The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 13, 2012, 09:12 AM   #1
HALL,AUSTIN

What are some good .22lr ammo companies?

I know that CCI greentag, aguila, and wolf match are pretty good. But are there any others to try for optimal performance? Or is it a try 'em all type thing?
Old June 13, 2012, 09:32 AM   #2
oneounceload

Eley makes ammo that is used in the Olympics
Old June 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #3
darkroommike

Pistol or rifle? Many competition loads are a bit "dirty" for pistol use or for some auto loaders. I use a lot of CCI Blazer .22 and Federal Target bulk, CCI Mini Mags, etc.

Your gun will tell you what it likes, I have a Ruger Standard that I thought would chamber and shoot anything but it doesn't like Remington Golden hollow point bulk, it still shoots it accurately but I get frequent jams. And in a couple of my other guns, Remington has ignition issues. So in my own case I have stopped buying Remington. This isn't a blanket condemnation of Remington but it just doesn't work for me.

Again, don't buy a lot of anything, until your gun tells you what to use, I got the gift of a bulk pack of Remington Golden HP from a guy that was having more issues with it than I do. I shot the last of it yesterday, today the Standard gets a detail strip as a reward.
Old June 13, 2012, 10:16 AM   #4
essohbe

Not Remmington...

Old June 13, 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Smokey Joe

Ammo in YOUR .22...

Hall, Austin--Most firearms tend to "like" a particular brand of ammo, or, if handloading, a particular combination of ingredients, better than some other.

Rimfires are known to be particularly picky that way.

So, you already answered your own question:
Quote:
Or is it a try 'em all type thing?
Yep. Especially when going for a high degree of accuracy. So: You buy one box of every different .22LR you can get your hands on. Go to range and shoot a couple of targets with each one, as carefully as you can, from a good solid rest. You'll find 1 or 2 that the rifle in question does better with, than the balance of the different boxes you bought. And, it's good practice for you, too, in sight picture and trigger squeeze.

Enjoy.

--Smokey Joe
Old June 13, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Marquezj16

I've tried most of the bulk stuff. My favoritrEs are Fed Auto Match, CCI SV and Blazer. I tend to stay away from Remington, however, I tried their shurshot HV and it has worked for me.
Old June 13, 2012, 11:38 AM   #7
PoorRichRichard

Quote:
Not Remmington...
THIS!!!
Old June 13, 2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Fireman214

I use the Federal lightning for my .22 league. It is pretty consistent through my Savage mark 2FV and it is around $1.80 a box from wally world.
Old June 13, 2012, 12:18 PM   #9
rr2241tx

Tell us what you are shooting with and what you are shooting at and maybe we can narrow the list a little.
Old June 13, 2012, 03:00 PM   #10
HALL,AUSTIN

Im shooting a savage mkII and usually shooting at either small game out to 50yds or one of those propane tanks that goes on the bottom of a grill from 100-150yards.
Old June 13, 2012, 08:24 PM   #11
wnycollector

Quote:
CCI SV
+1 on this. CCI SV is very accurate ammo that wont break the bank.
Old June 13, 2012, 09:06 PM   #12
bigalshootmupper

My 10/22 only shoots Remington Golden Bullet with 100% reliability. Everything else is about 1 out of 10 jam. I have tried about 20 different varieties. These shoot not too accurate, about 3 MOA. I can get better ammo, like Win super x or Wolf match, to shoot about 1.5 MOA, which is pretty good for a 10/22. That's my 3 best 22 ammos.
Old June 13, 2012, 09:14 PM   #13
wingman

Aguila match seems to give me best accuracy in various 22's.
Old June 13, 2012, 09:22 PM   #14
tahunua001

american eagle bulk pack, federal bulk pack, velocitors, stingers are all good options. stay away from remington goldens, winchester 333s, and armscor.
Old June 13, 2012, 09:27 PM   #15
Regolith

I've had good luck with the Federal bulk stuff.
Old June 13, 2012, 10:24 PM   #16
chucknbach

Just get what ammo you want than keep buying rifles till you get one that shoots it.

CCI Mini Mags worked best in mine. The Velociters were slightly better at 50 but at 100yds they looked like a shotgun blast. Some of the different federals I tried weren't bad.

My daughters gun shot the CCI SV's the best.

