The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2015, 02:07 PM   #1
TBBH-Teacher

52 Grain BTHP with IMR4064

Does anyone have any load data on this setup. I can not find any load data that matches a 52 grain bullet. I can only find a 55g and a 53g. Thanks in advance and I guess I should say I am a new comer to the hobby started this week.

I will put what I have purchased to load with here and if you have any suggestions let me know.

RCBS rock chucker supreme
RCBS case lube kit
RCBS range master 750 scales
RCBS Trim Mate case prep center
223 caliber Worlds Finest Trimmer 1.75 case length
Frankford Arsenal tumbler and separator
RCBS 223 SB dies
RCBS 5-0-5 Manual Scales
Lyman Powder trickler

On the list of things to get
RCBS charge Master Dispenser to go with the scales
A funnel that fits .22 caliber better
Hand case trimmer (maybe one that attaches to a drill)
Old January 3, 2015, 02:19 PM   #2
BWM

Start at the low end for the 53 grain. Then work your load up from there. That should work OK. IMR 4064 is 120 on the burn rare ACC 4064 is 121 ACC 2520 is 122 I hope this helps you. GOOD LUCK

Last edited by BWM; January 3, 2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old January 3, 2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Use the 53 gr data

You can find good load data here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435562
Old January 3, 2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

TBBH-Teacher,

Welcome to the forum. Since 52 grain boattails are made by Berger, Hornady, JLK, Nosler, Sierra and Winchester, and they have different lengths that take up different amounts of space in the case, it would be more useful to determine a load range to know what your bullet, case, and primer will be, rather than what the equipment that will load it is. (All good equipment by the way, but if you have the WFT, why do you also want a hand trimmer?) If you haven't chosen all those components yet, knowing what kind of gun will fire them could be useful.

There is a reason you are having trouble finding 4064 loads for that bullet weight. It (4064) is really too slow burning and too bulky for it. Even the 53 grain load, compressed by a challenging 107% load density, can't quite get within 17% of the SAAMI maximum average pressure (MAP). This is because the light bullet weight has too little mass to offer adequate reaction force for the slow burning powder to build pressure against. In effect, the light bullet is so easily accelerated down the bore that it grows the volume of space behind it (called expansion, in interior ballistics) faster than the slow powder can make enough gas to be able to reach full rated peak pressure for the round. Indeed, with a 24" barrel, about 10% of the charge is still unburned by the time the bullet clears the muzzle.

A heavier bullet helps address that. You could do better with 77 and 80 grain match bullets or even heavier, using 4064. Then the peak charge is only compressed about 102% (easier to do) and ballistic efficiency (the percent of stored chemical energy in the powder that is converted to kinetic energy in the bullet) goes from an anemic 24% for the 52 grain bullet to 30% for the 80 grain bullet, which is a more normal number for medium power rifle cartridges.

For your 52 grain bullets, you will likely find either IMR or H 4198 or Reloader 10X or H322 are better. H335 is a spherical propellant that is a little slower than those I just suggested, but is so dense that you can put enough into the case to get to normal pressures and velocities your bullet. It's actually a canister grade version of a military powder intended for 5.56 NATO, but it wants a magnum primer to light consistently and I don't know of anyone getting superb accuracy from it. The stick powders are easier to work with from that standpoint.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 3, 2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old January 3, 2015, 07:14 PM   #5
KEYBEAR

Try BLC-2 AA 2230 OR AA 2015 all great powders for a 52 Gr, bullet .
Old January 3, 2015, 08:43 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Buy a couple of good manuals--- before starting!

Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Sierra, are all reputable. Read them a couple of times, and try to incorporate the important essentials into your mind set. Hand loading is a great hobby, addictive, and can get expensive if you don't keep a lid on your want last (wish I could follow this advice myself.)
Old January 3, 2015, 10:44 PM   #7
TBBH-Teacher

Thanks for the replies. Uncle that was a good write up I don't understand all of it yet but I do get what you are saying about the projectile is left the barrel before the slow burn rate finishes wasting powder and losing energy I would guess. So All that being said I should switch that powder to one of the other suggested. I do not know as of right now all the factors that go into selecting a powder. I look for load data and if it has load data for it I use it. I had the IMR-4064 for the 55 grain Barnes TSX bullets I was using. Thought it would work as well with the 52 grain bullets. Thanks again.