The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2017, 02:26 AM   #26
tallball

The obvious answers are the Kel-Tec P3AT or the copycat Ruger LCP. They are 3880acp. I don't know the exact dimensions, but my P3AT sure feels smaller then my Taurus 22 tip-up, and it shoots 380 instead of 22. There is really no comparison for SD in tiny pistols. There is no 9mm as small.
Old January 29, 2017, 04:55 PM   #27
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The ONLY advantage of .25 is centerfire ammo is slightly more reliable. Almost all rimfires will have the occasional ammo-related misfire, however quality ammo will come close to centerfire reliability.
I will trust "slightly" every day over your admitted "ocasional" when it comes to a CCW firearm chambering. Would never want to wish I had that slight advantage when that ocasional failure happens.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 30, 2017, 03:24 PM   #28
osbornk

If I didn't have a good Taurus TCP, I would be hard pressed not to try the new Taurus Spectrum. https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...m-380-pistol/#
Old January 30, 2017, 03:32 PM   #29
1bearz

I have the Sig 938 and found it to be extremely accurate at 7 yards, 3". Comfortable for both my wife and I to shoot, smooth trigger and lightweight. Easily concealable and packs a 9mm punch.
Old January 30, 2017, 07:30 PM   #30
Bill DeShivs

At 7 yards a Red Ryder BB gun is extremely accurate!
Old February 2, 2017, 12:47 AM   #31
Miles42

Another vote for a Sig P938. My EDC and is a great firearm.
Old February 2, 2017, 06:42 AM   #32
Cosmodragoon

The smallest 9mm I've found to be easy or fun to shoot is the Walther PPS. I don't know if the smaller flush-fitting magazine is included but it definitely helps to keep it small. If you normally carry a spare magazine, you can use one of the bigger ones. With the large magazine's full grip extension, it's a nice little plinker.

If you need to go smaller, you've got plenty of recommendations for pocket guns in .380. There are also some good guns in .32 and that's where I'd personally draw the line. The .25 seems pretty obscure for what it offers. I suppose it would be better than semi-automatic rimfire... I'd still need to be in quite the bind to consider carrying less than a .32 acp.
Old February 3, 2017, 12:25 PM   #33
JDBerg

Quote:
The smallest 9mm I've found to be easy or fun to shoot is the Walther PPS. I don't know if the smaller flush-fitting magazine is included but it definitely helps to keep it small. If you normally carry a spare magazine, you can use one of the bigger ones.
I got my PPS M2 last year and it came with the 6rd. flush fit mag and the 7rd. extended mag in the box, then I picked up 2 additional 8rd. extended mags. I can carry it beautifully with the 6rd. mag and carry (2) 8rd. mags as spares. And as good as the trigger was when new, it is SUPERB after @1,500 rounds, so keep that fact in mind, it's a great shooter for such a relatively small pistol.
Old February 3, 2017, 01:57 PM   #34
RickB

I just completed a brief test of the Walther PPS M2, and liked it a lot. Pretty nice trigger, decent sights, handles well considering the short butt.
I considered buying one - it would be my first polymer, striker-fired gun - but got a SIG P938, instead.
I'm an old, guns-should-be-metal, single action, manual safety stick in the mud, and the SIG just feels right.
Despite horror stories of 7#-10+#, gritty triggers, I'd say mine, with a couple of hours of dry-fire, is a smooth 6#, the night sights are a nice touch, and it has a solid, quality feel.
The Kimber Micro 9 has the same relationship to their Micro .380 as the P938 does to the P238, and I considered the Kimber, but it doesn't come with an ambi safety, while all of SIGs various P938 models do.
Old February 3, 2017, 02:34 PM   #35
Boncrayon

Ideas for a new Subcompact or micro semi

For small size and caliber, I chose the Ruger LC9S. Compact, and carries 7+1.