Both of my son's gun's I haven't tested yet.
Old June 13, 2012, 10:32 PM   #17
JWT

I've had no problems with CCI Blazer or Federal bulk packs and the price is right. Also been fine with Winchesters. I won't touch Remingtons, whatever waxy 'stuff' they put on 'em seems to cause problems in all my semi autos.
Old June 13, 2012, 10:38 PM   #18
Casimer

SK Jagd is another brand worth checking out for match and target grade 22lr at a decent price.

But like others have stated, it's best to test a bunch of ammo. That's the only way to determine which is going to be the most accurate from your rifle.
Old June 13, 2012, 11:02 PM   #19
mrangelo

I tested a lot of brands and many Eley's for my Target Pistols and rifles but every time I finish and prefer the CCI Pistol Match, hard to find but I can put 5 shots in the same hole at 25 yards with my S&W 41 and Morini CM22, also I use the same ammo for my Ruger 77-22 and at 100 yards the group is in 1/4 of an inch. No jams, no nothing.

I hate Remington ammo! And use Federal Bulk for plinking only with an AR-22
Old June 13, 2012, 11:53 PM   #20
Bamashooter

I tried some winchester 1330fps hi velocity stuff the other day and wasnt impressed. Actually quite disappointed. I love CCI Mini Mags, Green Tag, Blazer, Velocitors, and Stingers. Wolf Match is very good ammo. The only bulk I really like is Federal 510 40gr. lead. There are lots of ammo I havent tried but Im satisfied with what I have available.
Old June 13, 2012, 11:58 PM   #21
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrangelo View Post
I tested a lot of brands and many Eley's for my Target Pistols and rifles but every time I finish and prefer the CCI Pistol Match, hard to find but I can put 5 shots in the same hole at 25 yards with my S&W 41 and Morini CM22, also I use the same ammo for my Ruger 77-22 and at 100 yards the group is in 1/4 of an inch. No jams, no nothing.

I hate Remington ammo! And use Federal Bulk for plinking only with an AR-22
1/4 MOA at 100 yards!? Do you compete in smallbore benchrest matches with that thing? If you don't, then you should. One ragged hole at 100 yards with a .22LR (EVEN with an Anschutz) would be something to behold. I shot a roughly 1\4" 5-shot group with one of my .22LR at 50 yards (only once) and I was ecstatic.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old June 14, 2012, 12:51 AM   #22
iamdb

Quote:
Aguila match seems to give me best accuracy in various 22's.
Aguila is Mexican ammo. When you buy it you are supporting a country that has disarmed it's law abiding citizens and has pushed lawmakers here in the US to take steps to make gun ownership illegal. Please find ammo made in a more gun friendly country.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old June 14, 2012, 05:27 AM   #23
Navy joe

I'm supporting a company that has the best of modern equipment, uses Eley priming and their ammo has given me great results. Besides, if they are doing a job that Americans won't do, since apparently Federal and Remington can't be bothered to make decent .22, while staying in their own country isn't that a good thing? I suspect, but can't prove that PMC .22 is made in the same factory, I had great luck with their cheap stuff, at one time $90 a case. The bulk crap, generally you get what you pay for. That my gun shot PMC sidewinder as well as Wolf, I was surprised.

I won't buy Federal .22 out of spite, I once paid good money for a bunch of expensive target ammo and it was garbage. I'm sure it's great stuff, but once bitten...
Old June 14, 2012, 07:20 AM   #24
johnbt

"SK Jagd"

Lapua, makers of high-end .22 target ammo (among other things), bought SK Jagd in 1992. Lapua also owns/makes Wolf rimfire and the last time I looked it was made at the SK Jagd plant in the former East Germany. (The overall owner is the Nammo Group)

I always start ammo testing a .22 with the cheap 50-round boxes in case I get lucky and the gun loves the cheap stuff. I know most .22s are going to love the $15/box Lapua and Eley.

John
Old June 14, 2012, 07:36 AM   #25
HALL,AUSTIN

So I tried all the ammo that was at my local walmart. Winchester 555, Federal auti match, Federal lightning, CCI stingers, CCI minimags, Remington subsonics, and Remington bulk whatever you call it. So far we are up to 7 different choices. It really liked the subs, with tge federal automatch being a close second. But I will have to scope the mkII to find out what it is really capable of.