The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 9, 2009, 02:09 PM   #51
Malamute

I have no problem with the claim. I've hit an 18" plate @ 300 with the ex's Glock 19, one handed. Repeatedly. Not every shot, but enough to know it can be done. Two handed, the number of hits can go up. A difference in bullet type makes a noticable difference in the amount of sight needed to make hits. WWB 115's shot flatter than Rem HP's. Two handed helps a lot, as does a good rest, or kneeling. I've made 6 for 6 @ 300 with a 22 Smith on an 18"w x 36"h plate, kneeling two handed, and 5 for 6 with a 4" 29. It isnt anything spectacular. I think I could teach any decent pistol shot to do it in an hour. I havent shot farther, 300 was fun, and interesting. I know a guy that shoots farther with a sixgun, up to about 800 on occasion, just seeing what he can do. I believe he said he could hit a half sheet of plywood @ about 600 fairly regularly with a heavy loaded 45 Colt.

Couple of points worth mentioning, a .40 @ 500, whatever the comparable paper energy, has more momentum than a 22, and will punch through more steel or whatever than the 22. The 22 also has a soft bullet, and can deform easier, so may not penetrate your particular drum of choice reliably, tho it seems to be able to poke holes in your neighbors drums.

I have no idea what the paper trajectory is on any pistol load, and it really doesnt matter, you don't shoot pistols at long range on paper trajectories, or by adjusting sights for it. You do it by holding the front sight up above the rear some amount. Trial and error shows you how much. The more you do it, the more you can do it well. The numbers mean nothing. For the ex's glock 19 with wwb 115's, I held about 2/3 or so of the white dot above top of the rear sight, with the 300 yard plate on top of the front sight. That made hits. The HP loads took a little more front sight. I have no idea how much "holdover" or "drop" it had, but I can hit the plate with that sight picture. Two handed takes more front sight, as the gun is held down tighter. I've shot other glocks at the 300 yard plate, and after a few rounds, could range it in and hit. Smith sixguns have much better trigger actions, and are generally easier to make longer hits with.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old December 9, 2009, 02:30 PM   #52
Snakum

I have no problem believing it. I've shot 8" groups at 100 yards from a rest with my G23s and G22s. I have no doubt I could do 30 - 40" groups at 500 yards with practice and a new pair of glasses. Many of us here could do it with our favorite pistol. Problem is, it would take more patience than I have and more ammo than I could afford to nail it.
Old December 9, 2009, 05:37 PM   #53
NWPilgrim

Quote:
... so may not penetrate your particular drum of choice reliably, tho it seems to be able to poke holes in your neighbors drums.
Ha ha! Right there is a nugget of wisdom! If you ever doubt something will penetrate, just wait until it hits somebody else's something and it will act like depleted uranium.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old December 10, 2009, 01:58 AM   #54
Desertscout1

Quote:
DesertScout1;

Quite a different crowd from where you are used to posting, isn't it?
LOL! Yes sir, it is. It's pretty easy to tell the real shooters from the keyboard experts here. I always find it funny that even though there are usually a few that want to call BS about something, there is NEVER one that will put his money where his mouth is. I have a standing invitation to anyone at any time to come here and shoot with me and I will back up everything I say.
Any takers?......................... Naw, I didn't think so
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old December 10, 2009, 02:47 AM   #55
dances with guns

Quote:
LOL! Yes sir, it is. It's pretty easy to tell the real shooters from the keyboard experts here. I always find it funny that even though there are usually a few that want to call BS about something, there is NEVER one that will put his money where his mouth is. I have a standing invitation to anyone at any time to come here and shoot with me and I will back up everything I say.
Any takers?......................... Naw, I didn't think so

well before you get all tickled pink with yourself, i think it's fair to say most of us do not have a 200 or 500 yard range (or a video camera) with which we can disprove anything. or the necessary funds for ammo to keep shooting at those distances until you hit something.

you are lucky to have a place like that to shoot at, and money to send on the ammo, my friend.
Old December 10, 2009, 03:14 AM   #56
OfficerJohnson10

Desertscout1,

I'll take you up on your invitation just to get the chance to shoot at that distance but you pay my airfare and I'll buy the ammo. You put up a good post and it doesn't really matter if anyone of us believes you or not. You know what you did or didn't do. If you did what you claim to have done ( which I believe you did) then +1 for you. If you didn't, then I'm sorry that your ego is such that you would take the extra time to post doctored pics and make a fraudulent claim. Either way it was a day at the range which should be a good day for anyone on this forum.

