The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 21, 2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Savage_The_Barbarian

First post - Need help identifying revolvers

Hello:

New to the forum and to BP. Was buying some long arms for hunting when I was offered some BP pistols. As I always wanted a 'western' revolver, I decided to check these out and see if I would be interested in going into BP shooting as well as cartridge shooting.

Unfortunately, what I was told and what I think that I have may be two different things. I was told that the pistols that I was purchasing were Uberti's but I think that they are Piettas. As I said I am new to this so I would appreciate any information that you can provide. I have attached several picturs of the two pistols. The quality is not that good but its the best that I can do with my camera.

This is the first revolver:

This is the second one:

Based on the information that I could obtain on line, I know that one was made in 1985 [AN] and the other in 1986 [AP]. They are of Italian manufacture based upon the Proof seals seen here:

These pistols look like the ones seen here at this link:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/produ...Collection.tpl

and look like the 410PIE and the 430PIE.

As I said, being new to this, I am unsure who the manufacture of these revolvers are. The only difference on the barrels is the second revolver (not brass) has the following on the top of the barrel "ARMI SAN PABLO".

Thanks for your help.
Old October 21, 2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Hawg

Armi San Paolo is a Euroarms. Pietta has FLLI PIETTA on the right side of the barrel and a diamond with FAP in it for a trademark. Uberti has a front view of a rifled barrel with a U inside it for a trademark. You can check here for identifying most major manufacturers.
http://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PD...Proofmarks.pdf
Old October 21, 2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Savage_The_Barbarian

OK now I am really confused.

There is no FLLI PIETTA on either side of the barrels or on either revolver or a diamond with FAP in it.

Niether pistol has a rifled barrel emblem with a U in it.

Both revolvers have the emblems as shown in the third picture down on the original post. These emblems (Proofs?) are on the right side of the barrels also.

I tried to go through the link that you put to the pdf document last night but I was unable to positively identify the pistols and that is why I posted the question here.

These two emblems are the only ones that I can find anywhere on the revolvers.

They are on the barrels, the frames, and the cylinders.

After reading the entire document again, I am still not sure what I have.

Thanks for your help and any other information.

Edit: OK one of the revolvers is obviously the Euroarms as I have now seen an example of the reproduction firearm and it is almost identical to what I have. The brass frame is still up in the air though.

Last edited by Savage_The_Barbarian; October 21, 2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: New information
Old October 21, 2007, 08:48 PM   #4
JayC

Drop the loading lever

Did you look on the bottom surface of the barrel, hidden by the loading lever? I don't recall the make, but I recently saw an Italian repro marked there with the actual manufacturer in English, not a logo.
Old October 21, 2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Savage_The_Barbarian

Nothing on the brass framed revolver. However the Euroarm has 512 DGG where the GG's are stamped one on top of the other.

No other marking found there.

Thanks for your help. Any other ideas?
Old October 21, 2007, 10:03 PM   #6
mykeal

The pictures you posted are the marks of the Italian proof houses; they are evidence that the gun's parts were proof tested. However, they provide no information as to the manufacturer.

The DGG symbol is the initials of the founders of Armi San Paolo, now Euroarms: Grassi, Doninelli and Gazzola. That revolver was made by Armi San Paolo, not Uberti.

Here are some other Italian manufacturer's marks:
Palmetto is a palm tree, sometimes inside an oval outline.
Pedersoli uses the lower case letters dp inside an oval outline
Armi Sport used the letters AC inside a circle.
Armi San Marco uses the letters ASM.

The mark may be very difficult to find. Try under the loading lever at the base of the barrel, where it enters the frame. It may be necessary to remove the loading lever from the gun.
Old October 21, 2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Savage_The_Barbarian

Thanks for that information. I will begin the search to see if I can find something else that I missed.
Old October 21, 2007, 10:55 PM   #8
Savage_The_Barbarian

The only thing that I found there was the numeral 5. No other markings on either the cylinder pin or the lever.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Old October 22, 2007, 02:36 AM   #9
Rusty.it

The brass framed may be an ASM (armi san Marco) i had one some times ago and one particular say me something, look at the cylinder pin, the hold part under the loading lever, is not smooth but milled with small line to help the finger hold, i have seen it only in old ASM
The second one with steel frame may be Pietta as one other costructor!
ciao
Rusty
Old October 22, 2007, 12:04 PM   #10
Savage_The_Barbarian

OK I decided to disassemble the revolver completly to figure out the manufacturer. Here are ALL the marking on the revolver and parts. The only thing that I did not do is remove the barrel from the receiver.

Cylinder pin:

Frame:

Underside of barrel:

Frame (right side) above trigger:

Barrel (right side):

Barrel (left side):

The number 5 was marked on the interior of each of the grips. It was also on the trigger guard. Wonder what all the number 5's mean. Could it be the 5th run that day? The 5th pistol in the run? Maybe the worker number that assemble it?

Thanks again.
Old October 22, 2007, 01:13 PM   #11
Savage_The_Barbarian

Solved

OK I finally found the mak I was searching for on the revolver. It is very very faint and it was not until I got the firearm out into the brignt sun shine and used a magnifying glass that I could make it out. The emblem is FAP in a horizontal diamond which makes this a brass .44 Remington 1858 Texas Army a F.LLI PIETTA revolver.

The interesting thing is that the revolver only has the FAP and diamond but no other markings to identify it as a PIETTA.

Thank you everyone for you help. I least I now know that I have a:

Euroarms (DGG) .44 Remmington 1858 New Army Revolver (Black Powder)
FAP Pietta (FAP) .44 Remmington 1858 Texas Army Revolver (Black Powder)

Don't really know the value of these but will continue the research to find out.

Thanks again for all the help provided.

(MODERATORS: Could you change the title of this thread to add SOLVED)
Thanks
Old October 22, 2007, 02:51 PM   #12
mykeal

Excellent. I was sure there had to be a manufacturer's mark there someplace.
Old October 22, 2007, 04:39 PM   #13
Hawg

I got this 58 Pietta used for 130.00, seller said only around 50 rounds fired through it. Got this holster with it too, not the belt tho.
Old October 22, 2007, 06:24 PM   #14
Savage_The_Barbarian

Nice score on the above.