The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2002, 10:46 AM   #1
moredes

---------Reloading for a 45-70 BFR

Sheer funk moved me into this gun. I wanted to pass the time while my rifle cools down on the silhouette line. Of the choices I allowed myself, the XP100 is impossible to find in the caliber I wanted (.308) in the PRK. I just can't swallow the looks of the Encore, and I got a damn good price on the BFR, so I bit.

I need to learn what to reload. I'm hoping to kick dust around with even the 500-600yd targets; it didn't seem impossible with a BFR in 444 Marlin; I'm hoping the 45-70 will be the same.

Anyone have any pet recipes for this specific configuration? How heavy a bullet is too heavy for this gun? Do I dare shoot the big factory rounds intended for rifles, or should I stay under a 400gr bullet limit? I need all the advice y'all can give; I've never shot this caliber nor reloaded for it.

A wise man would have probably coughed up for an Encore in .308.

Thank you.
Old October 22, 2002, 12:47 AM   #2
Paul Fitz Jones

45-70 bullet & Load

As a rep for the Saeco bullet company in the 70's I had made 5 designs for that caliber and sold 98 of them having 2 of the most popular left that I dug out of 1970's storage. They are competition quality 4 cavity Lifetime molds of Meehanite with handles. the 2, I have were made for the 1895 Marlin lever action with two driving bands and 2 lube grooves with a crimp groove also. They are 344 grain and according to the Hornaday #3 manual will take any North American animal including Bear and Moose with up to 53 grains of IMR 3031. I designed them to need minimal sizing with tire weights to size at .4580 and can be made larger diameter if linotype is used. The most accurate competition target load is with 48 grains of 3031. The Current Redding Saeco Co. lists their sore shoulder syndrome 500 gr similiar bullet molds for $192.50 and I am selling my better quality one for $99 + $5 shipping and needed postal insurance unless someone else beats you to one of them. These are the most beautiful molds ever made with Gunstock patterned walnut handles and are unique.

You are welcome to ask for an e-mail pic of them.

I also have 3 1,000 watt 20 pound tip dip cast iron Lifetime pots left and several Original patent Tool Steel Lead Hardness testers.

I retired in 1979 after selling a thousand molds.
Police Firearms Instructor

Last edited by Paul Fitz Jones; October 22, 2002 at 01:21 AM.