Your goal in a gunfight should not be to simply survive...it should be to prevail.
Old December 10, 2009, 03:51 AM   #57
Sarge

Good thread, Desertscout. I've done plenty of this at 550 using an old pallet as a target, with various 1911's, 45 Colts & 44 Mags.

I'll back your original pic as a good 500 yard photo as well as your penetration results at that distance.
Old December 10, 2009, 05:38 AM   #58
imthegrumpyone

Desertscout1, isn't life interesting ? love some of the BS's on these forums, by the way Great shot, "I believe you", of course my theory is I don't give a dam who believes what I've done or not done, never on my mine to have to prove myself to sceptical people.
Old December 10, 2009, 09:37 AM   #59
Desertscout1

Thanks, guys. Like I said, it's real easy to tell the shooters from the bystanders.
Maybe I should have started with the premise for my post. It was never meant to be about how I can shoot but rather, how Glocks can shoot. All my guns are stock except for the triggers and a couple have after-market bbls. I never meant to say that Glocks were the only ones that could do this, only that they can. Many folks on these boards are ecstatic to luck one into a paper plate at 50 yards once in awhile. My G20 will consistently shoot into 3.5" at 50 with my handloads.
From the braggarts that we have taken out to our range, we have seen that most could not reliably hit a freight train at 500 yards much less a piece of plywood, no matter what they were shooting.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:15 AM   #60
CraigC

Excellent posts by Malamute and Sarge! Finally some honest truth amongst all the typical foolishness we see in these threads.
Old December 10, 2009, 02:40 PM   #61
mavracer

Quote:
Maybe I should have started with the premise for my post. It was never meant to be about how I can shoot but rather, how Glocks can shoot. All my guns are stock except for the triggers and a couple have after-market bbls. I never meant to say that Glocks were the only ones that could do this, only that they can. Many folks on these boards are ecstatic to luck one into a paper plate at 50 yards once in awhile. My G20 will consistently shoot into 3.5" at 50 with my handloads.
OK, but now really what can you do with an accurate handgun.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 10, 2009, 09:31 PM   #62
dean1818

I can shoot my Sig 226 at LEAST 25yards.......

Old December 10, 2009, 10:03 PM   #63
koolminx

This has been a funny read. Although I'm NOT an authority on 500 yard penetration with a pistol, I have a hard time seeing the bullet penetrating BOTH sides of the barrel at any distance over 250 yards.

scout1, that's some good shootin but not good enough for me.

When you are next in the Pacific North West, send me a PM and we'll go out and shoot up the side of a mountain or two, and I'll bring my softballs and my 6 shooters and we'll have a hell of a time!

I talk more schitt than I can shoot, and only two months ago did I finally hit my first target with my Ruger .44 and .41 mag and my oh my is it easier than I imagined once I figures it out.

I whack softballs out of trees and off the ground at 60 yards with 5 of 6 shots with my Rugers. I'd LOVE to be able to learn to shoot 150-500 yards with them, and I'll let YOU teach me

Gary
Old December 10, 2009, 10:21 PM   #64
44 AMP
Staff

Its all a matter of talent...or luck

Elmer Keith once wrote about how a friend brought him a suitcase full of pistols (many different types), and he was able to get on target with each one, before the gun was empty. The only exception was a short barreled .45 "slipgun" that took him 12 rnds. The target was an old outhouse, at 700 yds!

Also, at that range, the .45 Colt bullets had enough energy to completely penetrate the weathered 1" plank wall, and bury itself base deep in the 2x4" corner post. The energy of a large bore slug, even when its forward velocity is nearly spent is enough to cause serious injury, and death, if the impact angle is right. People can and do die from "spent" rounds falling on them from the sky.

