I had to use a .22 LR, I'd use CCI Velocitor ammo and aim for the base of the wing.

You are right that head shots are tricky with a rifle.

Daryl

Last edited by Daryl; May 22, 2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old May 21, 2010, 06:28 PM   #4
banditt007

I agree i'd go with the velociter. I'd think you'd want a deep penetrating expanding bullet. which the velociter is. Those hyper velocity rounds I think would expand too much and penetrate too little.
Old May 21, 2010, 06:36 PM   #5
davlandrum

Where is "here"?

Have to admit, I have never seen the combination of "ethical", "head shot on a turkey", and ".22lr" used together in one post before.

Not for me, even if it was legal (which it is not in Oregon).

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old May 21, 2010, 07:24 PM   #6
SavageSniper

Dont think that it is legal, but if it is I would go with a shot at the base of the wing as stated earlier. Head/neck shots would be tricky. For practice, tie a walnut to a piece of string then swing it back and forth. If you can hit it regularly at 20-30 yrds then you are good to go. And a better shot than I am. The old folks back home used to tree them with a dog, then shoot them with a .22. Very ilegal now and probably was then, but thats the way it used to be when you had to put meat on the table.
Old May 21, 2010, 07:59 PM   #7
leetosaurus

You can certainly kill one with a .22 lr but make sure its legal where you're hunting.

If it says "Centerfire Rifles Only" then it would not be legal.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:06 PM   #8
treg

Get them in close - shot gun range, and shoot the base of the neck. It doesn't move around near as much and puts 'em down quick. Accuracy is the key. An accurate hyper velocity HP works best then high vel. HP's, but accuracy is the deciding factor.
Old May 22, 2010, 02:14 AM   #9
bamaranger

not recommended

The wild turkey is our grandest game bird. On the scale of things, they are NOT small game, a rabbit or squirrel. It deserves much respect. Speaking plainly, .22 lr is not enough gun to hunt this great bird. And +1 to all the "is it legal comments".

The head is a small and much moving target, easily missed, (LOTS of turkeys get missed w/ shotguns, ask me how I know) and its possible to not hit the brain or vitals (my objection to head shots on all game animals) and just blow the beak off.

Rifle hunting them is common in some areas in the fall, and I grew up in an area and w/ men who did so, legally. Common turkey rifles were the .218 Bee, the .22 Hornet, and the 25-20 Win. The .22 mag was not considered a turkey ctg by those grand old gents of my past. By comparison, that puts the .22 lr in a pretty poor light.

I have killed a gobbler in the spring that sustained and survived a .22 round through the breast. The wound was low, on the breast bone, below the vitals. The hole in the breast bone, was funnel shaped, well healed, and the bird was not suffering from it in the least. It likely received same 2-3 years prior when some migrant forestry workers were observed poaching turkeys on our lease w/ a .22. The bird BTW was the absolute epitome of wary.

If legal, get a bigger rifle as described, or buy a shotgun (a full choke 12 single bbl 12 has ended many a turkey's tale), learn to call a bit, and join one of the greatest hunting challenges in the states. Just not w/ a .22.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:33 AM   #10
James R. Burke

I aggree with the rest on using a rifle. I would no doubt double check that, not saying your wrong but never heard of it. Also one or two good center of the chest shots would do it, and with a 22 it would leave just a little puck mark. They are a strong bird, but double check on it.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:10 PM   #11
birdshot

base of neck

i agree with treg. the base of the neck about where feathers turn into skin is a plenty big target, at typical call ranges. i found getting the gun into position more diffucult than hitting the neck. also if you are not starving the head shot gives you bragging rights for a while. here in nebraska the turkey are as bad as hogs are in texas. i would like to see their numbers thinned out some. so come on up next spring. shotgun only though.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:53 PM   #12
sc928porsche

22-250 works good on head shots for turkey.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:59 PM   #13
markj

There is a guy lives outside of valentine ne uses a 22 handgun at night has a laser grip. He shoots them out of the trees around his home. I have seen over 200 burds at a time in roost on his place. I dont condone this as it is against the law but the turkeys die from a .22 round. Havent been out there for a few years but I imagine he still does this.

Not all folks see turkeys as reverent beings, some look at them like they are varmints.

Did you know at 11 days a turkey can fly? And run as fast as a deer? Sure can. Ben Franklin wanted them as our national bird
Old May 24, 2010, 07:52 PM   #14
SavageSniper

Quote:
Not all folks see turkeys as reverent beings, some look at them like they are varmints.
That goes for any species that is over populated and/or destroying crops. Like the saying goes, a lilly is a beautiful flower but if its growing in your tomatoes then it is a weed.
Old May 25, 2010, 03:45 AM   #15
bamaranger

as bad as hogs

Now that would be something. May I be forever so cursed as to live in country where there is an overpopulation of turkeys.

I have never heard of an eastern bird being so approachable after being "treed" that you could walk up and plink one w/ a .22. I know of a few old timers who had turkey dogs when I was a youth, the dog would break the flock, and the hunter would call the birds back (fall hunt) for the shot.

I did, one time, have a gobbler that I was calling to, go up a tree upon the appearance of a coyote. He flushed wildly when I appeared at about 100 yds + (I thought the tom had moved off).

"Reverent beings" ? C'mon, give me a break. Respected is all I'm stating.

"Crop destroying and overpopulated varmints".....Yeah, kill'em all. Whitetails in much of their range, elephants in Africa, buffalo in the American west, passenger pigeons,..no better than rats, the lot of 'em. By any means available, poison, night hunting, shoot off the roost w/ a laser. ..who cares??
Old May 25, 2010, 07:19 AM   #16
moosemike

Rimfires are indeed legal here in PA for the fall season. He is most likely from PA.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:36 AM   #17
skydiver3346

.22lr for Turkey?

Sure it will probably kill a big bird but I would not use one (legal or not).
If you can swing it, I would try and get a .22 Hornet (centerfire) for turkey hunting. I know that will do the job as I have hunted them with mine before with great success.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:06 AM   #18
FrontSight

I specifically remember someone posting pics of legally huting turkeys with bait and a rifle, and it was AWESOME. Wish I could do it in NY.

Anyways, .22 is plenty for a turkey...hell, it'll even take a deer with very little trouble if you hit it right.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:40 AM   #19
Rifleman1776

Not an issue here. Hunting turkeys is simply not legal in Arkansas.
Old May 25, 2010, 04:25 PM   #20
markj

bama you did say:

Quote:
The wild turkey is our grandest game bird.
I misunderstood, there are some that put deer for example on a high pedestal. Go as far as tatooing 8 points on their bodies have deer hunter stuff all over their truck well you know the kind glad you are not one of them.

That guy goes out after they go to roost. In the dim light just before sundown, visibility is good enough 5 guys can kill a lot of turkeys in a 1/2 hour.

Come on up, as I said I can show you flocks with huge numbers of turkeys and deer too. Corn fed and big as they can get. We kill em and eat em, big deal.....

I stalk em, deer too. The way hunters do it old timers like me do it a bit different.

I do love going out at sunrise and hearing them gobblers, pheasants been crowing too. Soon bob white will be around.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:40 PM   #21
AZwarts

I believe it is illegal to use a rifle for turkey in AZ now. There has been a lot of accidents where people hear calls coming from a bush so they fire but it turns out that there was another hunter in the bush.

BUT when it was legal my friends dad used a .22 lr and put one bullet in the turkeys head. It will work fine for turkeys
Old June 14, 2010, 08:30 AM   #22
Scout

I've had good results with the .17 Mach 2. I don't think I'd want to use a .22 though.