The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 19, 2007, 12:19 PM   #1
Muldoon

Need info on flintlock rifle

I am researching a rifle purchased by a family member. It is a flinter with a Golcher lock and the initials of the maker JHF. Initial information from my own resource material indicate that James Golcher lived in Philadelphia and provided locks made in Birmingham, England stamped with his name. And that he did not make firearms, as has been many times eroniously stated. The initials JHF have been attributed to one John(Johahn) H. Faust(Foust)-circa 1835-1850 of Berks County, PA, however I can find no mention or listing of his names in any of my references. Any information would be appreciated.
Old October 19, 2007, 02:54 PM   #2
ED21

You might ask your question here:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu.../fusionbb.php?

IF you get an answer, post a reply here as well. Thanks
Old October 19, 2007, 04:13 PM   #3
arcticap

Another informative muzzle loading site to ask at is:

http://www.americanlongrifles.com/am...-BBS-frame.htm

Try asking under Antique Gun Collecting.
Old October 21, 2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Muldoon

Thanks. I appreciate the help. I posted my request on on the longrifle site, but am having difficulty getting registered on the muzzleloadingforum.
Old October 22, 2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Muldoon

ED21 & Articap,

I have received some information on my inquirey, but only from the Longrifle site. The muzzleloading forum site still has not processed my registration. Anyway, here is what I have found so far.

John Faust was a disciple of John Derr in the Oley Valley area of PA, (Derr was apprenticed to Henry Mauger, a farmer and stoncutter, who also made very fine and unusual rifles). I have seen one of Faust's rifles which would qualify as a Rocky Mountain gun, being sturdy, and short barled with a large smooth bore. Although stout and a gun that would survive a lot of use, it is very attractive with the Mauger 'falling leaf' patchbox motif, nice carving and a silver moon inlay on the cheek rest, and good architecture. Stock wood is a fine piece of striped maple. His work is rarely seen and given his years of working in later times, he many not have made too many pieces.
This information comes out of the kindness of the late Wester White who was an encyclopedia of information on the early gun makers. Hope it helps some in your search; good luck.
Regards-Dick

Frank Sellers lists, in "American Gunsmiths":

JOSEPH H. FAUST - Born 1818, Worked in Alsace, Pennsylvania, 1844 - 1880. Percussion rifles and shotguns.

I had a rifle by J.H. Faust for years ---with silver diamond studs and lots of brass. As was pointed out, Faust was trained by John Derr - who in turn was trained by Henry Mauger--all in Berks County, and all 3 used very similar patchbox designs. Faust was perhaps the last Berks County maker of flint rifles, and in fact was interviewed by the Reading Eagle newspaper in 1898, as a retired gunmaker.
He almost always used barrels made by the Wyomissing Creek barrel makers (as did Derr) and my rifle had a barrel by Henry Worley. I intend to show the rifle in my up-coming book on Berks County Gunmakers.
Faust should be more recognized as a competent maker and one the last to make flintlock long rifles.

Patrick Hornberger