Any range the bullet can hit you its dangerous, whether it has the energy to puch through an empty drum, or not.
Old December 11, 2009, 12:07 AM   #65
Desertscout1

I don't know exactly where you are at koolminx but I will be in Vegas during the first week of January to do some shooting. If you (or anyone else here) can make it that far, we'll go shoot.
Old April 22, 2011, 11:30 PM   #66
Desertscout1

OK, koolminx!

You told me once over a year that if I were ever in the Pacific Northwest to give you a holler and we'd go out and do some shooting.
I will be in Vancouver, WA from 20 May until about the end of the month. I'll be conducting a Disaster Preparedness seminar on the 21st at the American Legion Hall on 20th Ave.
I will also be stopping near Grants Pass, OR for a little while for some demo shooting and promotional stuff.
Then off to Lincoln, CA to teach a FoF class.
If you think you might be able to get together around one of those places, let me know.
Old April 22, 2011, 11:52 PM   #67
koolminx

I'm READY!

But didn't you know that the Rapture and assent to heaven will happen on the 21'st of May 2011? That's what I heard on the radio last week anyway...

But just in case it don't happen I have a box of .44 Ruger Mag's (only 240 grain though) and am willing to shoot at any distance to improve my skills!

You got a PM
Old April 23, 2011, 12:24 AM   #68
mnero

Wow that is some damn good shooting! I can't even see a target that big at 500 yards, not w/o a good scope. I love to shoot open sight, but my vision limits me to 200 yards or less, mostly lessand my bad right hand means I shoot left handed so it better be a rifle if I am gonna hit a taget past 50 yards. 500 yards wow, I had no idea that was possible, that is awesome. Some of the posters said that is possible with any pistol; even a snub nose? I am buying a long barrel .357 and would love some tips on shooting it accurately, despite my military training I am still a miserable shot with a pistol; not bad with a rifle.
Old April 23, 2011, 11:32 AM   #69
8shot357

Were the heck is your point of aim at 500y? It's seems to me it would be all blue sky's.

Pretty unbelievable but I'm just an average shooter at 25-50 yards. But 500?

TBS, I usualy shoot my snub at those ranges (25-50).
Old April 23, 2011, 12:01 PM   #70
lawnboy

Whatever sighting plan used, you can't get around the fact that you need a lot of holdover to hit anything at that range. Sure the round will go that far, otherwise knowing the background behind your target wouldn't be so important.

And the title of the thread is "Glocks at 500yds?". Not Smiths, not Rugers, not Sigs. Glocks. If you are going to associate the name of any handgun manufacturer with a trick shot right up front like that then of course some will interpret it as extolling the virtures of that make above all others.

At least you posted pictures. Looks like fun. Makes those of us stuck shooting on an indoor range very jealous.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old April 23, 2011, 12:14 PM   #71
9mm

Thread is from 2009 :-)
Old April 23, 2011, 12:39 PM   #72
Desertscout1

The point of aim is the same as usual. It's the sight alignment that changes. The front sight is still on the target but it is no longer flush with the top of the rear sight. The pic below is blurry because of the focus being on the closer object (and I'm not a photographer) but it shows about what my sight alignment is. This equates to about a 55' holdover.
Old April 23, 2011, 12:41 PM   #73
Desertscout1

Quote:
Thread is from 2009 :-)
Yep, you're right! Thanks for sharing!
Old April 23, 2011, 01:16 PM   #74
mavracer

Quote:
The pic below is blurry because of the focus being on the closer object
I see something else very telling in that pic, some good honest wear, somebody's been practicing. some say a little goes a long way.I'd say in this case a very long way.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 23, 2011, 01:54 PM   #75
Desertscout1

Thanks mavracer! I'm not shooting nearly as much as I used to. It seems now that I own a gun shop and instruct full-time, I just don't have the time that I used to for it but I'm still probably doing about 8-10,000 rounds a year just in handgun